Spyblaster doesn't recognize Firefox..

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Cowman, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowman

Cowman Registered Member

Hi
    Im using Mozilla Firefox to post this message
    yet spyblaster won't recognize that I do in fact have Mozilla Firefox
    it recognizes IE, however...but I don't use that pile of garbage

any suggestions as to what to do?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Are you using Firefox 0.9, the newly-released version?

If yes, SpywareBlaster doesn't yet support it - but it will in the 3.2 release, which I'm working on right now. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

screen shot

Attached Files:

4. Cowman

Cowman Registered Member

rock on man
    makes sense

should I continue using Firefox, or move to Internet Explorer?
    I was under the impression Firefox was generally more safe/stable then IE, but with the spyware protection on IE, should I move to that?

thanks for the help

5. lynchknot

You're kidding right?

6. Cowman

Cowman Registered Member

What should I be kidding about?

7. lynchknot

Your statement, "it recognizes IE, however...but I don't use that pile of garbage" then you state: "rock on man
    makes sense should I continue using Firefox, or move to Internet Explorer?" - after I post a screenshot of Fx working with Spywareblaster

Can you not see that it is working with my version (9+) Firefiox?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  8. javacool

Hi,

SpywareBlaster 3.1 shouldn't be working with your Firefox 0.9 version, unless you were using a 0.8+ nightly build at some point (in which case, SpywareBlaster would have correctly enabled protection for that profile, and the new 0.9 version would have imported that profile's data, including the protection).

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. Cowman

Cowman Registered Member

I see it working for you
    but I also see
    So who's advice do I take on the issue, a maker of the program, or a relative newbie, like myself, to the forums?

;)

Also JavaCool: Should I use the firefox or the IE with your protection?

10. lynchknot

What. Do you guys think I faked the screenshot? It clearly shows that it is working and i'm using Firefox 9+

I think I know why - for some reason (and i'm the only one I think) my profile directory is located here: C:\Documents and Settings\ken\Application Data\Firefox\Profiles

BUT (this is the weird part but it works)

I have this here: C:\Documents and Settings\ken\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

11. C96

C96 Registered Member

SpywareBlaster seems to be working for me also. I upgraded from 0.8 to 0.9
    Firefox and it seemed to follow OK. I have done one web "check for updates" in
    which updates were loaded and pushed to Firefox, or so it seems.

If SpywareBlaster is faking it, it's doing a good job. :D

allan

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think SpywareBlaster might not recognize your Firefox if you are using the zipped version instead of regularly installed, but I could be wrong there.

13. Cowman

Cowman Registered Member

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I can understand that your system might be an anomaly, or whatever. The maker of the program has said that it shouldn't work, so I won't pin my hopes on firefox working with spywareblaster for now. Instead, i'll wait for the newer version to come out and then deal with it. For the meantime, I simply want to know if I should continue using firefox, or use my IE...

While I certainly appreciate your input and advice, I do believe the maker of the program should know what works best with what.

14. javacool

If Firefox is working for you, the fact that SpywareBlaster is helping make IE more secure than it is by default isn't the best of reasons to switch back. ;) Firefox doesn't suffer from nearly as many known, unpatched security vulnerabilities. (That isn't to say that such vulnerabilities don't exist, but at least that, currently, there are more exploits for IE vulnerabilities than any for Firefox, if they exist.)

There are ways to lock-down Internet Explorer even further, but for the moment you might as well stick with Firefox, especially if you already have it installed, configured, and up and running. :)

That said (and a little off-topic too :D) Windows XP Service Pack 2 (to be released soon) is a step in the right direction for Windows and Internet Explorer.

Best regards,

-Javacool

15. lynchknot

Perhaps this will help. This is straight from an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)

More: (Source): http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/archi..._explorer.phtml

16. SniperHill

SniperHill Registered Member

ok, first thing, i think lynchknot knows some stuff about computers but nothing of comon sense and problem solving. Anyway. I am also having the problem of Spywareblaster not recognizing that i have Firefox installed. After having read numerous threads on this problem i have come up with the following conculsion. Spywareblaster does not suppport FF .9, However, if you used tohave .8 and upgraded to .9, then spywareblaster will work fine. I believe that is right. Oh yeah, and also lynchknot, How do u know that the person that wrote that article for that website is an MSCE, and btw, im in high school, and one of my friends(a senior in high school now) took the test and is now Microsoft Certified. when he was a sophomore....wow....that test must be hard..... Well, in conclusion, lynch is dumb, and the rest of you are cool, thanks for reading.

Ray

http://www.theclubzone.cjb.net

17. rsgb

rsgb Registered Member

I can confirm the difficulty between SpywareBlaster and Firefox in this and another thread: 'Spyware Blaster and Mozilla fire fox'.

SpywareBlaster 3.1 seemed to recognise Firefox 0.8 if the protection options are any guide as appears in Lynchknot's snapshot of 28 June. But when I removed Ff 0.8 and installed version 0.9.1, SwB 3.1 did not recognise it.

It really would be very helpful if SwB could recognise Open Source browsers, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, as a default. Thanks.

18. blabhead

blabhead Registered Member

i had firefox 0.8 with spywareblaster mozilla/firefox protection enabled.
    i had firefox 0.9 with spywareblaster mozilla/firefox protection enabled.
    i have firefox 0.9.1 with spywareblaster and mozilla/firefox protection is still enabled.i am glad i don't have this problem.

19. ladyjaf

ladyjaf Registered Member

After reading this whole thread, I have decided to do the following...... first, I have Mozilla 0.9.1 I have located version 8 and have downloaded it. I am getting ready to uninstall version 9 and then install version 8. From what I understand from reading this post, this should take care of my problem with Spyblaster not recognizing Firefox..... I hope this works!!

ladyjaf

20. RIP!

RIP! Guest

I have the same thing in the way of the Files/Folders and Spyblaster doesn't work for me with FF 0.90+.... any who I suppose I will just wait for a release of SB that does.

BTW: Glad it's working you M8!

RIP!

21. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Guest

I have Firefox 0.9.1 and it seems to be working ok with SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster still says i have Firefox. I downloaded the .exe of Firefox, then deleted the old version 0.8, and installed 0.9.1. I did keep the original Firefox folder and didn't delete it when it asked if i wanted to.

And SniperHill, you act like you are in high school. After making that comment about Lynchknot, i would say you have a lot of growing up to do.

22. ladyjaf

Ok, here is what I did to fix my problem with this. I uninstalled Spyware Blaster. Then I uninstalled Foxfire 9.1. Then I installed Firefox 8.0. Then I installed Spyware Blaster and got it all set up. Then I did an install of Firefox 9.1 and all is well. :) Spyware Blaster is now protecting me! Whew!! I'm glad I came to this forum and read this thread. I hope my solution helps someone else.

Jaclin
    :D

23. ladyjaf

Sorry folks..... I won't be using that nasty brown font again. Hard to read!

24. ladyjaf

I apologize. I did forget to mention one tiny detail.... After I uninstalled Firefox 9.1, I went through the registry and deleted all entries that had to do with firefox and mozilla. I would not advise a novice to do this and if anyone does this, please back up your registry first...... just in case!!

;)

25. ladyjaf

Ohhhh Geeeeee..... Please excuse my bipolar mind. I want to get all the details to anyone interested. There is one other thing that I did. I did not want to lose my bookmarks, so I went to C, Program Files, Mozilla Foxfire, defaults, then to profile..... before I deleted 9.1 and I copied my bookmarks to my desktop so that I could copy them back into this folder when I reinstalled the program. *sigh* I hope this is everything now. Sorry.... just want to share everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.