Tracking Cookies.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by wade7575, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wade7575

wade7575 Registered Member

From what I understand and I could be wrong but I thought ESS 5 Scans for tracking Cookies when it does a scan and is also supposed to be able to Pro-activily block them as well.

The reason I'm asking this is because I tried Super Anti Spyware for something to do and it found 185 Tracking Cookies on my PC.

If being able to scan for Tracking Cookies in ESS is not an option it should be it olny took Super Anti Spyware 30 second's to do a cookie scan,and yes I already know most AV Company's do not consider Tracking Cookies a threat but at the sametime they slow your PC down and are putting wear on your CPU and Ram then what is needed.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

There's no need to scan for tracking cookies for the very reason that you say "they are no real threat".
    And FYI I have never felt, and never heard of slowdowns caused by tracking cookies, but if you do it's likely caused by something else.

What you can do wich is faster and more simple, than run a SAS scan each day is....

1. set up your browser to clear them out automatically when you exit the browser.
    Or do it manually after that you have closed the browser.

2. run CCleaner when you are done browsing.

I do both nr1 and nr2.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. wade7575

Trust me they can slow your PC down a friend of mine had 204 in his PC one time and when we set his AVG to scan for Cookies his PC was alot faster.

We used the CPU & Ram Gadget in Win7 before the scan to see what his CPU & Ram usage was before the scan and they both went down more so the CPU when we did the scan and it is for that reason I really Hate tracking Cookies as all they are doing is shortening the life of your CPU and slowing you down.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's pretty easy to block tracking cookies, block 3rd party cookies in your browser, that handles 99% of them :)

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I always use the FREE SUPERAntiSpyware to get rid of all the tracking cookies

Also, it is best to install the MVPS Hosts file to prevent those tracking/harmful cookies from even accessing your computer in the first place

6. wade7575

I have used the Trial for this program and it worked flawlessly blocked all Ban
    ner's and Tracking Cookies,I did not get anymore zedo and zeldo cookies and the like,check them out here they are called AdGuard.

http://adguard.com/en/welcome.html

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I was not aware that ESS scanned for cookies. You may use Tracking Protection Lists *requires IE 9* - available here. You may also compliment your security arsenal with a simple installation of Spyware Blaster.
    You may also control how your Browser handles cookies.

8. wade7575

I have tried spyblaster a few times but I really don't like it,the main reason why is because it did'nt do crap for me.I had it installed a few times and the same old cookies kept getting in that they claim there product blocks.

9. siljaline

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  10. encus

encus Registered Member

Ok, first of all I really need an official answer from Eset whether ESS scans for tracking cookies or not.
    Lastly, for comparison, Norton Internet Security does scan for tracking cookies, even the hardest too find ones.
    Thank you.

11. siljaline

12. TigerRaptorFX

TigerRaptorFX Registered Member

I find the easier just to block all cookies by default and only allow registered sites permission. Better Privacy for Firefox is set to one second delete for LSO and Ghostery is a backup. I honestly don't remember the last time I had a tracker. Even the evercookie failed to store itself.

13. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET's software can block access to malicious web sites, but no specific action is taken against cookies.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.