True Image Home 2009 crashes at start

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by twchan, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twchan

twchan Registered Member

Hi,

I've just installed TrueImage Home 2009 successfully, but when I launch it, the program halts:
    1. Start up banner shows: analyzing drive C, analyzing drive D;
    2. Start up banner shows: Initialize...
    3. Main program starts up and immediately crashes with "Acronis True Image has encountered a problem and needs to close."

More info > Error signature says:
    AppName: trueimage.exe
    AppVer: 12.0.0.9709
    ModName: trueimage.exe
    ModVer: 12.0.0.9709
    Offset: 00213bd4

Please let me know what else I can provide to help fix this problem.

Regards

-T.W.Chan-

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing?

Colin

3. twchan

twchan Registered Member

Hi,

Yup, a few times; same result, no joy.

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

I know, what I suggest now sounds weird...

Please do two things:
    1. "CHKDSK x: /r" from the DOS box (without quotes, 'x' is your drive letter)
    Do point 1 for all your partitions. (the Boot-partition requires a restart).

2. run memtest86 (see my signature) to check your RAM

Both points last a lot of time, I know that. But often one of these points is/was the problem.

5. twchan

twchan Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Here is what I have managed to do so far:
    1. Uninstalled TrueImage Home 2009.
    2. Reinstalled TrueImage Home 10. It works without any problem; my old *.tib files can still be read; the main TrueImage program runs fine.
    3. Reinstalled TrueImage Home 2009 over 10. Same problem recurs: TrueImage Home 2009 crashes (exactly same way) upon startup.

Interestingly:
    a. I can still double-click my old *.tib files to read stuff off them
    b. I can also mount them as drives.

Not sure why the main screen is so unfriendly to me.

Regards

-T.W.Chan-

6. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

It is not recommended.
    The normal way is to uninstall an older Ti-version. If it fails you can use the cleanup-utility of Acronis

All this is no evidence that your RAM and your filesystem have no errors.

I only can suggest the both things of my latter posting to exclude a hardware error.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

twchan, what is your operating system?

To find the exact reason for the encountered issue you should provide us with the following diagnostic files:

1) If you use Windows XP:

- Press the Start button, choose Run, type drwtsn32 and hit Enter;- In the dialog that appears check the Log File Path and Crash Dump paths;
    - Set the Crash Dump Type to Full.
    - Make sure the Dump Symbol Table option is checked, then click the OK button;
    - Reproduce the problem;
    - drwtsn32.log and user.dmp files will be created in the directories specified in Log File Path and Crash Dump.

If you use Windows Vista:

- Reproduce the problem (application crash);
    - Do not close the "Application has stopped working" window;
    - Run Task Manager (press Ctrl-Shift-Esc);
    - Go to "Processes" tab and right-click on the crashed process;
    - Select the "Create Dump File" item;
    - Pick the .DMP file created;
    - Open Start->Run, type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive string and hit Enter;
    - After that you will see a folder (or a few folders), the name of which starts with "Report"
    - Collect the Report.wer file from the last created folder.

2) Please download Acronis Report utility available here and run it, create a report.
    This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

3) - Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)";
    - Send us the saved file.

Please obtain the above files and contact us here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

8. twchan

twchan Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running Windows XP. Where/how do I send the 26.2MB zipped file (with the 4 files) to?

Regards

-T.W.Chan-

9. everbright

everbright Registered Member

Hi,

I hit exactly the same problem as well with my laptop!
    I've got the 4 files as requested. Where do I send them to?

10. everbright

Forgot to mention:

My laptop's a Dell Vostro 1400 with Windows XP SP3.

11. everbright

I've just tried Mr Morse's suggestion to perform the Memtests and the chkdsk on all my paritions, but no luck with that either.

2 more observations which I'm not sure helps:
    1. I tried to go into Safe Mode to run True Image Home and it crashed as well, like when in Normal mode, so it looks unlikely to be some driver issues as well.

2. Also I noticed that the "Initialize" process, which happens after the partitions are examined, took extremely long during Safe mode, but much faster during Normal mode.

Is there a way of backing up the MBR without needing to go into "Acronis Home"?
    Coz I could actually back-up the hard-disk partition itself by invoking the individual "Backup" context menu from right-clicking on the partitions.
    I could also recover from the .TIB created.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

12. Dennis in Hawaii

Dennis in Hawaii Registered Member

OK here goes folks. I have the same problem as discussed above. While the version from CD (v?) works fine, the downloaded TI 12.0.9709 crashes ("stops working") immediately after analyzing the partitions. As soon as the main sceen appears after apparently the analysis is finished, the "stopped working" message occurs. This is not nice.

My config: Vista HE x64, on a new HP Pavilion DV3z. I don't have all day to fool around with this unfortunately. There is obviously a serious bug here. Like the other writer, in safe mode it also fails.

I'd be happy to send you the dumps if you can get this thing fixed! This is the first time in a long time that I have seen a quality issue with your products.

Aloha, Dennis in Hawai'i

13. everbright

Yah, this is a pretty glaring issue.

I think Acronis put in some form of interim (maybe offer affected users a downgraded workable version, or send them a CD version of it, since Dennis mentioned that the CD version works?) while they look into the fix, if it's going to take some time?

Else is there a committed date when this will be resolved?

Have used some Acronis products (my company uses it for server back-ups) before and was rather impressed by the ease of use. That's why I decided to try this out when I was shopping for a home solution. Am rather disappointed with how this turned out :(

14. ksc91u

ksc91u Registered Member

15. everbright

ksc91u, your fix works! Thanks!

Now I have another problem though. I tried to create a back-up task in manual run mode, and set it to Run Task Now. But it didn't run when I completed the wizard.
    Trying to start the task manually using either right-click and Run or clicking on the Start button in the Toolbar didn't work either.

Anyone has any ideas if this is a bug or if I'm missing some configuration somewhere?

16. ksc91u

ksc91u Registered Member

What kind of backup task did you create?

I still can not backup

1. Full disk, crash like before. (My Computer)
    2. Folder backup(My Data), even a small folder, the program holds at "Processing" state forever.

I suppose you create a Folder backup, right?

17. Dennis in Hawaii

Thanks KSC, I will try this. But I never get to the "main page", I crash ("stopped working") just as the main page presents itself (after the interminable "initializing" phase apparently ends successfully). I have another computer (same OS - Vista HE x64, and pretty much the same configuration) and it works fine. So I am trying to imagine what might be different about the computer on which the problem occurs:

1. I created 4 partitions on my hard disk using GPARTED (open source partitioning software). It worked great but I wonder if this created some artifact which is causing the problem. I did CHKDSK etc and everything looks fine on the disk.

2. I have removed and reinstalled Acronis now several times. I probably should do a very clean install from the CD (after using the Acronis cleanup utility) and see if that fixes the problem.

That's about it. I will try your registry patch, but I am not holding my breath!

Aloha, Dennis

18. Shaun5

Shaun5 Registered Member

I am having the exact same problem as twchan. Did this ever get resolved? I tried the registry hack that ksc91u posted, but that did not work.

I am running Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit. I downloaded the install file after buying it from the Acronis website. Can I get a CD since Dennis From Hawaii says install from that seems to work?

I also made the four files that Acronis Support requested from twchan and emailed them off to support tonight. Wold like to get this resolved ASAP. This is the first program I am trying to install on this new PC. I'd like to get a good backup of the original setup before I start installing other stuff.

19. Dennis in Hawaii

Hello again,

I was going to try this "patch" but alas when I look at the Vista x64 registry, this is what I see:

In the ...SOFTWARE\Acronis folder I find a folder named TrueImage (not TrueImageHome. I find no folders (specifically no settings folder) within the TrueImage folder.

Are the registry settings different between XP (which KSC is using) and Vista HE x64 which I am using? (I am running TIH 12.0.9709).

Thanks again.
    =Dennis

20. Shaun5

Shaun5 Registered Member

I saw the same thing. The message said to add the registry key, so I figured maybe the additional keys were made when the program was first run, which is why it wasn't there. I went ahead and made a new key as described. It didn't work. It could be the registry keys are different between XP and Vista. I haven't gone any further than this.

21. Shaun5

Shaun5 Registered Member

Is anyone from Acronis reading this thread? Is this issue being worked on? No response here and no response to my email requests. If this continues, I'll be requesting a refund pretty soon.

22. Dennis in Hawaii

Acronis has been very quiet on this one, huh. Anyway I have been able to get going. Here is what I did:

1. Uninstalled 12.0.9709
    2. Used Acronis Clean Up Utility (to remove everything)
    3. Installed 12.0.9608 from CD

Now it is working fine. So I have given up on 12.0.9709, but 12.0.9608 seems to be working ok, and brought me to the OneClick screen successfully.

Hope this helps.
    -Dennis

23. Shaun5

Shaun5 Registered Member

Where did you get the CD?

24. Dennis in Hawaii

I bought the CD, on ebay. Since you already have the downloaded copy,. maybe you could ask Acronis to give you a link so you could download 12.0.9608. Also remember to use the Acronis Clean up Utility. Aloha.

25. Shaun5

Shaun5 Registered Member

I am not too impressed with their tech support. They supposedly sent me a link to an ISO image. It turns out, it was just the same old install executable I downloaded when I bought the program. If this isn't resolved in a week, I will get my money back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.