Is it ok to use Norton Internet Secruity 2010?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have a pretty fast system as you can see from my signature, but even with these high specs and an SSD drive. Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 seems to be very heavy on my system. For example, if I try to run a setup file of Freemake Video Converter let's say, after double clicking on the EXE, it takes like 30 seconds for me to see the initial setup screen with the NEXT button. I feel that KIS is scanning the EXE for viruses but this is too much and certainly not the kind of performance I was anticipating from such a high end system.

With that said, I feel like I have wasted $120 USD for buying a 2 year license for 3 users....

Anyway, do you think I should just accept the fact that Kaspersky is crappy on the performance?

OR

1) My ISP offers me a continous license of Norton Internet Security but it only works with v2010.... would I be missing on anything in terms of detection of new viruses if I use v2010 of NIS or is it ok to use it? Its free from my ISP

2) Ditch paid AV/Internet security and stick to MSE OR Avira or Avast?

Please help me decide

PS: Please do not recommend Eset's products to me, I have been a 7 year user of NOD32 and ditched ESET this year after they upgraded to v5. Eset's firewall is crap

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

It only does that for the first execution of the executable, and only some executables take as much to analyze. Consecutive executions will be immediate.
    So, unless you're installing new applications all day, every day, I don't see how waiting a few seconds more is troublesome.

To answer your question, yes it's OK to use Norton, but rather than 2010, use the latest one.

3. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

Yes its ok, but as the users above me said...use NIS 2012, not 2010...the license for 2010 works for 2012 as well.

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Yes you're right about that

For example if I double click on Hotspot shield, it runs instantly, but with the Freemake Video Converter (which has a stupid smiley pack built in unless you uncheck the option), it takes like 30 seconds...

So do you recommend NIS 2012 over KIS 2012?

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

A vs b isn't allowed in the forums.
    But, if you're ditching KIS because of the longer first time execution of some applications, then you're overreacting....... IMO ;)

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you disable automatic mode on KIS it will popup a window to show you what it is doing. For some reason they don't think you need to know in automatic mode.

7. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

Have you tried right click on the cdownloaded exe, click properties, if there is an unblock button, click that, OK. Now the file should open right away.

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Closed as per TOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.