Need Returnil Uninstall Help

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by TomAZ, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do I uninstall Returnil RVS 2011 (v3.2)? I downloaded and installed it to try it, but now want to uninstall it, but I can't find a built-in uninstaller. I did a little internet searching and it sounds like it can be a real challenge to uninstall.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi TomAZ,
    Not difficult but you need to do the following:

1. Make sure the Virtual Mode feature is deactivated. Check to make sure the Virtual Mode > Overview > Virtual Mode Always On option is unchecked and then restart your computer to release the virtualization.

2. Open your Windows Add/Remove programs feature, select Returnil System Safe 2011 in the program list, and then select uninstall/remove/change as applicable for your version of Windows.

3. Follow the wizard and restart your computer when requested.

This should uninstall RSS 2011 from your computer.

Mike

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Thanks . . . I'll give this a try.

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Coldmoon . . . actually, I have now tried the procedure you outlined and had no problems with that routine itself. However, it doesn't appear to have completely uninstalled/removed the program.

There were several things left behind in the Returnil Program folder (and maybe other folders as well??) -- including the one file I really wanted to eliminate... "rvsmon.exe" (which appears to be a Service). Even after the uninstall and reboot, it was still there, still running and consuming about 25MB of memory. And to make matters even worse, there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it -- it's very stubborn! If I've theoretically "uninstalled" Returnil, what in the world is the purpose of having that still running?

I'm really disappointed that Returnil doesn't see the need for providing the means for clean and total uninstall.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ TomAZ, by curiosity: did you do the uninstal with Revo?

6. Coldmoon

@majoMo: That is a good question as the uninstaller works well. Use of third party uninstallers can cause damage that may also lead to uninstall issues.

Mike

7. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Actually, yes, the first time. Did that screwed things up? If so, any way at this point I can still get a complete uninstall?

8. Coldmoon

Yes, though the first thing I want you to try is the least invasive. Try repeated installs of the current release build (REL11 - see link in the release forum). The install is expected to fail and may require multiple attempts to allow the installer to find the damage and repair it. Once fully installed and verified as working properly, then proceed to repeat the uninstall instructions I gave above.

It may take upwards of 6 tries, but 10 is probably moving us towards a manual uninstall/registry edit so let me know the result of the reinstall/repair/fail/repeat method.

Mike

9. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Can you please tell me where to find the Release forum so I can download this build? Thanks.

10. Coldmoon

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

12. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I think so... FYI:

Revo would uninstall files that are needed for a app. to complete remove itself after the reboot.

It seems Revo has limitations when own app.'uninstaller needs to reboot to do a complete uninstall. If Revo deletes a app. file needed to do the uninstall after reboot, some info could be lost - and the app. uninstaller can't do their entire task.

When an uninstallation needs reboot, Revo does a very poor work (or could even mess the system as the files and registry keys needed after reboot to uninstall the software will fail or will be already removed).

E.g., with Comodo Time Machine the same could happen.

13. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

After all the "uninstall" help I received yesterday, I've just decided to keep Returnil installed and try to use it from time to tome -- but thanks to everyone anyway.

However, keeping it brings up a couple other questions:

1) Is there any way at all to change the Services mode of "rvsmon.exe " from Automatic to Manual? I've tried, but it won't let me make that change. I have no plans of using Returnil all the time -- or even on a regular basis, so I really do not need to have that Service active and running all the time. It would be nice if it could be activated only when needed.

2) Can anyone give me a brief explanation on how to use the File Manager in the RVS Pro edition? I've never used it before, so I'm not really sure how just it works.

14. Coldmoon

When you need it, let me know and will help you to resolve the damage Revo caused. Once that is cleared up, you should not have any further problems.

The service is required for scheduling and malware sample and suspicious behavior information uploading to the AI server for deep analysis. You can kill it in Windows component services (Stop rather than manual) but will need to be reactivated when you use the program the next time. I really recommend that you give it a go and see why it is a better overall solution than using multiple tools to achieve less than what a single copy of RSS can provide.

Yes, the first thing you need to do is to define the list of selective files and folders that need to be updated on the real system. So:

1. Open the File Manager (Virtual Mode > Tools > File Manager tab)
    2. Click the "Define" link and then select the proper type of files (for you alone or for everyone using the computer)
    3. Use the "Add File..." and "Add Folder..." buttons to navigate to the content you need to save when virtualized. Ex's: Documents (includes sub-folders), someworddoc.doc, IE Favorites folder, etc
    4. Click "OK" to exit the manager list and return to the File Manager tab
    5. Configure the automatic saving options as required
    6. Enjoy your computer

Mike

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I'll remember that Mike. Thanks so much, you've been very helpful.

I don't really understand that completely because I'm using RVS, not RSS.

I guess the main reason I don't use it more regularly is because of all the rebooting that's required. In the past, I've used Returnil primarily for testing new software. But other than that, I use my computer all day long and just about everything I do needs to end up on my "live" drive, so it's kind of a hassle keeping that all straight and making sure everything ends up where it's supposed to.

Anyway, thanks again for everything. And thanks also for the info on using the File Manager

Tom

16. Coldmoon

RVS Pro is based on the same basic design as RSS but with a Virtual Mode focus. The autosave in the FM requires scheduling. There are also architectural reasons for the core service that relate to conforming to recommended best practices with Windows; especially the newer versions of the OS.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.