NOD32 Will Not Start

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Wonkabear, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonkabear

Wonkabear Registered Member

First, let me say that this is the first time I've encountered any problems with NOD32. It's always operated flawlessly for me in the 3 years I've been using it.

However, recently, ever since I updated to version 4.0.474.0 it has been causing boot up problems with my system.

I use ESET NOD32 Anti-virus, version 4.0.474.0 (Registered) as my anti-virus program. I also use Malwarebytes, version 1.42 (Registered) for any other malware that may be trying to invade my system.

However, there seems to be a conflict between the two ever since the programs were updated to be Windows 7 compatible. (I use Windows XP Home Version fully updated)

I noticed recently that on system startup, that the system was not booting up fully.

It would do it's normal windows crank up (Windows XP fully updated) and then hang. Malwarebytes would not start up and neither would NOD32. The system just sits there with the little hour glass rotating.

After a lot of trial and error....basically turning off start up programs and turning them on one by one, I found that if I only have Malwarebytes starting up everything works fine.

Also, if I only have NOD32 starting up, everything works fine.

It's when both are starting up that the system hangs and will not fully boot up.

Don't know if it's Malwarebytes or NOD32, but I suspect NOD32 is the culprit, because NOD32 was the most recent change to my system.

Malwarebytes was update on 1 Dec to it's latest version and NOD32 was updated on 4 Dec.

Prior to the 4th of Dec, I did not have any problems.

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone at ESET check this out.

Other than that, thanks for a great program, Merry Christmas and have a great day.

William Peek
    Fayetteville NC

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Wonkabear,

Does the registered version of Malwarebytes have a real-time scanner? If so, you should only have one antivirus running real-time on your machine, otherwise they conflict with each other and cause issues. It sounds as though both NOD32 and Malwarebytes are running start-up scans and competing with each other. I would recommend to have only one of them run a scan on start-up and make sure that only one of them is running in real-time. The other can be used for scheduled scans to make sure your system is clean.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. Wonkabear

Rmuffler,

First, thanks for the reply. It is definitely appreciated.

I got a similar reply from the techs at Malwarebytes. They told me to put certain of Malwarebytes files in the exclusion area of NOD32 and that should help.

Did it and nope, did not cure the problem.

However, I took your suggestion and I think I stopped Malwarebytes from doing a startup system check.

So far, everything appears to be booting up fine.

I'll check back in here in a few days and let ya know how it is going.

Again, thanks for the reply. Merry Christmas and have a great day.

Bill

4. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your reply. I hope everything is working smoothly. :thumb:

- Richard

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Wonkabear, I have the same problem as you. Can you please tell me how you stopped MBAM from doing a startup system check? I wasn't aware it was doing that. I don't see an option to stop it. Thanks in advance. :)

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The AV Forums seems to be chock-full of queries regarding Mlawarebytyes' real-time scanning and NOD32 AV and perhaps ESS, as well.
    I am following a topic at the MBAM Forums hopefully it will get flagged and we will see something positive come of it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  7. Wonkabear

Sorry guys for not getting back to ya sooner.

Well, even tho I took the suggestions of a tech a Malwarebytes to exclude certain files from NOD32 scan on start up, it did not help the situation as I originally thought it did.

I finally stopped MWB from starting up and now only use it as a back up scanner to my system.

Again I apologize. Please forgive me and I hope someone can figure this thing out.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and I wish ya all a very Happy New Year.

Bill

8. siljaline

9. Wonkabear

Update as of 27 Dec 09.

I stopped NOD32 from doing a "Startup System Files Scan" when cranking up my system.

This seems to have alleviated the problem so far.

******EDITED FOR NEW CONTENT******

OOOPPPSSS! That did not cure the situation. So going back to letting NOD32 start up normally and shutting off MWB and using it as a manual scanner.

Ya'll have a happy out there.

Billy Bob

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

AHA! Thanks to Wonkabear's post, I looked at my "system start up file check" status in my NOD32 again, and see that it is listed twice, one for frequently used and one for commonly used files. I had set them to scan once a week on Monday at 5pm and 6pm. If I missed the scan time they would try again asap. I have unchecked one of the scans, and kept one, changing the schedule to read Monday at 5pm, and if I miss the scan wait for the next scheduled scan. This way it can't scan when I am booting up unless I'm booting up on Monday at 5pm.
    I have done a reboot, and shut down and did a boot, and it hasn't screwed up 2 for 2. I'm being cautiously optimistic in thinking this is the fix. ;)

11. marktreg

marktreg Registered Member

One of the Experts is now dealing with twl845's thread at the MBAM forums.

12. siljaline

13. marktreg

I mean that a proper Expert has replied to twl845's thread, not just me. All I managed to do was establish that there was no specific conflict between NOD32 and MBAM's realtime protection module running at startup on an XPSP3 system. The proper Expert is going to try to completely solve twl845's problem, whatever the cause of it is.

I can't seem to use the Private Messaging system here at the moment. So if an Admin could contact twl845 and tell him that his thread at MBAM forums is still ongoing, that would be great.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Marktreg, Thanks for the heads up that the thread is still ongoing. I will report back to you there later today. For the benefit of folks in this thread, thanks to Marktreg's advice to lighten the load on bootup, I unchecked 3 apps in my copy of Autorun:
    PerfectDisk in Boot Execute tab
    iTunes helper in Logon tab
    Sandboxie in Logon tab

Since doing this I have been able to successfully boot or reboot 6 times. If I can do 10 in a row I'll cautiously say unchecking those apps in Autorun fixed the problem. For information on this, check my thread in the MBAM forum.

15. marktreg

Thanks for replying, twl845. Well, that's sounding quite promising so far. I hope you do get ten in a row. It would be nice if I actually have managed to diagnose the problem before the proper Experts become involved. That would definitely be a feather in the cap for me. LOL. :D Anyway, we'll see later.

16. siljaline

Your updated thread. :thumb:

17. grun93

grun93 Registered Member

Yes, I had the same problem in the past, but only when the two applications were launched automatically at startup. First NOD32 used to start, and after a few seconds Mbam would fire up. From that moment on the pc would freeze and nothing was working anymore. So no mouse movement, and the TaskManager would not work either. The only thing possible was to turn the pc off by the powerswitch.

The problem was solved when I decided to start Mbam manually, rather than automatically. I did not change the settings in either program.

System: Asus A8N-E mobo, 2 Gb RAM, Windows XP Pro with SP3 and the latest patches.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Click the thread in post#16 and see the solution so you can leave MBAM activated. :D

19. siljaline

This post :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.