A question about PPA's

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and I am planning to stay with this LTS at least 2 years.So I think I have to add some PPA's.

I have added Ubuntu tweak stable,chromium stable and docky stable .What other PPA's do you recommend ?
    I know that each of use different programs,but I also know that most of you are using Linux for some time and it would be easier for me if you would let me know which common PPA's you trust and add to the software center.

Thanks in advance.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

PPA for X to stay current with video drivers, PPA for transmission, if you don't compile your own codecs then ppa for nvidia-vdpau is another one to consider.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

If you later want to remove a ppa, there is a script available for download which will remove the PPA repository, remove the packages you installed from that PPA and install the packages from the official Ubuntu repositories.

Remove PPA Repositories Via Command Line

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Good info there, Ocky. Thanks. That could come in handy sometime, though I don't use PPA's too often.

Later...

5. linuxforall

I also use ppa for adobe flash x64 by sevenmachines and ferraroberto ppa for gimp and sun java.

6. Trespasser

I sort of turned away from PPA's due mainly to xorg-edgers. They sent down an update not too long ago which screwed up either my Intel or Ati graphics card (I can't remember which now...probably the Intel). Luckily I had a CloneZilla image saved which allowed me to recover quickly. But, unfortunately for me, I had saved the offending updates to my AptOnCD iso file before I rebooted into my video trouble. Cleaning my AptOnCD image of the corrupting updates took a while. I actually had to take the edgers updates one more time so I could make a list to then delete them from my AptOnCD iso. That experience really burned me to PPAs. Sometimes when you dance on the "edge" you pay the price. Eh?

Later...

7. linuxforall

Edgers expressely states its cutting edge testing beta state and is definitely not a good idea, dunno why you even considered it, its used by Ubuntu devs to fix bugs. Best ppa for video card is x-swat which puts latest video drivers a day after they are released. PPA is the only way to stay current on LTS. You can't judge ppa by putting a seriously testing one, from day one I have been using PPA on my Ubuntu installations, I use Kubuntu backports to get latest KDE and never ever face any issue.

8. mvario

mvario Registered Member

9. linuxforall

10. Trespasser

Why did I consider using edgers? Well, due mainly to necessity. I was well aware of their warning and them developing cutting-edge drivers...thus the name "Edgers". You see, Ubuntu kernel 2.6.32 doesn't like my Sony's Ati Radeon 9700 video card. Searching for a solution led me to Edgers. Using their PPA actually fixed my problem. I was pleased and things were fine for a long, long time (1, 2, or even 3 updates a week was not uncommon). I tried X-Swat before I tried Edgers. I'm going to have video problems with the upcoming Maverick release but this time with my Intel mobile 4 series rev 9 card. Later versions of Ubuntu kernel 2.6.35 give me black bars on either side of my screen at my preferred resolution (the RC is using kernel 2.6.35-22).

The risk was my own. The fault was my own. Correcting the problem caused by that bad update was a little bit more complicated than I originally explained and took quite a bit of time....but still my own fault. This is just one person's story about PPAs, that's all.

Later....

11. linuxforall

How bout running latest catalyst via x-swat ppa?

12. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i used to not use ppa before but now i am using it and kinda loving it but i always be careful of what i am downloading/updating even after ppa added like for example i added ppa for adobe flash x64 by sevenmachines from ubuntu tweak also give you update to adobe flash 64 bit alpha which i didnt update.

i like stable release only so i wait a little while and keep unchecking during update untill it

and

thanks ocky and linuxforall very informative link of removing ppa and x-swat ppa :thumb:

i check x-swat for nvidia because on default ubuntu drivers are pretty old for nvidia

:)

13. linuxforall

x-swat has latest nvidia, ati, intel as well as xserver, best way to stay updated.

14. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

15. linuxforall

Unfortunately the mplayer in RVM's ppa is quite old, nvdia-vdpau ppa has newer or even better is to compile your own following andrew46's excellent instruction on the Ubuntu forum.

16. steve161

I'm seeing a successful build from 22 weeks ago. Is that what you are considering old? Thanks for the link, I will take a look at it.

Edit: Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the version of mplayer in both ppa's seems to be 2:1.0~rc3

17. linuxforall

18. steve161

Haha. I think I should put "lazy and contented linux user" in my sig. Although, thanks to you, I am getting ppa fever. A list of active, trusted ppa's for Ubuntu would be a nice thing, especially for those who are planning to stick with the LTS (as I am.....so far).

19. katio

katio Guest

That would be nice. Currently I'm using zero ppas because of this. It's not just trust in a security sense but also trust in the competence of the devs as in delivering high quality and stable code.

Up to date mplayer ffmpeg-mt would be really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.