Avira Rescue System Beta Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheKid7, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I wonder if the "New" Avira Rescue System has 'sort of' been released. I see no mention of its release at the Avira Beta website. I see only a new Beta version dated April 23, 2013.

However, I now see three download options at the official Avira Rescue System download page. There is now a second ISO download option (dated April 30, 2013) which seems to match the download ISO file size of the Beta version.

2. TheKid7

The MD5 Checksum of the ISO that I downloaded from the official Avira Rescue System web page does not match the MD5 Checksum given for the latest Beta ISO.

3. TheKid7

Attached is an image of my Windows Explorer showing that the size of the ISO file of the new version of the Avira Rescue System Beta ISO, which is available for download from the Avira Rescue System website, is slightly larger than the latest official new Avira Rescue System Beta ISO.

I am assuming that the ISO which is available for download from the official Avira Rescue System website is some sort of Pre-Release(?), but I do not know.

Attached Files:

4. TheKid7

I still don't see any mention of the new Avira Rescue System Beta having been released.

However, I now see a May 14, 2013 date for the ISO file on the official Avira Rescue System download page. I am 'guessing' that the newer ISO file date is related to having updated Malware signatures. I have not yet downloaded and tried this newer ISO file.

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I don't either. But I can't seem to find the one you see? (5/14/13)

6. TheKid7

7. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Do you know what the difference is between the large Avira Rescue System (500 megabytes) and the Avira AntiVir Rescue System (250 megabytes)?

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

9. TheKid7

I think that the larger ISO file is the new version of the Avira's Rescue CD. I have not yet tried the one with the larger ISO file size. As far as I can tell, the new version is still officially in Beta Testing. I think that the smaller ISO is the current official Avira Rescue CD.

10. TheKid7

The larger ISO file is no longer available for download at the official Avira Rescue System download page.

11. TheKid7

The Beta Testing is still in progress. So I guess that it will be a while before the release from Beta Testing. There is a new Build of the Beta dated a couple of days ago.

12. TheKid7

The new Avira Rescue System RC (Release Candidate) was officially released to Beta Testers today. This could be a sign that in the near future the new Avira Rescue System will be officially released to the Public.

13. TheKid7

Still no Official Release. I would have thought that it would have been released by now.

14. TheKid7

Avira just released a new build of the Avira Rescue System Beta.

I am happy to see that the project is still active.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Download product installation files & documentation:
    http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-rescue-system

--------------------
    "The Avira Rescue System is a free-of-charge product that comes with an inbuilt product
    license that runs for 12 months. If the license runs out, the user is requested to
    download another version from the Avira Homepage."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  16. TheKid7

I am happy to see that the Avira Rescue System is finally out of Beta Testing.

17. TheKid7

I gave the new Avira Rescue System a try today on a 'clean' Windows XP Pro 32 bit PC System Partition. As a precaution, I made an Image of the Windows System Partition.

As expected, the scan was very fast (~15 minutes). There were no false positives.

Comments:

1. The GUI (Graphical User Interface) is very nice and easy to understand.

2. I wish there was a 'Report Only' option.

3. A novice may have trouble figuring out how to change folders to save the log file to the physical hard drive. I had to go to 'File System' and then 'Target' to get to the PC's hard drive listing.

4. The 'html' extension was not automatically applied to the log file. I had to change Windows Explorer settings to 'show file extensions' to add 'html' to the end of the log file.

5. There is a backup software called "Deja Dup Backup Tool". I need to see if this software could be useful.

I just wish that I had an 'infected' Windows PC for testing the new Avira Rescue System.

18. anon

anon Registered Member

The 'Report Only' option was omitted in the new version. :thumbd:

19. anon

anon Registered Member

20. TheKid7

I see that the Avira Rescue System now shows a date of September 9. I wish that Avira would do near daily updates like they used to do.

21. TheKid7

I see that the Avira Rescue System now shows a date of October 2. It appears that they are updating the Avira Rescue System around once a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.