New Avira SS 9 Beta Is Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I just got an e-mail from Avira Beta. There is a new build of Avira Security Suite 9 beta available. I haven't installed it. Not sure I will. They were suppose to fix the problem with the German language in the English language product with this build. Hopefully they did.

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

The only German part is at Scheduler-> Update job title. The rest is English only.

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Just installed it and it seems to run a bit lighter than the previous beta.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well that good to hear :)

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes it is very fast and getting very interesting before it is over.

I always love Aviras betas. The hard things are always perfect, and the easy things that you would think are easy, turn out hard. Lol:thumb:

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

whats new in the beta or whats coming for this new version?

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

changelog hasn't been released yet :)

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

As long as it has been disclosed till now:

-changed GUI (top banner and splash screen)
    -better packers support
    -basic configuration during installation
    -improved system impact
    -more english in the program (german parts are only under Scheduler-> Updater).

I hope the official changelog will be out also.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

To the Avira incrowd

I have been playing with the new heuristics. I am surprised how they can excel with this 'traditional' technology. Either Avira has discovered something the other AV's do not use ( I know only Avast, AVG, Rising, thus only freewares).

Recently I predicted that Avira would increase their detection rate on retroperspective tests (after trying the first beta).

I had a free afternoon and my wife had to work, so I made a image backup, installed the latest beat and tested with a fresh collection of a honeypot of a friend.

Out of the 36 new samples I had, it discovered 28 with heuristics and 6 with their regular data base!

This is an incredible high percentages (28 out of 30). Although the test sample is small and is not really statistical relevant, this is the fourth time Avira beta 9 gets this incredible high score (all were over 85%, while Avira scored in old AV-comparatives test around 75% or so)

So I am wondering: can somebody please tell me something about this new AHEAD heuristics, because the help files still mention win32 file heuristics. I can only find a news item of 2006 in which they announced Ahead heuristics, but it is now renamed in the application to ahead also. The heuristics of Avira seem to work something simular to Twister (only with far less false positives).

By the way that news announcement mentiones Avira's acting manager (believe it or not, is called) Gernot Hacker

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Kees, I would suggest your sending a PM to Stefan. I am pretty sure he can help you.

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Very impressive results there,not run of the mill heuristics.Perhaps more details of the technology behind it will emerge once it's finalised.:doubt:

Quote:

Avira’s heuristic analysis method AHeAD-(Advanced Heuristic Analysis and Detection) technology is responsible for this positive test result. AHeAD proactively recognizes unknown malware, i.e. before any special recognition pattern against the bug has been created. Avira relies among other things on innovative structure analysis: the heuristics determine on the basis of the characteristics of the file, of the progression of significant code sequences or of certain behavior patterns, whether it is a bug file or a virulent file. For the user this system means maximum security – the Avira antivirus software protects the user against the known destructive programs of today and also against the malware of tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Fortunately he's not one of the evil ones :D

Kees, did you test heuristics at medium or high level? Thank you.

13. Kees1958

Sorry I tested with HIGH heuristics

I rely for my system security on other products.

I use an Antivirus because I do not want to spread virusses when forwarding/sending files received from others/downloaded from the internet.

The AV I run only checks at writes, so Heuristics can be set to high, because only new arrivals are checked. These new arrival are always non-critical files, so I can afford a false Positive, because deleting a new arrived file does not hurt my system.(damage the OS or the functioning of a program).

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  14. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Does Avira 9 have a lot of FPs? What about its self-protection? Has it improved?

15. Kees1958

About the FP's,

Only 1 occurred in the time I used it (I have Avast for 60% of the time Avira 30% AVG 10%), Avast none and AVG also 1. I have Avira's heuristics set to high of teh guard and low on the scanner.

This subset (which I can not distribute, because promised my friend who has a professional IT enterprise for smaller and SOHO business, sorry) only consisted of malware. SO I can not tell

Cheers.

16. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

how is their firewall software part of this suite? is it easy to figure out and does it not annoy you constantly to allow or block something and also does it remember?

robin

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well wen i tried the current Suite from Avira it was pretty quiet and basically did its job, nothing more or less. pretty simple firewall. it remembered fine for me.

18. robinb

robinb Registered Member

my subscription for avg 8.0 with firewall expires in sept 09. If they do not get their acts together by then I might just switch to Avira.

robin

19. karmapolice

karmapolice Registered Member

Avira's website lists "Improved update system" as a new feature in Avira 9.

Does anyone now if the the new update system solved the once-in-a-while big update problem of Avira AntiVir? (I mean by eliminating the need to download such huge updates, not by having better servers, etc.) o_O

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Things are moving very fast with Avira. Yes the firewall is being improved and will reduce the number popups. A HIPS module is currently under development. Optimized scanning. The ability to stop drive-by malware. There are a host of other goodies being worked on. It is going to be nice to see the finished product but overall, a big change is in the works over the previous version.

21. ugly

ugly Registered Member

The last build has a bug and does not remember.....wait for the next one.

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

My old beta account was deleted due to inactivity, i made a new one wich got removed later on so im guessing the beta is closed, i read somethingh across those lines on the beta forum - nevertheless can anyone provide me the latest beta build please?

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

as far as I know it isnt closed. If you registered it should still be good.

if not register again. I am sure they have eyes watching now to see you are interested.;)

24. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Under what name did you register?

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

username = faas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.