How do i make my USB pendrive more secure?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Lebowsky, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, I can't comment on what constitutes "safely open" as I don't have the source code available, obviously. Looks like some ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ autorun re-implementation to me. Could as well open doors to malware if that "safely open" feature gets targetted by some malware and has some bug in it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  2. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

3. doktornotor

I have already commented on this elsewhere. It doesn't lock malware, it locks anything that's referenced in autorun.inf only and nothing else. You can still get perfectly fine infected by running any other malware on the USB stick. For this, I don't need any resident app, I simply disable autorun, done. With SRP I can disable executing stuff from these locations as well, done.

Well, getting back to the original topic here - you have two options:

- Get an USB stick w/ HW lock switch (yeah, they do exist, look elsewhere than your vendor who claims to not have them.)

- Use an USB SD card reader and the SD cards with write-protect flip on them. (Mind you, this isn't something like the floppy write-protect tab, the reader has to honor it and suggest to the OS that it's read-only media, it can be bypassed otherwise).

4. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

:) who wants to be protected against USB threats download an run this sample software and you will never be infected. Everyone can use it alongside AV program. Who thinks there's only one way (disabling autorun) is defend your PC's from USB threats so do like doktornotor sad :) .. oh yes, if you want to avoid viruses maybe you will refuse to use you PC completely ?? ;)

5. doktornotor

Once again, false. The USB Guardian thing:

- does NOT prevent you from running malware from USB stick (already said it at least 3 times, please verify your claims). Also, it doesn't contain any antivirus engine so it's no replacement for AV (and common sense).
    - does NOT prevent the USB stick from getting infected in other ways than the autorun part of the infection. You can (and most likely will) still get malware written to the USB stick when you insert it to an infected PC

6. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

FALSE, IT DOES THIS JOB!!!
    Hey doktornotor... someone pay you to writes articles like that? :D :D :D
    I don't understand why you so strongly against it. It's only software and who will try it and like it, he will use it.. I see you don't like it, so good luck!!! you can never use it.. it's your choice.. and I will never answer your stupid answers about how you hate it. bye doktornotor!.. OOH BEWARE!!! USB Guardain is coming!! :D :D :D

7. doktornotor

No, noone pays me. And once again - no it doesn't do the job. In order to finally understand it - go copy any executable to the USB stick and run it. Does it run? I don't care about USB Guardian but I'm trying to protect people from relying on misadvice given by you.

USB Guardian - How It Works:

There! It does zilch for stuff NOT referenced in autorun.inf. Nothing, nada.

And here comes the false sense of security point:

This is a completely false claim. :thumbd:

8. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

:D :D :D man, you are really fan. you protect people yeah? :D :D :D

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

dang.

tsilo, doktornotor is right..
    but I'm still going to use USB Guardian because it fits on how I want to build my system ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.