Where do you save/store the system backup(s)?

Discussion in 'polls' started by markymoo, Jan 29, 2011.

?

What do your store your backups on?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2011.
  1. Internal SATA Hard Drive

13.8%
  2. External SATA/ESATA Hard Drive

32.3%
  3. Internal Solid State Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. External Solid State Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Internal CD/DVD Drive

4.6%
  6. External CD/DVD Drive

4.6%
  7. External USB Drive

27.7%
  8. External USB Stick

3.1%
  9. Internal IDE/PATA Hard Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. External IDE/PATA Hard Drive

1.5%
  11. Internal RAID

1.5%
  12. External RAID

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. External SCSI 68/80/SAS Hard Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Firewire Hard Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Network/LAN/NAS Hard Drive

4.6%
  16. DAT/Tape/Cartridge Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. DLT/LTO Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Flash Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I don't even backup!

6.2%
  1. Fad

Fad Registered Member

External USB HD and internal 2nd HD....

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Since the poll only allows one choice, I didn't vote. My operating systems and data are on separate drives or partitions. I use several options, depending on what type of backup it is. This includes internal drives, an external USB drive, USB sticks, and CDs/CDRWs. Most of the system backups go on an internal drive, either one designated for that purpose or in a backup partition. I also keep a backup of the initial install and one of a fully equipped OS for each PC on the external drive.

As for data, there's very little on my PC that I need to keep confidential. That data is already encrypted and gets backed up to CDRWs. I don't worry about malware capturing data or getting into my backups. Default-deny prevents that. Getting to my data would require that they have physical access to my PCs, which would be difficult as there's almost always someone here.

I've never lost data from a hard drive failure. In almost 10 years, I've had 2 hard drives fail, and both were very old (a 4GB and a 500MB). Both the electric and the DSL line have surge protectors on them. All the lines here are underground. I've never lost anything here from lightning or power surges in over 30 years. Eventually I'd like to get a bigger external drive for daily use and relegate the one I'm using to strictly backup storage. Just hasn't been a priority.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Internal SATA before any additions/subtractions of programs and external SATA monthly.

SourMilk out

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I save images and backup data to an internal SATA and also to a secondary external USB.

5. icr

icr Registered Member

I rarely take backups but if at most I do take I use my USB stick;) thats more than enough for me

6. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Changing a little:

External SATA/ESATA Hard Drive (2000GB) - Daily (Microsoft SyncToy)
    External USB (4GB) - Weekly (Only the most precious information)

7. NRProia

NRProia Registered Member

Hello,

I backup the Downloads, Favorites, My Pictures, Nathan's Stuff [Documents], and Webshots Data folders to a USB flash drive 2-3 times each week. When it comes time to restore my PC, I install Windows 7 x64 from scratch followed by SP1 that I downloaded and burned to a CD. I then download all of my freeware programs to get the latest uninfected versions. I know some people swear by imaging, but I do it all from scratch.

Regards,

Nathan

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Paragon Capsule (hidden partition) on RAID system regularly. External hard drive occasionally.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You must be a very patient man because we are talking about 10 minutes to restore an image and anything between 3 hours to 3 days to re-install Windows. Once a year I can see myself doing it, but learning to image my systems has been a real Godsend for me.

10. guest

guest Guest

All personal stuff and the majority of the used software are portable and saved on a portable folder with PortableApps.com Platform integration for easy update/management. Backup of this folder is done by PortableApps.com Backup utility. It goes to a memory stick near every weekend. Sensitive and important files are sometimes individually encrypted with 7-Zip and saved on SkyDrive, LastPass and other secure online services.

As for the OS, I use Easeus Todo Backup Home to make an updated encrypted image of it every two/three months, with all my tweaks, customizations, updates, installed software, games, etc. It goes to an external HDD.

Everything is encrypted with BitLocker. BIOS passwords are enabled. Wireless N Router firmware is regularly updated and has all its relevant security features enabled. Surge Protectors are appropriately installed. I don't "test" experimental/beta/new software anymore: I let them mature, reach final versions, etc etc. But if I was going to test something, I would probably pick VMware Player for the task.

11. NRProia

Hello,

System imaging would be great if you had no fear of backing up infected programs and utilities. But I've had problems that have indicated infection. Anyways, my current installation is six months old, which is a record for me. I did the fresh install when I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate x32 to x64.

Regards,

Nathan

12. NRProia

Hello,

The problems that I have begin as soon as my Comcast connection is available. I think it goes right down the wire. Anyways, I install Windows 7 x64 and SP1 with my cable modem disconnected. I don't power up the cable modem until that's completed and it's time to run Windows Update.

Regards,

Nathan

13. guest

guest Guest

Out of curiosity, what are those problems?

14. NRProia

Hello,

I get blue screens after certain kinds of activity, windows opening and closing on their own, processes stopping and starting by themselves, and stuff like that. I'm convinced that someone at Comcast doesn't like me.

Regards,

Nathan

15. guest

guest Guest

Wow. o_O"

Already checked that there are absolutely no hardware problems?

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Might be related to your security setup.

17. NRProia

Hello,

I have a custom gaming rig built by CyberPowerPC.com:

http://www.nathanproia.com/home/computer/

It was built in 2006, and the suspect behavior started around 2008. I take a lot of steps to defend my PC (see the security link in my siggy). But if I'm right, and the virus does go down the wire, it's at a very deep level and hasn't been detected by my current security setup.

Regards,

Nathan

18. NRProia

Hello,

Maybe, maybe not. The behavior is too suspect to be entirely my security setup. Besides, I've had the behavior occur with just Windows 7 and SP1 installed, fresh after turning on my cable modem.

Regards,

Nathan

19. guest

guest Guest

No offenses intended, but this whole "virus on the wire" story sounds like science fiction to me.

I would try everything before considering such (very) weird hypothesis.

20. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

I don't know how you can cope with that since 2008.

Apologies for going a bit off topic, but I would be stripping down the machine after backing up all important documents onto a cd or dvd. Opening her up, removing all components and dust. Reseating everything, checking operation of fans. Check PSU operation with multimeter and maybe even checking the output coming out of the wall socket. Stress testing RAM, CPU, mobo (whilst monitoring temps). Wiping and reformatting hard disk and backup disks. Reinstalling windows latest service packs and updating all drivers & bios. Stress testing graphics card. Testing HDD. Then installing each program one by one and testing each time. Just use Windows Firewall without any other security software for all the testing. Once everything is running then install any other securty software you are using. Might take a couple of weeks or more with testing time as each stress test takes time. But with the problem going from 2008 it would be so hard trace and may well be a combination of problems (I'd hate to see the number of memory dumps you have on hdd waiting to be investigated). Also, I would avoid your 'system mechanic fix it' style software you are currently using as they can cause a lot of problems (sometimes more than they fix).

Just my stance on things. Running a rig with all those problems would drive me mad...

Just friendly advice - no offence intended.

Oh, as previously said, malware 'on a wire' would be the last thing I would check for. Hardware first, software configuration, driver conflicts and then malware. Once you have a clean rig it is far easier to identify any problems AS SOON as they manifest themselves. But with problems going on for three years it would be like trying to find a needle in haystack.

Apologies to everyone for having strayed off topic.

If you did want to start testing from scratch, you could start a fresh thread. I would try and support you (without accepting any liability) and I'm sure others here would try and assist too (also without liability)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  21. NRProia

Hello,

Thanks for the offer. It could just be a conspiracy theory, but I've had other things happen as well. Anyways, I'm saving up to buy a new laptop when Windows 8 is released. It will be interesting to see if I have the same types of suspect behavior on the new machine with a new wireless network.

Regards,

Nathan

22. unclebump

unclebump Registered Member

You'll probably find out it is the neighbor's kid across the street!! If you really want to know what is going down that ethernet cable, they make hardware devices that you can use to passively inline tap your ethernet cable. Then you can use wireshark to record the data packets. Download a trial of Fluke Networks Clearsight analyzer program to use for 15 days.

http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise-network/network-monitoring/ClearSight-Analyzer

Hardware links.
    http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise-network/network-monitoring/Tap-Solutions

http://vssmonitoring.com/partners/product_brief/v1x1_10_100_Copper_Product_Brief.pdf

Also grab Wireshark to record the data packets.

At work, we backup 400 pc's over the ethernet network to a server using Ghost Solution Suite. Do this 2-3 times a year, usually during summer vacation break or Christmas vacation break. We are usually busy doing maintenance work during those holidays. My section is 100 pc's and around 300GB of compressed data. Then I copy all of that to one of 3 external 500Gb SATA hard drives in a rotation. I don't like to overwrite the backups. And the server has crashed before, without a good tape backup. Use Addonics external drive cases combined with external SATA port adapters on the shopfloor pc's. Can restore a backup in a few minutes.

At home, several external usb hard drives. Started with Ghost, then Acronis, recently switched to Paragon HDM 11 Professional.

23. NRProia

Hello,

If it's a teenage whiz kid down the street, I would be very surprised. His virus would have to be so deep in the kernel that it fails to be detected by my security programs. But thanks for the information. Check out the security link in my siggy. At the end of the security page is my tribute to Comcast.

:eek:

Regards,

Nathan

24. guest

guest Guest

Your siggy never appears here.

Except the "Regards, Nathan" lol.

25. NRProia

Hello,

I have a new siggy. It's less racy than my previous one.

Regards,

Nathan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.