Port Explorer Minimize window problem?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Red Dawn, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

I updated my version of PE to the very latest, but have run into a problem. It starts off fine, but as soon as I minimize the window, and it's in my taskbar as an icon, I can never get it to come back up. I double click the icon, I try right clicking it, nothing, it doesn't show anything or allow me to bring it back up. I have to manually kill the process or reboot, and this ALWAYS happens.

I am running Win2k, SP4, and this is a registered copy of PE I'm having issues with. Everything else on my system runs fine, meaning all other applications are good to go, PE does work, but only on starting the application, once minimized, it won't ever come back. Any suggestions on what this could be?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    tried leftclicking on the systry icon to bring it back?

3. Red Dawn

Hi Jooske, yes, as stated, left or right clicking the icon doesn't bring it back, I either must kill the process through taskmanager or reboot

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Simply running Portexplorer.exe again will find the window and show it, no need to terminate and restart.

We will be looking into this problem, hopefully if anyone else can experience it they will also post here.

5. Red Dawn

Hi Jason,

You and I were emailing each other back and forth on this. As stated in my email, once launched and minimized, even running the exe again doesn't bring it back up. I'll have 2 process of the app running which I see in Taskmanger/Process, but the window will never re-appear. I must manually kill the process or reboot for the application to be back at it's normal window. Very difficult to resolve why this issue as come up since installing version 2, and everything else on my machine runs fine, no other software installed, no other issues, systray working fine. Tough call, but I guess until someone thinks of how I could reslove this, I'll have to just keep the main window open at all times.

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

One other thing you might want to check is running Port Explorer in safe mode and seeing if the minimizing works fine there. Worth a shot. :)

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Suppose you all in the installing process did choose for installing quicklaunch and desktop icon i suppose? And in the Port Explorer settings chose to minimize to systray as well?

8. Red Dawn

I'll give your suggestions a shot. On install Jooske, I did the desktop icon option, no quicklauch. I'll look in the options for PE as you stated and see where that gets me.

9. Red Dawn

Jason, same issues even in SafeMode, nothing seems to work...

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

How did you install this update:
    Did you first uninstall the former version or did you install this one over it?
    Could be worth to uninstall all you have, reboot, and install this new version with the quicklaunch and desktop icons and reboot again before or after putting in the registration code.

11. Red Dawn

I've tried everything, and sad to say, nothing works, so I'm giving up. Don't have any clue as to why this doesn't work on my primary machine, so I un-installed it and will just use it on my laptop. Maybe somewhere down the road someone else will have this issue and a fix can be found, but for now, I'll just leave it as is, can't always fix every single issue with a quick walkthrough.

12. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hmm there is some strange issue.. will have to look through all the GUI and window code.. because I can get strange window drawing pauses on Windows 2000.

This area of bugs would be the same as you are having, since you can run it fine if you dont minimize it ? what about if it goes behind another window you launch. Can you switch back to it ? does it draw fine ?

What video card, and what drivers ? what else is running ? please email me an ASViewer log to gavin(at)diamondcs.com.au , you can get ASViewer from http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=asviewer

13. Red Dawn

Hi Gavin, thanks for your response, let me answer your ?

? what about if it goes behind another window you launch. Can you switch back to it,

yes I can switch back, but there is a long pause before I see the screen, like a 10 sec delay maybe, but if I don't minimize, it's still working with the delay as mentioned

? does it draw fine ?

as stated, there is a delay, I can see the title bar, but everything else is white for around 10 sec's, and funny enough, it looks almost like when you first start the program, reading what all is open etc, but yes, there is a draw delay

What video card?

Nvidia GForce 2 card, no overclocking, etc, don't use it for gaming anymore, just a reg video card setup on my primary machine

what drivers ?

Nvidia Detonator 4.4.0.3

what else is running ?

you mean running on startup or at the very moment I try to launch the app? I'll send you the log file as requested, hopefully that can help solve this problem.

Thanks again for the support on this.

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Thanks for helping, Jason has the required info now I think, hopefully to reproduce it. Its most likely only a Windows 2000 issue, could be only on nVidia cards too since we both have that in common. I'm seeing nothing like the problems you are though, its much more subtle when I do find the problem and usually I cant get any issues.

15. Red Dawn

I think you yourself may have found a bug in the "drawing" statement you talked about, as I get that to, when I open a new window above that of PE, but as to the other issue, where I minimize it, and it will never come back, I still don't know what that is about. One thing I did do last night, was redo my primary machine, wiping it clean, and then re-installing my apps, not due to PE, but because I actually do this every 5 months, keeps things running nice and fast. I noticed after my re-install, going into Safe Mode, that now I can in fact get PE to minimiize and then open up again, where as before that, I couldn't. But out of safe mode, I have the same issue, mind you, new install of 2K with SP4, and new install of PE, along with my other apps. Still have the issue of the minimize problem. Once minimized though, the app is working, as it tells me in real time, the amount of sockets opened, how many hidden, etc.

As to the video card, I tried this using the generic MS driver, didn't help me though. o_O

16. kruser

kruser Registered Member

I'm having the same problem.

I'm running PE 2.0 under Win XP Pro Sp2.

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

When I minimize PE to the system tray, I can recall it back to the screen by double clicking the tray icon.
    But, after PE runs for some time minimized then I loose the ability to call it back to the screen.
    I have to use task manager toend it and restart it.
    Even when I can't call it back to the screen, I can hover the mouse over the tray icon it does still show me process information.
    I can't say if this info is accurate however.
    Also when I can't recall back to the screen, the log appears to stop getting new entries.

Tray icon will not respond to a left or right mouse click. Just the popup baloon when hovered over.

17. tony4554

tony4554 Registered Member

I am having a similar problem with the app. My problem is that it is running and in the system tray but I can't open the program at all. This is on an initial install, not an update.
    I have downloaded your trial demo of Portexplorer and I have installed and uninstalled the application 3 times to no avail.
    This is a new laptop (1 week) with Ghost and Microsoft Office 2k3 added to the usual Dell installed apps.
    What do you think the problem may be?

After I install the program:
    The program icon shows up in system tray
    The program shows up in All programs menu & on desktop
    When I cick on the shortcut in AllPrograms Portexplorer - The hourglass displays for about 4 seconds and does nothing.
    I Doubleclick desktop shortcut - nothing happens
    I Doublick systray icon - nothing happens
    I Rt Click systray icon - nothing happens
    I Open Windows explorer Click on executable in program folder directory - nothing happens
    I end up with several process instances in Windows task manager.
    I can delete and end all instances except the last one.
    I tried Systernals Process Explorer ver. 9.02 and could not kill the process with it either.
    I can not shut down or shut down/restart properly because the process will not end.
    I have to push the power button to shut the laptop off.

Laptop specs:
    Windows XPPro SP2 and all updates to date -
    OS is Genuine validated on a Dell inspiron 6000D laptop.
    RAM 1GB
    HD 80 GB
    Firewall and antivirus software - Norton 2005 security suite
    Spyware software - Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.615
    Expires on: 12/31/2005 Spyware Definition Version: 5743 (8/9/2005 9:24:25 PM)

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Either a required system files problem:
    not likely since you have a new pc and all new recent software but there could be a missing file
    or LSPfix could do wonders.

Did you with the uninstalling make sure the dcsws2.dll was unregistered and did you reboot after that?
    And with both un- and installing did you make sure all scanners and resident protection was all closed down?
    And after uninstalling, did you make sure the capture.bin and maybe also the logfiles were deleted from the Port Explorer directory before a new install?
    By the sound of it Port Explorer was not all properly installed or an LSPfix problem.
    You did reboot again after the Port Explorer installation?

19. tony4554

tony4554 Registered Member

I initiated the LSP Fix and all reported as good on the laptop. Each time I did the installs I did NOT turn off the firewall, security or Antivirus. That may be the problem. I will try the installation on another computer. Sorry for such a long delay in getting back to the forum.

20. Mercy_Me

Mercy_Me Registered Member

I just want to report that I have the problem with system tray also.

21. Fireworks_75

Fireworks_75 Guest

Re: Port Explorer Minimize window problem? AN ANSWER

first, sorry for my english
    second, i had the problem, PE non opening, even with two running intask manager...
    But, try this, it works;;;
    Before clicking PE icon,
    deactivate NORTON, and it will work properly...
    The new problem is to configrate NIS with PE,
    someone has an idea?
    Fireworks_75 (Paris,France)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.