Microsoft slings mud at Google Chrome for 'stealing privacy'

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

WOW! they should have attacked Opera as well for the browser ballot screen in EU but I guess they see Chrome as their biggest competitor.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, unless people just don't even use a computer or don't read tech websites and such, it's been pretty obvious that Google has privacy problems and they'll collect whatever little piece of data they can get their hands on. Basically, Google treats data the same way a pirate treats treasure. I'm not sure what sort of "shocker" they think they're exposing. Users can be persuaded to get on the IE bandwagon, sure. Then they get the honor of going from the world's most privacy invading browser to the world's most exploited browser. Nice change there, eh? :D

These two companies will always go at each other, and when they bore of that they'll go pick on someone else. Not much to get out of this article, just business as usual.

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That's why Google cannot survive in China and had just died out there.:p

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use Chrome+ so Google's privacy issues are not an issue.

I would switch to Iron, but Chrome+ seems to update more often. Am I right in this assumption?

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Chrome is fast and safe, the percentage of people using it is going up and I dare say that not in a so distant future it is going to be No 2, MS knows it and obviously don't like it at all. Just wait until they have their own operating system. Privacy? Everyone's naked on the Internet.

7. progress

progress Guest

The reason is the google search engine - not the browser :)

I think so too :(

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! That sums it up perfectly.

"Microsoft believes your browser is yours and that you should know how you’re sharing information and how to opt-out of that experience..."

I wonder what Microsoft really believes...

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Bashing Microsoft leads no where. I am starting to trust them, fact is that they are the world's most controlled company and fact is also they are changing their company's strategy. You can see the different strategy in Windows 7, Windows Phone 7 (it is not about if that WP7 is any good, but they are changing strategy), great (free) Windows Live products (Writer, SkyDrive) and Microsoft Security Essentials. Also Office Web, and Office 2010 with a free Starter edition. I am done with the Microsoft bashing, I love them. I dropped Google Chrome and returned to IE8(as only browser), which is safe and perfectly integrated in your OS and careful with your privacy. In benchmarks they are a way slower, but in reallife your hardly notice that and a new version is coming. Years ago Microsoft was a threat to the competition, but now Google and Apple are way worse in their strategy.

10. Daveski17

I wouldn't say that I was 'bashing' MS particularly but their track record isn't spotless. I quite like Vista for instance, & I have no immediate need to upgrade & I think a lot of the attacks on it were unfair. I prefer it to XP & have had far less trouble with Vista (in fact hardly any problems). I've not seen a free MS Office edition in my country, although I'm not saying there isn't. I have Open Office anyway.

As for IE 8; I just hope IE 9 is better!

In benchmarks they are a way slower, but in reallife your hardly notice that and a new version is coming.

On my laptop IE 8 is like browsing in treacle in slow-motion. There is so much about it I don't like I don't really know where to start. I only use it when I have to. IE 9 would have to be good to drag me away from Opera & SRWare Iron.

11. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

That free version of Office is not out yet. As for the IE8 issue, it might be a difference that i am not using Vista anymore but Windows 7. Always when I read about startup times of browsers I am flabbergasted, here IE8 starts really quickly, so do new tabs.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Let's get this out of the way first, that "perfect integration" is the exact reason IE is so exploited. Also, I'm not Microsoft bashing, I'm stating fact when I say IE is the most exploited. I too think Microsoft has changed some, and for the better. But I also believe they have a long way to go still.

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

You are also right there =)

14. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I don't see either one of them being trustworthy. Microsoft lost my trust years ago. Google never had it. Pointing out that the integration of browser (IE) and OS (Windows) is the primary reason that Windows is so easily exploited isn't MS bashing. It's a statement of fact. It doesn't require a brain surgeon to figure out that exposing the OS as part of the attack surface results in its being exploited. How many years has it taken for them to figure this out? Yes, they're moving in the right direction but they've got a long way to go.
    It goes something like this:
    We own the operating system. You're just leasing its usage. We control it, and have the final say over it and everything on it. You will be required to prove that you've paid us every penny we feel we're entitled to or we'll find it to be not genuine and block your ability to update it and/or disable it. Whenever we want more cash, we'll release an "improved" OS, drop support for the old one, and you'll do it all over again.

I don't see where either one can point out problems with the other that they aren't just as guilty of themselves.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but EVERY piece of software you buy, hell, every DVD and CD you buy falls under that "leasing" BS. There's very very little left in the digital goods world that can actually be "owned". Back on topic though, I admit they are a bit overzealous with their "genuine advantage" stuff. It gets a little tiring to have to run that scan every time I update or want to try some Microsoft product. I can't get on them for release cycles I don't guess. After all, most Linux distros bring a new release every few months. Yes, I know they are free though :)

As far as dropping support, I don't know, Microsoft seems to take quite some time to fully drop support. Updates can go on for years, just look at XP. I get your point, it's basically pure corporate behavior though, not much different from other software companies.

16. Daveski17

I take it you are using a desktop, which is usually going to be faster than a laptop, & 7 has had some performance tweaks which probably contributes as well. I still don't like IE & I've used it on 7. De gustibus non est disputandum!

17. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

IE and its engine is already preloaded in MS OS so its no surprise that its the fastest to load.

18. Daveski17

Yeah...that just about sums it up.

Hmmmm.... The phrase the pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.

19. Daveski17

Yes, I forgot about that. I believe you can pre-load SeaMonkey in a similar way. SRWare Iron is the fastest thing to load on my laptop, even from a cold start. Opera & K-Meleon are marginally behind it.

20. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Actually I am on a laptop, but a quite fast one. P8700 (2.53Ghz), 4GB DDR3

21. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The public backlash and the poor sales of Vista had a lot to do with that. When 98 support was dropped, there was a similar backlash. At one point they reinstated support because of that backlash. Win 2000 support on the other hand will end on schedule because of the smaller user base. As for other software companies doing the same, their policies are kept in step with MS, especially when it comes to drivers. As soon as MS support for an OS ends, many remove the drivers from their websites. New software is deliberately made incompatible, usually by the installer. I've no doubt that MS coercion is the reason.

IMO, that type monopolistic control is a greater threat to users than one company's data hoarding. I can block access to everything Google without too much effort. But unless I want to learn a new OS, find software that replaces what I have, and fight the influence that MS has exerted on the hardware vendors to keep its monopoly, there's few options and all of them have problems of their own, so I stay with Windows, older versions. This PC has never seen WGA and never will. It wouldn't surprise me if some day "end of life" means they physically kill the OS, but for the present it's our choice whether we need or want their support. I don't. I enjoy having an OS that boots in under 20 seconds on older hardware, works with everything I plug into it, does everything I want, and lets me browse where I please with no problems.

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Too true, Google privacy is something we can control, but the OS, as you said, not so easily. Good point there :thumb:

23. Daveski17

Oh, OK sorry. That does explain it.

24. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning Chrome+. Im going to search for that site to check it out. So there are no privacy issues with Chrome+? If so that is great since I was about to post I was wanting to try Google Chrome, but wanted to know how to lock it down so that it's not spewing information back to Google.

If you can tell me more about Chrome+ and your experiences, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What I'd like to know as well is how bad is Chrome+ to uninstall? Chrome not only still stuck around with a lot of files after a good cleaning with Revo and CCleaner, but a few days ago I managed to find yet ANOTHER folder that was Chrome related. It's ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.