Test Mode

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by MasterTB, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Did anyone see this? (see pic)
    According to Eset's Help, there is a Test Mode (Modo de Prueba -in spanish-) that lets you download what I assume would be Beta updates into your V4 install of ESS (perhaps EAV too).

This is what the help file says -in Spahish- maybe soneone can copy and paste the english version, just to ensure accuracy... I'm not sure I should Transalte.

"Activar modo de prueba
    Seleccione esta opción si desea instalar versiones previas de módulos del programa. Los módulos nuevos del programa pueden ofrecer nuevas funciones o solucionar problemas. Sin embargo, pueden provocar problemas de uso y presentar errores incluso si el fabricante los ha probado con exhaustividad. El modo de prueba está indicado para entornos en los que se puede probar el software sin que ello suponga la interrupción del trabajo que ha realizado el usuario del equipo. No se recomienda para los sistemas o entornos de producción en los que es importante la estabilidad."

Attached Files:

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I have test mode but I don't have anything in my help files.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's right.

4. elapsed

/turns on

5. elapsed

How strange I turned it on, it downloaded a 20mb update file along with what seemed to be 8 modules updates, the only difference I notice is that my firewall module is now older?

6. elapsed

Did ESET revert the firewall module to 1040?

7. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

this introduction is weird :
    Seleccione esta opción si desea instalar versiones previas de módulos del programa.
    - choose this option to install previous versions of the program modules.
    test mode o_O o_O

8. elapsed

So I unticked test mode and it re-downloaded some stuff but I'm still at firewall module 1040, do I need to reinstall? What module are you at Bensec?

9. MasterTB

My firewall Module is 1044 and I have Test Mode OFF

10. MasterTB

I believe It should say Seleccione esta Opción si desea Instalar Versiones Nuevas de módulos del programa.... choose ... to install new versions of the program modules...
    Otherwise the Help file is incoherent.

11. elapsed

DO NOT ENABLE TEST MODE

After reboot I couldn't access the internet, I had to uninstall and reinstall again to get the latest modules, as unticking would not give me them.

I wouldn't care if it was new modules that are buggy, but it isn't. It downloaded modules from last year and broke the internet.

Do not use.

12. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

yep It seemed that this mode is ridiculous, so is its description.:mad:
    it may be better named as user-testing mode o_O
    hope it wouldnt be too difficult for elapsed to get his ess back to nomal;)

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

My test mode has been enabled on all my computers with v4 since 02 March , reboots everyday ... It causes me no problems.

14. cocolucho

cocolucho Registered Member

test mode, works well, the 3913 update today

15. MasterTB

Just like yours, I enabled test mode on my laptop, leaving it off on my desktop PC, and the only difference is that with test mode on, my firewall module is 1040 (20080924) and with it of it is 1044 (20090121) so, either test mode is enabled by default and ticking the option disables it or Eset reverted the firewall module to a four months old version.
    I think this needs clarification from Eset's mods.

16. Wizzleby

Wizzleby Registered Member

Hello, I recently was having problems with FPs on certain IDS rules.

Detections of DNS Cache Poisoning attempt, covert channel data in ICMP packet (this seemed to happen when trying to get new IP data sometimes), incorrect TCP/IP checksum, and Reverse TCP Desynchronization attack (from a trusted network fileshare, the computer which serves it also running ESS 4)

After research, I found these are most likely false positives, and came across the idea of turning on test mode. Despite the issues, I figured I would give it a try. worst can happen is I need to reinstall..

Well, here's how it went (and there is a happy ending)
    First, I enabled test mode, it downloaded updates and installed them, and then ESS reports that it cannot migrate the firewall rules, and the eset icon in system tray is red, and the firewall is not working. Rebooted, and eset icon is blue, but I am unable to establish DHCP connectivity. Static IP config works fine. Finally, I get the idea to turn the firewall off and try renewing dhcp. that works, turn firewall back on, and no more dhcp problems. Can renew/release no problem.

I checked in the about, and the firewall module is 1044, not 1040 as some others have gotten.

I have yet to run it for very long, so far I have still seen one erroneous 'reverse tcp desynch' attack in the log (Again from trusted fileshare that is clean)
    But I must admit that this has not affected my internet connectivity like some others.
    I would like to see the IDS rules work a bit better, though I wonder if this is not my router causing some shennanigans (Dlink DIR-655)

Just thought I would post my experiences,

Wizzleby

17. martinrabson

martinrabson Guest

The whole issue people are having with the Firewall and with the test mode button is very interesting.

I have always had with ESS_V4
    Personal firewall module: 1044 (20090121) Test Mode on or off? no connection issues.

Bump for ESET comment :-*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.