Did RSS die?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by VanguardLH, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

Version 3.2 was released back in July 2012. It (rel 14) had bugs so users had to regress to a prior version. Back in Jan 2012 Returnil was asking for beta testers on 3.3. Public beta (or preview) testing started back in May 2012. Here it is just a few days away from the next year, 7 months after after opening a public beta test cycle, and 5 months after a release with problems, and still no new minor version update with fixes. Forget adding new features in a minor version release. Do the fixes first in the code branch for the minor releases. Do the feature adds in the code branch for the major release.

I tried adding another "bump" reply to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=312666 (the anti-executable defect) but this forum considers a thread last updated in April 2012 as too old to allow replies. Well, if a forum thread discussing a problem is considered too old to allow replies then consider just how old is the released version or even worse for the beta version that has yet to coalesce into a released version.

I gave up on using GeSWall because that product was obviously abandoned or it had zero resources to maintain and update it. It's disappointing to see RSS looks to be going the same way. By the time that 3.3 appears, it can't be given a "2012" version in its product title (as noted in the Beta forum) but must have "2013" so it isn't immediately antiquated by its product name on its release.

Fix & bug updates should not take anywhere near this long. Sometimes minor version releases include minor features changes (i.e., minor version change then minor functional change) but bugs should be addressed first in a minor release which also means shorter intervals for releases of minor versions if the bugs are given priority. Major functional changes should wait until the next major version. Seems to be taking an inordinately long time to address the bugs.

For many months I've been polling Returnil for a new version that addresses the old reported bugs but I've become disenchanted with this product. It's dying or maybe it's dead which could be from lack of interest by its author or due to lack of resources. The teat has dried up.

Sorry if this looks like a whine post but I just don't see RSS moving forward and is instead stale. Stagnant with no minor releases to address bugs for many months hints the odor of death.

Hope does not spring eternal. It fades away.
    It is better to burn out than to fade away. Go out with a bang.

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Nope, they are testing a beta product. Although it is in beta for a while. I do hope they would made a release in January though.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi guys,
    We are not dead and still working towards a new release but have run into the holidays which have slowed things down a bit as you can imagine.

Please be patient and watch for beta notices going forward into the next month...

Mike

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I'm glad that I can inform - Returnil's page works again...it's great news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.