Twister Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildvirus88, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duca bianco

duca bianco Registered Member

Compliments really!
    I foresee great future for twister;)

2. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Im almost ready to try - but want to know if it detects running rootkits, modified trojans and polymorphic trojans.

Cheers

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

From the help-file;

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Some "politically oriented" posts have been removed.

The topic here is simply an anti-virus product, not politics, govt spying or anything like that.

5. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker Registered Member

Thank you for the reply and explaination!!!!!

The process was wmpntwk (WMP 11 media sharing) that kept checking the pictures folder. After some research I found out that I was not alone in wondering about that VERY active service. I disabled sharing in WMP11 and disabled the serice startup, voila, no more real time scanning of my pictures folder by that process and subsequently scanned by Twister :D .

I'm feeling much better about this software now, pass the humble pie please:doubt: .

As far as the explaination of the different variants of the viruses and trojans, I understand that completely but I just found it odd that the EXACT file names did not show up on other A/V sites.

Hopefully you'll make it on A/V Comparitives subsequently perform well. Also I respect your silence on the Golden Shield project:blink: .

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have installed it and run a scan and it crashed the system when scanning a large rar file (600meg)

Is this a common fault?

7. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Hmm, Well I didn't get any problems scanning a 1.53gb *.Rar file

Filecabs, Is there any links that we could please view some detection results??

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  8. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have identified it is a rar file causing it to hang the system. I have uploaded it here if you want to test it to see if your system hans as well:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QBI5SBII

File is perfectly safe.

9. Blackcat

Check out posts 147 and 158; they have yet to be officially tested yet.

10. Blackcat

Scanning archives (in particular CAB, JAR and RAR files) does not seem to be a Twister strength as it seems to slow down/stop on scanning these large files.

So place any problem file(s) in the Trusted object list for now.

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Jagshemash.

I have uninstalled it now as it would hang the system when scanning or indeed when not scanning. I tried uninstalling SAS and a few other things, to see if that helped. if I removed SAS, twister would scan the rar file without hanging the system, but would terminate itself during the scan! When I started Twister again, it would change the aesthetics of XP to win 2000 and then about 30 seconda later, hang the system!

It could be it does not like my hardware or something, who knows. Other than it being incompatible with my particular setup, I liked the interface and it was fast and light.

Gone back to F-Secure with SAS. Solid as a rock.

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Another political post removed. This thread is about a specific anti-virus product, not a country or anyone's "cyber-militia". Let's stay focused on the product.

13. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

i have not had it to crash when scanning but have noticed that the [JAR] files do take some time to scan. my 120 gig hdd take about 1.5hr with Twister set to scan compressed files to max. and it fails to start up if you try a safe mode scan but in all i have had a very good experience with this AV and like it very much

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The Twister is running smoothly for me, & scans at a decent speed.

No one has answered ChrisP's question re polymorphs. I am hopeful that AV-C will test this aspect of Twister some day soon.

On my set-up, Twister does NOT appear on my right-click menu for checking an individual file. QUESTION- Is this situation the same for other Twister users? Or did I miss something during install &/or configuration?

15. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

it's showing in mine i do not recall seeing that option during install.

16. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

I have right click scan,I would try to repair twister, if not reinstall.
    Badcompany.

17. bellgamin

@Hyperflow & Badcompany - Thanks for the replies! Your posts motivated me to take another look. Yes, Twister IS on my right-click menu. I missed it before because it merely uses its icon for identity, & does not give its name.

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have twister on the rightclick menu but it has stopped working for some reason. When I chose to scan via the right click nothing happens.

19. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Why do they state under "Registered" / "Virus Definition & Software Update"> "Unlimited or 1 year for free"?

http://www.filseclab.com/eng/help/faq_twister.htm

20. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

That is just an "example" screen shot.

21. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I think that their guide is obsolete. If you go to "renewal" , they have in deed a section which says 1 year license. BUT, the screenshots say "Twister AV 2005".

My guess, is that in 2005, they had different licence policy (1 year), while now they give lifetime. Tomorrow who knows...

Anyway, it would be nice if the Filseclab Representative could clear this out.

In any case, that's what my AV is showing, so it appears lifetime to me...

a.png

22. damian666

damian666 Registered Member

Hi All
    Do you need to still use a realtime spyware detection program with twister or is it good enough to just use an inbound and outbound firewall and router firewall with twister. I use spyware terminator with it at the moment but i am thinking of getting rid of spyware terminator,but do not know if Twisters spyware protection is realtime or very good
    Thank you

23. Blackcat

From the Help-File;

I have seen the Guard catch spyware/adware etc but as to its effectiveness this is unknown as with its overall detection abilities. Therefore, because of this lack of testing and if ST is light in real-time it may be a good idea to run the two together.
    However, with your two-way firewall, if you use a non-IE browser, increase the browsers security ( FireFox with noscript for example ) and you are careful of downloading any software containing spyware, using an AntiSpyware application on-demand only may be sufficient, irrespective of the Antivirus program used.

The choice is yours!

24. bellgamin

I am deferring purchase based partly on BC's assessments, plus I seek further information relative to Twister's heuristics, & polymorphic detection capabilities.

25. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It does say "scan for viruses..." next to the icon on mine.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.