TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have been using TinyWall for a couple of days now and I am really impressed by it's simplicity and ease of use. That's exactly what I have been looking for. It works like a charm so far. Congratulations ultim.:) By the way is there a link somewhere for a donation?

3. Antarctica

Must have been blind or I maybe I need new glasses, I just found it.:D

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Just downloaded TinyWall. Im using Lenovo Thinkpad X230, Windows 8 and the Lenovo System Update would fail to update my software.
    I have tried the following:
    - auto rule creationg --> Failed
    - whitelist by executable --> Failed
    - whilelist by process --> Failed
    - whitelist by windows --> Can't find executable
    - disabling TW --> Normal update
    I ended up creating my rule by looking through the recently blocked items. Lenovo System Update works now but there is obviously some kind of incompatibility.

5. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

hi, I dropped by to ask if TinyWall have incorporated an IP blocklist feature already. :D

6. Antarctica

Had a little problem this morning with TinyWall. The Application Exceptions page is blank. I had about 8-10 applications listed and they are all gone.o_O Anyone else had similar problem?
    Thanks

7. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Yes, Tinywall is somewhat temperamental, always had problems with the Whitelist program by window, or adding to many at a time to the " Application Exception" list. If I go slow and add one program at a time , and never use that Whitelist program by window" option, it works fine.
    I still keep using Tinywall for it's security and simplicity.
    Hope the new version is on it's way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  8. Antarctica

Thanks for the feed back Seven64. If that happend again, I will try to go slow and add only one at a time.

9. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

You are very welcome, also as a side note I stopped cleaning my computer with the "clean and Re-boot" option that some cleaners have. I have run into problems with this scenario also, Tinywall service is not available (grey icon).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  10. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi Boys (and Girls?)! I'm here to assure you that TinyWall is being worked on, and the changelog is growing quite nicely. By the number of changelog items, we're definetely looking forward to the largest non-major version in TW's history, so you can expect some improvement. This is still a maintenance release though, so don't expect new features. Just ironing out some issues, making things nicer, and bringing stuff up-to-date.

Right now I'm hacking together a nifty little tool to optimize the localized resource files (coz trust me, you don't wanna do it by hand). I realized they contain quite a lot of redundant information, so by finding and removing those bits, I'm hoping for some relatively significant size reduction. The savings will probably be offset by the large number of new localizations, so I wouldn't count on the overall size decreasing in the end, but at least the growth should be a lot smaller ;)

As far as TW itself is concerned, I should be done with most of the code changes, unless something unexpected comes to my mind. What's left (aside from writing the above resource-optimizer) is adding the new localizations, testing on Win8, updating the installer, and updating the profile database. The latter is actually a great PITA, coz it has a lot software and each has to be checked by hand, each time downloading, installing, testing and if necessary updating an XML file. Also, the fact that I'm gonna be installing all those apps in a virtual machine doesn't really help to do it any faster, but, oh well.

I'm still not giving you any ETA, I'd just miss it anyway, trust me :)

11. Antarctica

Hi ultim,
    This is good to hear, thanks for the good news. I'm looking forward to test this new improved version.:)

12. ultim

ultim Developer

Duh... this release might not turn out so insignifcant after all.

After all the changes I made, I see some serious clean-up/refactoring/improvement possibilities in the settings code. As for me, I'd really like to do these, but it would break your old settings files. With some extra effort I guess I could keep the ability to import from exported .tws files of older versions, but even that I'd prefer not to (that would mean keeping old and deprecated code+conversion logic around).

So what do you think? Would it be very bad if you had to reconfigure TW after this upcoming update?

13. BrollyLSSJ

BrollyLSSJ Registered Member

If you could give / name us a tool to just see the program names / path, I have no problem with it. The tws xml file is somewhat hard to look at with many programs. :) Though it would also be nice to be able to add missing programs (i.e. I had Diablo 3 installed and uninstalled it to save space, but let the rule remain in TinyWall) as the current version does not allow adding a missing program.

14. DeerDance

DeerDance Registered Member

It would be fine, rather sleeker, easier to maintain code than sticking to old stuff, just for the sake of convenience on update. Good warning before installation, so that users dont start when they have no time to do it properly and its fine.

Things I would like to see in the next verion:
    • changeable/turnable off global shortcuts (its really needed)
    • shortcut for "show connections", I use it the most for allowing stuff and maybe I am not alone
    • would it be possible to have rule that would allow applications going online if signed by 'xxx'? Rule would be made to allow all applications signed by lets say mozilla, or opera asa to go through. At first encounter with exe with that signer it would verify online, like process explorer do, and if its verified and its up to date it would add the rule for that exe, that path, that size, to be allowed through. If the file would change it would require again online verification.
      edit: Oh, now I realized it would require for tinywall to always somehow watch for exes, which is not really its job, its just a quality interface for windows firewall, I think
    • maybe showing those speeds in tray/taskbar instead of hidding them. Like netspeedmonitor does, with similar level of customizability. Its not really needed, just seeing it there on the right click... seems rather wasted there

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  15. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I will be using Tinywall for the first time, on the next release.

Just do what you think would make Tinywall better. Don't hold back :D

16. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

This firewall is just awesome, compared to the pay for all.
    This would be great to add country blockers, with out using PeerBlock that is going to wayside.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I tried the current version, but 3 big issues came up:

1. There are no notifications. You say it's annoying, but it's more annoying manually changing the settings, finding the right executable in "Show connections" in time (especially with no visible errors), plus the easy "Whitelist by" allows Incoming & Outgoing connections.

2. After a while I couldn't change the configuration after unlocking it. Then I had to Run as Admin to temporarily fix it before the same thing happens. I had to restart the process in the end.

3. The MVPS HOSTS file it comes with is outdated, and won't update. I hope that it actually does so without upgrading the entire program in the next version.

Currently I'm using Windows Firewall Notifier, which is good, but a bit buggy and outdated. I hope the next version of this software will convince me otherwise.

18. ultim

ultim Developer

I've updated the hosts file, TinyWall's background updater will take care of it. Because it checks for updates rarely, it might take a few days to update but it will.

DeerDance:
    Adding a shortcut for the connections dialog is certainly not complicated for me, but the fact that you have to use that feature the most to whitelist applications makes me wonder if there is something else I can do to make TinyWall better instead. Of course, most of you will tell me at this point to add blocked program notifications like all other firewalls do, but I'm still hesitant to do that.

J_L:
    "Whitelist by" only gives Incoming & Outgoing permissions to software that it does not know about, or to those that require it. The reasoning is, the purpose of whitelisting from the user's perspective is to make a program work. Because TinyWall does not know the application, the application might require incoming connections too to work, TinyWall simply cannot know. If TinyWall only allows outgoing connections but the program requires incoming too, the application would still not work correctly even after whitelisting, making most users wonder what is wrong and still having to fix up firewall rules manually. So I designed TinyWall to allow both incoming and outgoing connections for unknown programs to make sure they always work (as long as the user picks the correct window/executable). To see the contrary in action, you can try whitelisting IE in TinyWall, and you will see that it only gives outgoing permissions, becuase TinyWall knows that IE is a browser and browsers don't need incoming connections. This will change now though as browsers are starting to support WebRTC...

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Certainly is rarely, because it was still providing last year's HOSTS in the middle of June.

Still most programs only need outgoing, making the rules more of a chore. Shouldn't Windows Firewall still notify about incoming connections though? At least before creating the outgoing-only rule.

20. DeerDance

DeerDance Registered Member

Well I use it because that way I am sure that I am only giving rule to a process thats actually is trying to get out and is blocked, and also see if there are no others trying to get out affiliated with that application. Like some updaters or other background stuff (EAs origin for battlefield 3 is a good example where its the best way to go).

And I am definitely against popups and notifications like other firewalls have. Shockingly I am even against it as an option.

Why? If tinywall would have it when I first tried it, I would just see it in preferences and check it because thats like duuuh, thats how firewalls are suppose to work.

I would never realize the beauty of not dealing with popups. Security fatigue, unintended allowing, cryptic messages about unknown exes, and all that ****...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  21. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I agree that TinyWall should continue to not have connection alert popups.

I would like to see a dialog when whitelisting where some parameters could be inputted if desired. Things like allow incoming, port specifications, IP addresses, etc.

22. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Notification popup that something outgoing was blocked would be nice.

23. ultim

ultim Developer

In the General tab of the settings window, select "Prompt for exception details". Then try whitelisting and :)

Alternatively, even if you do not enable that option, if you click the bubble notification after whitelisting you will get to the same window.

24. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I did not know that. Thanks!

25. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I see v2.1.0 was officially released: - http://tinywall.pados.hu/changelog.txt
    Major release 04.07.2013:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.