Why ESET NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Redrepublik, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redrepublik

Redrepublik Registered Member

I have used the A/V for the last year and its time to renew

My question is, why should I renew, I certainty dont mean that in an obnoxious way

Just wondering why I should, my friend uses Avira AntiVir and says its very good and free.

Also a colleague told me to use Comodo

So could someone please explain why I should renew with ESET.

I use my PC for web surfing and running random legit software

Thanks

Red

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In one sense, I suppose having anti-malware software is a bit like having automobile insurance. You don't necessarily do anything with it until there is an accident of some kind. If you don't get in any automobile accidents, though, it is hard to tell if it is working.

Sales and marketing questions are best answered outside of this forum. You can definitely visit ESET's web site for competitive information as well as call your local ESET office, distributor or reseller and ask them the same question, as they are the the best people answer questions about what is best for your specific security needs, A vs. B questions, and so forth.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

This can tell you why but I don't know their information is regularly updated or not.http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition
    I choose ESET because ESET is very good in proactive detection.Although Avira also got very good proactive detection and higher on demand detection than ESET but its false positive rate is much higher than ESET and Avira also got annoying pop up.

Hmm...Comodo?I have no idea.Sorry.

4. Redrepublik

I live in Ireland, I did contact the reseller, its “Reflex”, they didn’t respond.

Thanks anyway though, it’s not a compelling argument to stay with Eset but then again I don’t think you were trying to convince me really

5. Redrepublik

Thank you for posting the information

6. Redrepublik

Actually, I am a little surprised with a forum full of ESET users and quite a considerable amount continually posting , that no one has given me one compelling reason to stay with ESET,

An analogy and an ESET comparison (posts appreciated though), problem with the comparison on the ESET website is, look at the competition, they all have something similar.
    Anyway, not sure what to do !

7. Hagla007

Hagla007 Registered Member

Basically, the people who are using Eset have common sense. The staff members does indeed have a huge brain. The reason of that, is if you went on the Comodo, Kaspersky or Norton forum, they would spam you with information that is fake and untrustworthy. They give you wrong facts, just because they want more costumers.

Eset, on the other hand, doesn't do that. They don't need to. Of course they would get more costumers, but their software is so good and the detection rate is very good. It's light, and have a site blocker in-built (not a firewall, you'll get a firewall in Eset Smart Security).

The reason why you should renew, and pick Eset instead of Comodo is primarily because Comodo doesn't delivers the safety and lightness you will get with Eset Nod32 or Eset Smart Security. Comodo isn't in the top 3 antivirus, it's the fourth or the fifth best antivirus software, but Eset is better.

The three things Eset is better than Comodo is:

Detection
    Lightness
    Easy to use

8. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Well why not :). If it works for you, why change.

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

If you did like the product, why shouldn't you renew? If it has protected you against threats, was easy to use and didn't had a noticable effect on your system's performance, why shouldn't you renew?

There is a lot of discussion about antiviruses: which is the best, which is the lightest and so on. I think one should just base their decision on recent experiences. Were they positive? Renew. Were they negative? Get some trials, or free antiviruses and try them out.

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I don't think anyone will be able to give you a compelling reason to stay with ESET, rather than switching to another provider. This kind of question comes very close to asking which AV is best. Each AV will differ in terms of its feature set, effectiveness, and performance, as well as price. In the end, you have to make a judgement based on how closely different products fit your own individual circumstances and requirements.

On the plus side for ESET, it is one of the best AVs with good detection rates and a low rate of false positives. Most users find it light on system resources and it tends to co-exist well with other programs without causing conflicts or other performance issues. It has a GUI that is both easy to navigate and yet bristling with features for users to like to exercise a more granular level of control. All of this is of course also true for many other AVs as well.

As I believe that ESET do allow a grace period on renewal, one option if you are not happy with ESET might be to try some of the other AVs at the end of your current subscription before deciding whether to renew with ESET or whether to switch to an alternative product. Most, if not all, of the paid products will offer a full trial before purchase.

There are also some good free AVs to choose from, although the free products will tend to be more limited in features than their paid equivalents and you won't get the same level of support from the manufacturer as you would for a paid product, if that matters.

11. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Either you are joking and didnt make it obvious or a big hypocrite, especially about the bit where you said "they give you the wrong facts".

1. Other AV users also have "common sense". It contains the word "common" for a reason.
    2. Other forums do not spam people with information that is fake and untrustworthy and other forums do not give the wrong facts. You on the other hand.... Well, you're a good example that all forums are built and rely upon users - opinions and thoughts. Some are good, some are bad, but that does not reflect upon the AV's abilities and uses.

Sorry to break the topic, just thought there was a need for some clarity and a correction. Continue the thread.

12. Redrepublik

Thank you, the supplier in Ireland actually returned my call and I spoke to one of their representatives, they explained in person, it makes more sense when actually verbally explained rather than reading but he kind off said what you did ... basically go with a free one if you wish but don’t expect the same level of security / support, now I aint sure if that’s true but anyway, it worked.

The fact that I didn’t have to touch ESET software application all year, which I first thought was a negative, now turns out to be a positive as its working away in the background doing as it does without hassling me !

And thank you to everyone else who replied, its appreciated

Snipped: Offending content removed.

Once again ,thanks to those who tried to help me and offered some advice, its appreciated

Regards
    John

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ESET responded to this question earlier in the thread.

Thread is closed for comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.