G-data "BankGuard"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Janus, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi

Can any user of G-data explain to me how " BankGuard" works differently than the normal protection that G-data offers. Does it scan https? I would really appreciate, if someone would explain to me how it works.( By the way, have been beta testing g-data 2014, and its improved behaviour blocker has really impressed me.)

Regards, Janus

2. guest

guest Guest

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! The following info...is courtesy of Ford Prefect...BankGuard detects hooking and manipulation of the browser's Dlls - so it's a kind of behaviour based approach.
    Some slides to click through:
    http://prezi.com/kbv5g4ycndla/banksa...e-web-browser/ Sincerely...Securon

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks but the link is dead?

5. Macstorm

6. Securon

Good Afternoon! Apologies Macstorm re:the broken link. I was initially interested in Ford Prefects explanation. I as you will check on the correct link re:any updated info. I'm familiar with Bitdefenders PaySafe and Avast's SafeZone which can be seen by user...G-Data's is invisible. Sincerely...Securon

7. Macstorm

No need to apologize Securon, it's me who need to thank you for the info that I missed because I had some free days from work :D

8. Janus

Janus Registered Member

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Interesting. :D

10. awesome1

awesome1 Registered Member

I can't get BankGuard to work on either IE10 or Firefox 20.0.1 using windows 7 64bit?? Anyone any clues as to why?

There are complaints I'm reading on firefox forum that the latest FF version has stopped it working?

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Why would you say that BankGuard does not work on IE10? Error message? Something you should see?

The issue of BankGuard is that there is no visible way to see its working. Or am I missing something? :)

12. awesome1

I'm led to believe that in firefox you should be asked to install the bankguard add-on & in IE9 you are prompted to enable bankguard! I get neither using GData IS 2014!.......Personally I would rather have some evidence that it is visible & working than nothing!

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Any confirmation from users of GDATA that on IE9 they see an add-on? What I see is that GDATA support WIN8. Then it must support IE10 and in IE10 here I see no add-on or request to add an add-on :)

14. Macstorm

For v2014, BankGuard protection works behind the scenes, according to devs. I'm not sure if this will change in next builds.

Yours is a wish shared by many G-Data users ;)

15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

if "bankguard" has to take action the rest of gdata already failed. :thumbd: so why trust such a program?

online armor has a "banking mode" where beside the normal rules only "secure" sites (manually given by user) are allowed. (whitelist)

16. awesome1

Unless I can see an icon or a test to prove it's effectiveness does "bankguard" even exist then?? o_O Not impressed!!!!

17. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

More to the point.
    How do you know these safe banking tools even work at all unless someone actually attempts to steal your information.

Interestingly i find it odd that software companies offer 30-day trials of them.What is the likelihood of your credentials being stolen within the 30-day period.?

How can you honestly know these products work like the vendors say they do.

18. Macstorm

What do you mean by "has to take action"? I wonder if you really bothered to read all the posts/links above on how BG works.

Did you know that BankGuard is sold as a separate app (works with all AVs) but it's included in all G-Data products since v2012?

19. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you are right, i only ready read the gdata av product page. so i assumed it is not availabe as a single program.

for a single program, nah, not really, i wont count on it due same point i mentioned - if it has to take action the rest of system is already infected. (layered security failed) maybe BG can prevent further damage but the system needs a proper restart.
    by purpose on testing banking trojans? :D not really a good idea

ofc its a nice mechanism behind i wont spend any cent for it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  20. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

If you don't disable BG in the settings area, then BG is active by default in generation 2014 products.
    If you wanna dig deeper, you can use process explorer and check if your browser has loaded Banksafe.dll.
    Guard and BehaviourBlocker have been disabled for the attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

• bg.PNG
      bg.PNG
      File size:
      108.8 KB
      Views:
  21. fax

fax Registered Member

Interesting, could you please clarify if that a screenshot on a windows 8 machine and IE10 or WIN7 and IE9?

22. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

win8 and ie 10.

Regards,
    Ford

23. fax

fax Registered Member

Thanks! Good info. So, the protection is there just too silent (that is not bad per se I would say) :)

24. Securon

Good Morning! My take on this is simply providing your customer and product with a sense of assurance. Make the app visible...whether it be an Icon...or placed on a Browser interface. I currently use G-Data I.S.2014...it's a superb product...but from a Transparency point of view...providing the user with a tangible visual proof that the app actually exists would provide the user with a Peace of Mind that at the moment isn't available! Sincerely...Securon

25. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

I think G-Data missing a trick in not having some kind of user signal for when bank guard module specifically active - I recall that most others with similar bank-guard technology very clearly have some user alert to confirm when the module is active eg Kaspersky with their green browser outline, F-Secure have notification box, Rapport have address bar icon which changes colour when module active, same with Webroot.

What worried me when i had GD installed was whether GD bank guard definitely working in my set up or not? Never could tell 100%. I'm currently using F-Secure 2013 and pretty impressed by it overall. Quite light on my system and by all accounts very decent detection performance. Notifies me when the banking protection module activates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.