Zonealarm Forcefield News - not good

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by SourMilk, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

2. interact

interact Registered Member

3. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I wonder if it blocks the exploits that drop the outerinfo malware that advertises ZoneAlarm through a dropped desktop shortcut .

I have been trying to get an answer on this for weeks and I am getting nowhere .

http://www.castlecops.com/postt222121.html (for those with access) .

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...rinfoads.com/reficon&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

That is the first case that I know of . The link at the top of that thread connects to a ZoneAlarm order page for me :

http://ad.outerinfoads.com/reficon?bid=4047&pid=1600&oid=5&fid=99001281

The icon file that the shortcut draws from is called ZoneAlarmIconUS.ico and there are many cases of it in HJT logs :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

While researching malware for MBAM I have seen the ZoneAlarm desktop icon drop 3 times in the last 4 months so its not common .

The question is why is outerinfo using malware to advertise ZoneAlarm ?

If anyone knows more about this I would like to hear it .

For those who do their own testing this sometimes drops from the xpre/xrun exploit drops .

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, apparently the testing done at infoworld is questionable...;)

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200822/1083/Review-ZoneAlarm-ForceField

Cheers,
    Fax

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. Newby

Newby Registered Member

Hi,

Would not the missed websites be harmless due to the virtualisation feature in Forcefield? So even when the block list failed you still would be protected?

Cheers N

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Interesting, but how does forcefield actually detect the malicious sites? Does it run it through the Kaspersky engine?

7. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Yes, that's the whole point of this virtual browser. Even if ZA ForceField fails to block these malicious websites or malware-loading ZAFF's virutal browser would be/is infected, not your real computer.

How do they do it?
    I don't know. But it's 100% effective.

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

So over the years this expert has tried out a few sandbox type apps and found them ineffective eh?

How long has it been since we last saw Greenborder and can anyone find any of this "experts" review of other sandbox type apps.

9. fax

fax Registered Member

As far as I understand its a combination of heuristic, blacklisting and signature based detections. But for the details we would need the input from CP/ZA developers... :)

No KAV signature is involved at least I am not aware of...

Cheers,
    Fax

10. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

Just use Artificial Dynamic's SafeSpace, the only virtualized/sandboxed browsing you'll ever need. And it's free.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Its explained in details in the article...
    Right or not different testing conditions resulted in completely different outcomes.

Who is right... you have to see it in your context

Cheers,
    Fax

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

We can only judge based on what they say. If you assume they're telling the truth, we can go on.
    The guy in your link argues a layered approach. This is not the test. The test is on Forcefield.

Using an unpatched system to test software is common in Wilders as well. :)

14. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, this is actually a test better reflecting the reality (or at least my reality). ZAFF is not meant to replace an antivirus nor replacing lack of minimum system maintenance.

If you do run by default a fully unpatched OS system and you are looking for a software protecting you than the test of infoworld could reflect better your conditions.

My point is that more a test is near to your conditions more is relevant for your assessment.

Cheers,
    Fax

Last edited: May 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.