OpenDNS-WOT How Different?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chinook9, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

There's nothing to fight over here. Both Opendns (domain tagging) and Wot relies on community feedback. Of course they are different in infrastructure (and maybe how they block things). Both private and community analysis have their pros and cons. For example Computerworld is rated in-house as clean but through the community (the victim) it will be known if it's hacked. The community is also helpful in knowing once known clean sites as now dead or dead and reregistered as a malware site. No one can recheck and monitor every site. Also, the more ideas and scrutinizing the better (sometimes) right?

Regarding Wot's credibility check the Actvity scores and weighing of member ratings. Also, not to mention reputable services like Spamhaus, hphost that auto-contribute/add/flag/rate.

http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/5158-how-actvitiy-score-works
    http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Activity_scores

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

At least Firzen isn't being uncivil.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i didn't develope WOT, nor did i develope any sort of DNS service, my hunch tells me u havent either so i dont think either of us can comment on the true iner workings of these services, WOT's a pretty popular add-on with a large following, i don't need proof to know the people behind it that are developing it know what they are doing to at least some degree and they would know that the system can be potentially abused, thats how i can deduce that there are measures in place to at least hinder the abusers (which i doubt is a widespread thing)

as for which is better, ive never commented on which service is better, im simply showing how WOT altho not perfect, has its own advantages as well and isn't simply useless.

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Great post. :)

Some interesting points to note:

+ WOT uses more than one user's reputation to rate sites, utilises services such as ones you mentioned, along with panda security.

WOT 1.png

+ All users aren't rated equally, WOT's service rates the reputation of each user (data which is hidden), known as a 'reputation rating score'. This encourages people to be honest with their ratings, and also doesn't upset individual users (eg. may have contributed often, but inaccurate ratings mean a lower individual reputation rating score)

WOT2.png

Some other key facts. Emphasis on facts.

+ Key group of experienced users overseeing the rating system and contributing.

+ WOT's rating system is complex in determining a user's reliability. Inaccurate users, bots, spammers will be silently ignored.

+ WOT investigates suspicious behaviour, while at the same time, users who think a site has been reported unfairly, can report the site to the WOT forum for investigation.

http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ
    WOT3.png

Sounds pretty damn good to me, for a free service.

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

For a free service it is good: it's the product of angry moms, as is the "killer" DSA.

Dave

6. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Great contribution. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.