command-line options

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by DolfTraanberg, Nov 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Hi all,
    I want to use TDS for scanning e-mail attachments from a batchfile before forwarding them to our mailserver for dispatching.
    I think I've looked everywhere and found only one parameter which I can use (-scand <directorypath>). I'm sure there must be more options, like how and where the logfile of the scan can be stored. Is there a place where I can obtain this information?
    Thanks,
    Dolf.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Dollefie,
    If you do a normal scan with TDS you can save the scanalerts with a rightclick on the finds to scandump.txt in the TDS directory; if it is a rightclick scan on a file or folder for instance via windows explorer, and if all is clean and there are no alerts, you'll see all that dialog in your logfile if you configured TDS to log at all which can be found in the "logs" folder in the TDS-3 directory.
    In TDS-4 we hope to have the much asked emailscanning as well.
    Think Wayne/Gavin might have good advice for this moment.

3. DolfTraanberg

Thank you Jooske for the fast reply.
    I found out that TDS has remarkable possibilities, but what I want to be able to, is building, an automated mail-handling system, so that it will not be required for me to sit behind the box waiting for incoming e-mails to scan. So what I have done till now is forwarding all incoming mails to a system account, extract the attachments, check them with McAfee, store them at a central place (if McAfee agrees :)), forward the original mail to the recipient with an added link to the attachment(s).I want to let TDS scan those files also, but this proces can only be done with batch processing, and a way to analyze the logfile by automation. That's why I need those command-line options.
    thanks,
    Dolf.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yeah Dolf, the wish is clear, maybe with either rulesettings in your email client and a file making TDS scan the folder where you get the attachments, either a little scripting with TDS to do so or maybe better a combination with them.
    My own scripting experience is not that advanced yet, to give any ideas, but there are those who can.
    And it might be really easy. In TDS-4 it will be possible in much more easy ways, fingers crossed it will be soon!
    With other scripts for instance the size of a log file was checked all time, if grown checked by what and if it was harmless; such a thing could be done with checking the folder/directory where the attachments are parked for the time being, for instance (counting the amount of files, or total size in folder) which needs a timer to check every XX minutesor every file parked there.
    There must be better ways, looking forward for others to jump in too.

5. DolfTraanberg

Once again Jooske, thanks for responding.
    The processing thing itself is working already, all i have to do is the TDS (and maybe Wormguard) scanning. The command-line instruction I was talking about, does work also, the only thing is the logfile. I know how to extract the info that I need, only I don't know how to produce that logfile. I'm sure there must be a way to do that in a batchfile, if not, i'll start scripting. I've seen most of the scripts and I think I can manage, if I can lay hands on some basics. Didn't think though, ever becoming scriptkiddie :D . But reading all the postings, i don't think it's wise to be waiting for TDS-4, because in this forum are already a lot people with long white beards. :D
    thanks,
    Dolf

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

those are looking for some black knights to play our national theater around 5 December; the others practise training their dogs as a reindeer for later this year.

I have WG on in the background all time. I never did a separate scan with it, as it jumps up automatically when a file is touched. So i can imagine from your place you want to know their load before sending the attachments on.

I wonder the logfile from the console has the structure of TDS-3\logs\nov\23-11-02 za.txt on a dutch windows version and the alerts thing TDS-3\scandump.txt if it gets there (wished it did automatically, hope in next version)

Isn't even a commandline form of scripting, and creating a batchfile :)
    If it had not been with the msagents, i don't think i ever would have put more then two lines on screen and with that a growing understanding of how things can work in that area.
    The SS3 is kind of enhanced VB; there is no manual for it, but a VB manual will do wonders.

7. DolfTraanberg

I suppose the developers had in mind to make TDS (I don't know about WG) interactive e.g. focused on the user instead of sytem-focused (or both). Although I cannot compare it totally with an AV program, when you look at the command-line parameters of McAfee (or F-Secure) you'll notice multiple pages of parameters to use in batch processes. In my opinion, when you want to make your software to be really commercial, this is an absolute requirement. You simply cannot ask companies to have an employee sit behind a server watching what's happening all day. And if I understand correctly, if I use scripting in the way you implement it, I need to let an other computer shout to the computer with TDS to get something done (or let the computer with TDS shout to it self) :D. Should be nice to watch this... for a while.
    But maybe I'm totally wrong about this. Let's wait, maybe the developers have some input on this.

8. DolfTraanberg

For those, who have worked their way down this thread, an update: support from DiamondCS told me that TDS-3 has two command-line options: -scand<directory path> and –scanf<filepath and –name>, but TDS-4 will have more command-line options :D.
    Dolf

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thanks for taking the time to post the update Dolf. It may very well be of use to someone else in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.