Recommended : Do Disable Startup Scan in Scheduler

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nanana1, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

New ESET version 4.2 startup scan is so aggressive and busy that you practically cannot do anything and my internet waits to be connected while it is scanning, so I do recommend to disable the startup scan in your scheduler.:cool:

Of course, it is good to leave the scan on but then it is not critical to have it so.
    After all, there is realtime protection 24/7.:ninja:

This is a very small compromise to get a BIG performance gain on your system.:D

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You can disable your start-up scan but really shouldn't

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thanks for the KB link ! Recommend to disable BOTH startup scan boxes instead of only one box as shown in the KB link.

This is a small compromise for a BIG performance gain. My system is continually protected by the realtime scan and that is really critical. Why scan everytime and so many times there's an virus definition updates which happen so often on a daily basis ?

For those who are still paranoid, you can schedule a weekly startup scan and perhaps this is the optimum balanced security and system performance approach. :cool:

4. siljaline

Your welcome for the link, however, I think you are going in the wrong direction by adjusting you default schedules to suit your needs.
    Someone from ESET would have to speak to this since scheduling is not my forté.

Regards,

5. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I already have Prevx scanning in boot time. Do you think NOD32 boot time scan is necessary in this case?

6. siljaline

Unless there is a conflict, I would leave both fully enabled. Perhaps an adjustment so both do not scan at the same time, again, someone from ESET would have to speak to this.

Thanks.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Actually, with this new version I do not have much choice due to its aggressive scanning resources used. Else, I'll have to revert to version 4.0.474. :(

Someone from ESET has already spoken.... https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1640882&postcount=2 and is not too far from my recommendation.;)

8. Waterfox

Waterfox Registered Member

Well, I have to disagree. The automatic startup scan in the new version is much better, mine is scheduled to scan on user logon once every 60 hours in idle mode. I can't see any performance hit on my system (running with CULV CPU 1.3 GHz).
    Of course I've disabled the other startup scan (that runs after every signature update).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Gave up on version 4.2.35.0. Surfing has become lag and sometimes unresponsive with this version.:mad: :ouch:

Back with version 4.0.474 and all is good now.:shifty:

10. Handries

Handries Registered Member

For the same reasons I have reverted back to version 3.0.695.0, as the start-up scan takes less time and resources, and having an older computer surfing is faster and I do not suffer from frequent lock-ups, crashes and forced re-boots.
    Especially with version 4.2.35.0. this became a pain, and was very frustrating.
    As far as I can see with the older version I have the same basic protection as with the latest releases, as the same up-to-date modules are installed in version 3.0.695.0.

11. siljaline

We clearly need a revised if not completely overhauled Scheduler/Planner FAQ as it would be apparent that some of you are reverting to previous builds due to issues with the start-up scan. :ouch:

12. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Some of us are having issues with the new version which may or may not be related to the scheduler/planner.

13. siljaline

And those issues would be, what, exactly - most that I know like the new build, fwiw...

14. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

15. siljaline

Yes, I did see that thread as I posted to it, though I wouldn't consider the OP bug report and yours a huge raft of reports of the new build. :)

Have not read of complaints of the new build elsewhere, save new users that have not allowed sufficient time to learn the program.
    NOD32 is complex and does take time, but, with some patience, it will work for you and everyone else in the end.

I am on your side ! Since it is the weekend, let laying dogs lay, as it were, and perhaps we shall see some additional comments from ESET a bit later.

Regards,

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Very happy to report that my internet surfing is finally now back to normal and fast with v4.0.474.0. :D

Don't know what's with v4.2.35.0 that is causing my surfing to lag and become unresponsive at many times and the aggressive scan resources use, etc. Anyway, gave up on v4.2.35.0 is the best decision for me. :shifty:

Enjoying my weekend now on v4.0.474.0 ! *puppy* :D

17. siljaline

It is entirely your decision to rollback to the previous build and I am happy for you that it meets your needs. :thumb: However, I will forge ahead with the current build as I helped prove-out the Beta.
    Unless I encounter major issues, which I have not, I will remain with the current build for now.
    I and other certainly appreciate your feedback in making NOD32 better.
    Kind regards,

18. Nasenmann

Nasenmann Registered Member

I figured out, that disabling the "Advanced heuristic"-Option in the StartupScan speeds thingss up a lot (from 10-15min to 10 sec). Version 4.2.35 / WinXP Pro 32-Bit

19. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

What's your hardware?
    My netbook is a little affected with ESS startup scan, but that's normal for such hardware (Ion, 1 GB RAM, Win7) but certainly a dual core processor should be able to deal with this feature perfectly.

20. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

yeah turning it off was one of the first things I did, also bear in mind it will screw up windows prefetch and superfetch because those two look at files accessed on boot, and if nod32 starts scanning when you login.

but the bigger point is I guess wy so much redundant checking, I would consider startup scan if I had realtime turned off, email and web off etc. but there is no need for it all to be on.

21. siljaline

As I have said further up this thread we are in desperate need of a comprehensive scheduler/planner FAQ from ESET. :ouch:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Well said ! :thumb:

I often asked myself why scan so many times especially after each virus definition update which can be a few times daily. I never turned realtime, e-mail, web scans off at any time. Of course, it's good to scan again and again just in case (been doing that for a few years now and never caught any nasties during the scans, most nasties were detected at point of download or file creation) and that's a conservative approach. I prefer a balanced approach.:cool:

23. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

better not to disable the start up scan altogether ... what i did was to just schedule start up scan everyday and then disable start up scan on every update and I just added a schedule for a compete scan every week instead.

24. piranha

piranha Registered Member

I agree. I tried several things too because here, with my old Pentium 3 733 and 512 Mb ram, the startup scan take all cpu. I didnt disabled it but scheduled it daily at 8 pm. It is not the best thing to do but it will stay like thant until i find another solution ! But I disabled others scan (after update, after user logon...), i agree with chrcol, it is redundant checking

What is your configuration (CPU, memory, windows...) ? Do you have many apps that start with window ? Here I only have my antivirus (nod32) and firewall (outpost free) at startup and i can run nod32 v4.2.35 and it looks better here than v4.0 for cpu usage but got the same statup scan issue... And set a lower priority (Marcos suggestion i see somewhere...), didnt solve the problem

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  25. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Got to say I don't see any issues with the startup scan. Thought I would but I guess not.

I am new to this program and guess I am impressed with it so much over my old program that I don't notice any issues because my old program was nothing but junk. It did not start out that way 9 years ago but has gotten bad.

Anyway I am testing this product on three machines and have decided to purchase it. The fastest machine sees no noticeable issues and the slowest machine which is my test computer with just a 566 processor only takes a few moments to do the boot scan. Nothing to be upset with. I guess because after my other lousy program everything is faster with NOD. I can even use the computer during an in-depth scan. Forget that with the old program.

As far as my scheduled scans I did leave the boot scan on but did turn off the scan on every update. Don't figure I need to scan every couple of hours, old program did not have that feature and in 9 years never had an issue I needed taken care of within a few moments of an update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.