AVIRA Premium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mllopes, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mllopes

mllopes Registered Member

Ok going to put it in another way then and i am sorry
    Does avira classic or premium use a local proxy like NOD32 V3?
    Thank you

Mário

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

avira classic & premium 7 dont have web scanner component yet... :D dont know about version 8

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I believe the suite has it. But I'm not 100% sure so correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Yes, the suite has it. :)

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes, web scanning (a.k.a. "http scanning") is available in Avira suite.

If you run a HIPS such as Threatfire alongside Avira-Free or Avira-premium, then you do NOT need web scanning. This fact was affirmed by Stefan Krutzhals of Avira's staff at HERE.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I don't think you need http scanning at all.

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

It does have its uses. I, for one, am always grateful for Kaspersky's HTTP scanner whenever I'm working with ASCII-encoded shellcode exploits. It's always nice to catch the exploit BEFORE it's rendered by IE6, which would cause my pagefile to grow to gigabyte-sized proportions and bring everything to an agonizingly harddrive-crunching halt.

8. Bunkhouse Buck

I use Firefox, Avira Premium, and have never had malware ever on my many boxes. If some "exploit" should slip by, I will simply restore a non-infected Acronis image if necessary. Would not use Kaspersky under any circumstances.

9. solcroft

Funny, I could say the same for Avira. But I believe this is just as relevant as your comment, aka not at all.

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Of course you deem yourself the "judge" of what is relevant. I don't think you are qualified to judge anything as evidenced by your largely inane comments and forum chief kibitzer. :thumbd:

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have a more open mind, I may use Kaspersky in the future. Just not at the moment. :D

12. solcroft

Just a little bit of common sense, my good man. Just a little bit of common sense.

Of course, it'd help your attacks as well if you didn't turn into a hypocrite right at the very next sentence.

13. xandros

xandros Registered Member

some times i use kaspersky internet security
    &
    some times i use avira premium

but i dont like avira security suite coz its make my computer very slow

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all:

As I've said repeatedly, focus on the posts, not the posters. Invariably, you defeat your objectives when the posts turn personal. It's neither needed nor productive for anyone.

Blue

15. berng

berng Registered Member

Boring. I'm using this and would never use the other, but he's using that and so forth.

Is this going to turn into another compare thread?:thumbd:

16. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

What is really important here is: Does an http scanner make you feel more secure? If it does, and you are content with using Avira, then grab a copy of the version 8 suite when it is available. That being said, I really see no need for an http scanner if your on-access scanner are configured properly. I personally use Sandboxie, and I love it. But there are other great HIPS apps, or virtualizations apps, out there that will protect you too. Just use whatever makes you comfortable which, despite our squabbling, in exactly what most of us here at Wilders have done.

17. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

KAV and Comodo don't get along. Keep that in mind. Avira and Comodo work extremely well together.

18. Bunkhouse Buck

You allow solcroft more leeway than anyone else to attack on a largely "personal" basis. My retorts have usually been after his attack, and he is virtually the only one that I have had this problem with at Wilder's. Unless solcroft is an alias for a Wilder's principal, why not disallow his attacks against other members?

19. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Does it matter? Geez a loo....Just knock if off!! Play nice now, else you both will have to go to timeout. :-*

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. ;)

In any event, I have always felt that B is superior to A -- I love B's shapely curves, whereas A looks like a silly old sawhorse, wot). o_O

But seriously folks, read again my quote of Stefan back at post #5. According to him, there are certain threats that an HTTP scanner protects against better than does an AV. Since I use a HIPS, I don't need an HTTP scanner (thus says the *egg-spurt*).

I have spoken.:ninja:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  21. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The "To all:" at the top of Blue's post meant just that, everyone who was posting personally directed comments. That includes solcroft as well as you or anyone else. Now let's get back to the actual thread topic.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think that comment should be: What is really important here is: Does an http scanner make you more secure?

Ditch the "feel". Feeling secure but not being so is not helpful. If it actually makes you more secure and you don't mind the browsing slowdown and the ruining of your speed tests then use it! But don't go by subjective "feelings"....geez.

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It may not be that simple....

Although rather long, have a read of The Psychology of Security by Bruce Schneier, with one of the closing statements being:
    Blue

24. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I might as well put a rubber duckie on my computer. There are so many potential threats that it is impossible to say what works and what does not. Not to mention over the top security utilities that have so many pop ups that you never know if anything is safe or bad. Honest to god, I haven't a clue if a web scanner really helps. Perhaps it does with IE. What about Firefox or Opera?

25. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

let's get down to business.
    I'm sorry to say that the local (Germany, Austria...) online shop conrad.de offers
    AntiVir Premium (3 PC) for 7,95 EURO (~12 USD) and
    Premium Security Suite (3 PC) for 9,95 EURO (~15 USD)
    Full version incl. upgrade. :-*

How to find: just go to w*w.conrad.de and under "Schnellsuche" on the left side, type "avira" and hit enter. Hope this is allowed to post.

And because of KAV and Antivir etc.
    I actually use KIS and NOD32, why not give Avira a try?
    I mean it's a solid AV and it's value for money :)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.