Linux Mint 8 Helena - Superb execution

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you Ocky, this is excellent!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  2. korben

korben Registered Member

wow, nice one! still unachievable on my VMLite.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Great. Remember you can also install hddtemp for the hard drive temps. Then you can check the temps in terminal like shown in the ss. On install you could choose to also install the deamon - then you will be able to see and configure in gkrellm.
    I have some temps displayed in Awn panel (just for fun). :D

Temps.jpg

hddtemp.png

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Very slick. It looks like the sensors will monitor most temperature-critical hardware :thumb: BTW, I'm a little surprised at my GPU temps (first two on the left). Even though they're liquid cooled they seem a bit high.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

They look quite normal to me - also depends on ambient temp. :cool:

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That's good to see. Then I won't worry about it. It's a huge case, and ambient temp is ~ 20 C.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Heh, heh, well it seems I should have been concerned after all :eek: It wasn't long ago I blew dust out of the machine but lately I'd had some strange power issues with the machine not always powering on the first try, and having to reset the power switch on the psu before it would turn on. Last night things got worse. It would power off on its own. I thought maybe the overclocking (5%) and bumped up RAM voltage (2.75) was doing it, but in the end, after my machine was off for over 15 min, my psu (silent, no fan, type) was very hot to the touch. I guess a nice blanket of dust was keeping it toasty :D Cleaned it out and now it runs far cooler. As the applet shows, all temps are far cooler than before and voltages in BIOS hardware monitor don't jump about as much as they were last night.

Attached Files:

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Seeing you have liquid cooling .... otherwise the temps before dust removal didn't seem excessive. On average my pile runs at 39/40C with ambient temp 22C and I have only one card viz. GeForce 9600GT. In aluminium chassis - I remove dust about every 4/6 months but there is hardly any. :) This is the tower .. http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...135&cl_index=1&sc_index=38&ss_index=96&g=spec
    Bad, baaad dog, for not cleaning regularly.:argh:

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yeah, the liquid cooling keeps the temps lower than normal, but the psu is cooled only by a fan in front of it. I think a reciprocal effect happened: the dust layer in the psu caused overheating, causing the voltages to become unstable, therefore causing the cpu and gpu's to run hotter than normal. Anyway, all's been excellent since the cleaning, something I do usually every 4 months or so, but somehow I missed some dust within the psu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.