MBAM and ESET Conflict?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Daniel1024, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel1024

Daniel1024 Registered Member

Will Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and ESET Smart Security conflict with each other? Malwarebytes' has realtime protection enabled.

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

The quick and short answer is yes.

Anytime you try to load two realtime scanners on the same machine, you're asking for trouble. MBAM does have a free offering that will update and scan on demand, but it doesn't have a realtime scanner.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Matt

3. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

I don't disagree with MattJN but I am / have been using MBAM Pro AND SuperAS Pro (both real-time) WITH ONE CAVEAT: I Manually Open MBAM Vs. Loading at Boot. I previously had No issues with All 3 but all of a sudden experienced Boot Locks and decided MBAM was the cause. I've used ESS 4.72 and NOW 5.0.65 Beta with No Hiccups so far.

If V5 duplicates MBAM or SAS I'll ditch either IF it causes something like poor performance or reduced security from tripping over each other. Time and other post-ers will tell.

An "expert" once gave me the following Exclusions for MBAM in ESS and vice versa. Use as desired.
    1. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
    2. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamcore.dll
    3. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
    4. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamnet.dll
    5. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ssubtmr6.dll
    6. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx
    7. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    8. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    9. C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    10. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    11. C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    12. C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    You can also do the following in MBAM Ignore List for ESET:
    1. C:\Program Files\ESET...
    2. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET...

4. Hagla007

Hagla007 Registered Member

I haven't noticed a single conflict.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've had issues with ESS 4.2 and MBAM locking up my machine when running real time on the MBAM. I don't recommend it but the choice is up to the end user.

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Just a few additional thoughts ...

Once users have updated to Version 5 of either ESET Smart Security or NOD32 Antivirus, IMO there will be little added value in running MBAM in real-time as well. Version 5 of either ESET product with the HIPS enabled should provide enough protection on its own.

For anyone who still wants to supplement their ESET product with a paid real-time anti-malware, a better choice might be Prevx because Prevx has been specially designed to run alongside a conventional antivirus without causing problems. I am currently running Prevx and NOD32 Antivirus 5 Beta together with absolutely no conflicts or performance issues whatsoever. I also use the free version of MBAM for occasional additional on-demand scans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.