AVG Anti-Virus & Internet Security 2011 11.20 Build 3152

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. The subject is AVG Only. Please keep on topic. Thanks!

2. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

That cart is an AVG cart. It's not something we're involved with, hence why it wasn't discounted in our store(s).

However, I don't see any deception by AVG here. I can't see how anyone can complain about a £1.99 product, discounted from £14.99? How can that kind of deal make you angry? o_O

For example, everyone does "end of life" deals all the time. You can buy AVG Identity Protection from the likes of Amazon.co.uk and others and they don't flag them up as "this won't be continued" or similar. My assumption is that AVG wouldn't tell them and why should they?

AVG didn't say to us "we're going to offer this for £1.99 as we're going to discontinue the product"! We're not privy to that info and they might not have made those kind of decisions. We didn't even know the specs of the 2011 range, until you guys did, yesterday! Again, why do they need to share that info?

Since when do stores announce something has been abandoned?

And, just because it's not sold as a standalone product, who says they are going to stop working on the tech? For example, IDP is now part of 2011 - but that means it needs to be updated. I'd assume that also means they'll push those updates to IDP v9.

However, that's an AVG policy, not ours.

Chris.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so if one buys avg 9 from somewhere like amazon can they for FREE upgrade to 2011? i have a freind who just bought 2 copies from amazon digital delivery. thanks

4. m0unds

m0unds Guest

yep. just download the 2011 installer, it'll upgrade automatically and will preserve the key used to activate the previous version. just based on posts in this thread and a few other places, it'd probably be good to wait to upgrade for a little bit.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

great thanks ill let him know.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Seriously? First of all, it's not a £14.99 anymore. If it's been abandoned as a stand alone it's virtually worthless. Which means £1.99 is over priced. I understand you have sales to make, but that's beside the point. And the rest of your post is essentially, if everyone else does something deceptive then why can't AVG... That's hogwash. I believe there are some quality security products that have announced ahead of time that the product will no longer be continued as a stand alone product. I can make a list if you like. Most of those products are specialty products like behavior monitors. There is certainly a difference between a person buying a security product vs. some other type of product, i.e. entertainment software, etc. A security product has an inherent quality expected out of it. To continue selling an abandoned security product is deceptive as it is selling a false sense of security.

As I said before, my gripe is if the IDP stand alone is no longer developed. I don't leave my computer security to assumptions though. Whether the product is going to be updated or not will be based on fact not conjecture. And if the product will not be getting any updates I am going to request a refund for my three purchased licenses. Without updates they are worthless to me and should be worthless to anyone.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Makes me wonder what the hell were beta testers doing... half of the stuff is totally broken. I just found out now, that i can't send false positives from Vault to AVG. It just fails on each and every file.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Though i am impressed by the performance on MDL. Only 2 things got through. However it seems to be having problems cleaning rootkit stuff. Detected 28 elements, supposedly cleaned them but on next reboot it detects them again.
    Tried F-Secure BlackLight, Panda Anti-Rootkit and both failed to detect anything. GMER only deetcted AVG components. I guess i'll have to make a deeper inspection to make any kind of conclusions. Maybe give avast! a try since i know it's usually the best against rootkits...

9. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

You need to speak with AVG about this. Even we've not been told either way. We're just making an assumption!

£1.99 is not "overpriced" for something that will still give you support and definition updates. I don't think AVG are simply going to abandon people who bought the product - perhaps at full price - a month before they incorporate in to 2011.

Besides, with AVG offering it at £1.99, I guess they'd assume you might have figured that yourself?

I'll try and find out from AVG for you.

Chris.

10. guest

guest Guest

Yes please, I'm interested also in the future of IDP

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Can someone tell me if Identity Protection is also using some sort of signatures? Because during my test, IDP jumped up and i haven't even executed the file. So only way for it to do that is to detect the file using signature.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

That would be good to find out. I don't have time today to contact them but if you find something out and post here it would be appreciated. I'm sure some others would like the info as well. This is pretty important info IMO. Seriously, I don't like the stopping of the development of IDP. I believe there are people who would continue to use and purchase the stand alone program despite it being included in the free av, if the stand alone were continued to be developed.

13. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I haven't saw this kind of action from IDP, even i am bit surprised that you are facing too much problems with AVG .. And to be very honest i haven't faced any kind of problem with AVG .. GUI is having some problems but that too are negligible problems...

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Only problem I have had so far, it I seem to have trouble navigating Hotmail using Firefox since installing AVG 2011. I did not have this problem during the beta, but I was not using Linkscanner at the time. So my guess is it has something to do with that.

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, I'm in the process of e-mail AVG asking them, in first place, why the heck, after like 3 months after, they still haven't sent me an answer regarding the status of IDP.

Then, ask whether or not they'll provide it as a stand-alone as well. And, if not, if they don't consider this to be a bad model business decision, based on the fact that would help them (AVG) get more malware samples, hence having more signatures. A bit like what happens with Linkscanner, whichs reports them what websites users were visiting, and parheps which files.

I'm also discuss the UI. See if they understand it just can't be like that. I mean, there are rogue antimalware applications that look better. There are free applications that look better (AVG AV Pro and AVG IS are paid).

I'll also ask them about the "conflict" between Linkscanner and avast!. There is none of what so ever. They work fine together, if first Linkscanner gets installed. And "conflicts" being true, then it would be the users's ultimate choice whether or not to install them side by side. Not AVG's decision. They have no decision in what happens in someone's system; what they can or not install. Insane.

I'll give you a resume of what they answer me back.

They just don't seem to get their act together.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'd love to use avast! 5 + AVG IDP (only as stand alone free product).
    But they are chasing the, either use only AVG or don't use our product(s) at all.

17. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Yes it does use a database, in Norton Anti-Bot you could see witch database version was in use in the about screen.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But i think that was a database of the detection rules, not signatures. Or were they?

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

According to what I was once told by an AVG person, IDP protects by verifying patterns.

It beats whether or not there are any signatures. But, it's something I won't mind re-asking to AVG if they ever answer me back.

I'm guessing AVG support team has changed, because they used to be more responsive.

20. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I think they did move around there support team because they now have more staff mod's on the free forum when they at first had none.

21. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

So detection not that good then? No change there then. :rolleyes:

22. m0unds

m0unds Guest

go take a look at their beta forum sometime. terrible group of people if the forum is any indication of the quality of their testers. yuck.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've registered on their forums and have posted the issues, now i'll wait to see if anything will be done about it.

24. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

Yes it does.
    according to avg faq you can update it

"module: idat - update for Identity Protection component (whitelist). Improves detection."

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The company's gotten bigger.....maybe that's why responses are affected, though I guess I've been more lucky than you in this regard.

As for AVG IDP, the "Why AVG" webpage says this:

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/why-avg

Therefore, one should assume that Identity protection is indeed included in the free edition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.