Nod32 and Thunderbird 5

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Pingolo10, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pingolo10

Pingolo10 Registered Member

Nod32 antivirus is not compatible with new version of Thunderbird (5.0). Please, could you update to make it compatible? Thanks

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Sorry, I am in line before you. I am still waiting for them to make it compatible with WLM 2011.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Already supported in v5 except that there's no integration to the ribbon yet.

4. iravgupta

The same way you do not consider adding support for beta products, I do not consider support for products added to beta products. :)

5. Pingolo10

Pingolo10 Registered Member

In this post we're speaking about THUNDERBIRD 5. for other compatibility's problems, open another post, tx

6. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

Until they fix it, you still have e-mail scanning but not full integration, which means outgoing mail is not checked, or so I recall. Full integration has been broken before with Thunderbird upgrades, but eventually it gets fixed. Funny thing, I did not know about the Thunderbird upgrade until it was mentioned here. Now I've upgraded just so I can feel your pain.;)

7. Ordinant

Ordinant Registered Member

This is one more vote for updating ESET for Thunderbird 5 compatibility as soon as possible.

Thunderbird is now on the same fast update cycle as Firefox. Please plan ahead now for T'bird 6, 7, and 8, which will come out a few months apart.

Thanks!

8. rcdailey

My semi-facetious previous response aside, I echo your sentiment. ESET will have to work faster for Thunderbird compatibility. Mozilla skipped right past 4 in terms of official releases. Maybe they plan to match the versions they release for Firefox? At least ESET doesn't have to integrate with Firefox.

9. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

:argh:

Could or would somebody from ESET immediately pop in here and let us know please? A whole week later and I am still get the error prompt that ESET + TBird 5.0 are NOT compatible. Does not make me feel too good. ;)

Thanks all and have a great summer.

10. Marcos

I'm not getting any error message with TB5, neither when looking at the TB error console. I reckon I've already mentioned it elsewhere, we're working on integration with TB5 but it's really not an easy task when email client vendors significantly change the way of integrating 3rd party plugins and other vendors need to code the plugins from scratch. Do you of another AV program that currently integrates with TB5 fine?

11. gonnagitit28

gonnagitit28 Registered Member

I use ESET Smart Security 4 and I also got the notice to upgrade to TB5.0 but I didn't because before the new version was downloaded, I got a message box about not being compatible with ESET Smart Security etc..etc. So I didn't download it. It has been a few weeks since the first time I tried to download it thinking that ESET might have fixed the problem.
    Now with that said, I don't want to either change email client or my security provider. But if they can't play well together .......something will have to go. Hopefully, ESET will be able to get this glitch fixed soon.
    I did not find a thread just for the ESET Smart Security on this subject that's why I posted here.

12. newbie2247

I thank you for your informative post. You are lucky. Very lucky. I very much need to be a subscriber to providers of the notice you received telling you about Turdbird not being compatible with ESET, etc.. May I please ask you to give me all the info. I need to register and sign-up please, if you'd be so kind? Via my message box would be fine with me or on board. Whatever you are comfortable with. Going forward, I must be as informed as possible. This forum is the GREATEST place for good, solid, handy, reliable and important information.:thumb: :cool: Had I received that same notice, I wouldn't feel so disappointed and dubious about so much.

When I bought this Dell desktop, much to my utter shock and total surprise, I immediately discovered that I was fleeced and ripped-off big time because it came with absolutely no email program at all but the sticker-shock gave all of us the impression that this baby came loaded with everything and then some. HA!

Now , #1 - I am forever stuck with an inferior and wretched email program #2 - that ESET/Nod32 is NOT scanning or putting their "The message was checked by ESET Smart Security" on it and to make that bliss even more euphoric, #3 - the reason is because the high-end or high-priced AV suite I am paying good money for - unlike the horrid + only email program available - will never, ever catch up to Turdbird, exactly like the Windows Live Mail 2011 compatibility scam, fiasco, sham, farce, because they have no intentions of ever doing so or they would have by done so by now and I wouldn't have had to use the abominable Turdbird..

Cheer up folks. Before you know it, Windows Live Mail 2012 will be out and I am so looking forward to using it along with my ESET on my desktop and Nod32 on my brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop. Isn't life grand?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  13. iravgupta

Good to know some people have the same frustrations I do with this company.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Eset isn't alone as far as AV's having issues with Thunderbird from time to time.

15. Marcos

Emails received via POP3 are scanned regardless of the email client used (be it WLM 2012 or TB 5). As of EAV/ESS v5, this holds true for IMAP as well. As for signatures, they are appended only to infected emails by default and you can adjust them as per the instructions here.

In the past I already asked here if somebody knew about an AV program that fully integrates into those clients but didn't get any answer.
    The lack of support for these clients is not caused by ESET itself. If an email client vendor makes significant changes to the code, forcing 3rd party vendors to write new plugins from scratch, then this will certainly cause issues and delays until new plugins become available. And it's not that the EC vendors provide API that the others could utilize to write plugins easily. The way how email clients work is often completely undocumented by EC vendors and the others are forced to find out a way how to integrate into the email client themselves by literally debugging it and then trying out various hacks to accomplish integration that would work reliably under any circumstances on production systems. That is not an easy task at all that could be accomplished within a few weeks.
    As long as EC vendors don't change their code significantly, there should be no problem updating plugins and make them compatible with newer email client versions which is unfortunately not the case of the 2 aforementioned email clients. I'd like to ask you again; if you are aware of other AVs that already integrate with the 2 email clients fine, let me know.

16. Matt_au

Matt_au Registered Member

I am not here to offer suggestions about which vendors may or may not have already integrated their AV offering into an email program.

I am here in the hopes that I can get things happening at ESET.

Thunderbird is on the same release schedule as Firefox.
    That means every six weeks. Mid August will probably see Thunderbird 6 and 7 will be out six weeks after that.

Support for old versions will be withdrawn on the release of the new version. There will be no security patches released, unless a serious problem is found in GEKO, which will force an interim release.

Personally I disable the add in because it simply steals to much vertical screen real estate and offers nothing useful I can see, so I have no personal axe to grind here.

There is however a serious security issue looming if ESET is slow updating their product, instead suggesting their customers stay on an unsupported branch of software simply because they are not able to move fast enough.

If you are going to have integration fine. Do it and do it well. Otherwise get out of the bathtub and let those that can do.

Having spent innumerable hours supporting Thunderbird in it's user forums, I have to say I am quickly forming the view that AV products are becoming a greater issue than the problem they are meant to fix. (in this case ESET is actually one of the good guys causing few problems)

I note the Moderator here said that integration is difficult and at times basically requires reverse engineering. A valid point, particularly relevant to proprietary closed source mail clients. Hardly applicable to Thunderbird however. The source code is freely available and there is extensive documentation on the Mozilla Developer Network.

Come on ESET. It is time to put the sneakers on and run.

17. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

Exact :thumb: .

In any case, NOD32 checks the mails downloaded by Thunderbird. This is what is important for the security.

18. newbie2247

"Emails received via POP3 are scanned regardless of the email client used (be it WLM 2012 or TB 5). As of EAV/ESS v5, this holds true for IMAP as well. As for signatures, they are appended only to infected emails by default and you can adjust them as per the instructions here."

Marcos,

I can't help but see glaring at me that WLM 2011 in NOT included in the emails that are scanned in your post. Please explain.

Does that mean that they still are not scanned? Yet? Or are they now, finally, being scanned?

I ask because if you tell me that right now and going forward Windows Live Mail 2011, 2012, et al ARE and will be scanned by ESET and Nod32, I will instantly dump Turbird, go to Windows and download whatever version of WLE is being downloaded and set up a Windows Live Mail account right now.

What version of Windows Live Mail is out + being download now anyway? Whichever it is, you are positive that it is being scanned, right? You did say that if I understood you correctly. What I did not understand at all is the signature appendage thing you wrote. I have seen no sign of it in my Turdbird on my desktop or my Gmail on my laptop. Badly need clarifcation of both questions. Thank you Marcos.

All of you who posted after me expressed every single thought, view, fear, opinion, dread and more that I have but could not possibly include in my post. Would have been beyond "lengthy". All very true, unfortunately and excellently laid out. Thank you all for stating most of my feelings about the situation.

ESET, please, please, please. Say something. Give us an update. We are paying full price and only getting 66.6% of the product we are paying good money for. I, for one, would like to know where I stand and what you are doing with my money. Please give us an update and a ballpark figure when I will see "scanned by eset" on my Turdbird email again. Thank you very much.

19. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

newbie2247, here is an experience (POP3):

In the Advanced setup tree: Antivirus and antispyware > Email client protection.
    In the Alerts and notifications section, I choose "Append tag message to received and read mail" > To all scanned email > OK to confirm the settings.

If I receive emails from Thunderbird or WLM 2011, I see at the end of the mail, it was checked by NOD32. Where is the problem?

Analysis of communications via the POP3 protocol is independent of email client used.

Have you tried that too?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  20. RobJanssen

RobJanssen Registered Member

They are probably doing this to lose all their users in short time because they get frustrated by all the incompatabilities introduced at each new release.

Seems they have lost interest in being a repectable browser/email client and want to be a hobby project that nobody is looking at.

Pity... I have been a longtime user of Mozilla products. But at some point, it has to be over.

21. Marcos

If you receive email via POP3/POP3S, it should be scanned as you can see below. This is because POP3 scanning is done transparently before email reaches your email client:

Attached Files:

22. rcdailey

Doesn't the tagging work only with straight POP3. I have tested today and it works with POP3, but not with Yahoo Plus and SSL or with gmail and IMAP. As I recall, it has never scanned mail received via port 995 (Yahoo Plus with SSL) and I guess that also applies to port 993 (Gmail IMAP, which is SSL as well). I don't think that is a problem, but just thought it should be clarified.

23. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

You need to enable SSL scanning before POP3S and IMAPS are scanned

24. rcdailey

Ah, thanks for the correction. I think I did not enable that because it was indicated that it would slow down response during mail download. I should test to see just how much it will actually impact response.

OK, I just checked and POP3S is enabled on the default port 995. However, messages received do not have the tag applied, although Eset is set to add the tag to _all_ messages. Apparently, things do not work exactly as might be expected. No big deal, I think, but that's how it is at this point.

OK, fixed it. I forgot where SSL scanning was set up. That is fixed now, so I will test both Yahoo and Gmail to see if this makes a difference. It should work with Yahoo, at least.

It works with Yahoo now via port 995. It still does not work with Gmail via port 993, but that is an IMAP account, so it may or may not be possible to get that scanned. I'll fiddle some more.

So far, no luck with IMAP, but it is not clear whether a tag is applied to IMAP messages if anything other that Outlook is the e-mail client. The lack of a tag may not mean that the IMAP e-mail is not being scanned when Thunderbird 5.0 is the client, but that may be the case at this time since there is no integration with Thunderbird 5.0.

After further experimentation, I determined to disable SSL scanning again. Everything had been fine without SSL scanning and I found some complications with web activities with SSL enabled. I could probably eventually configure everything to work, either by allowing exceptions or by excluding applications, but that doesn't seem much better than simply turning SSL scanning off globally. Besides, "Do not scan SSL protocol" is the default. There's usually a good reason for defaults.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  25. Matt_au

Matt_au Registered Member

As windows live mail does not use IMAP or POP to get mail from Live mail accounts, there does appear to be a hole in security here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.