v3 Deployment info from ESET Tech Support

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Ritmo2k, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ritmo2k

Ritmo2k Registered Member

Finally got off the phone with ESET and confirmed what had to be checked/unchecked to get the config I needed and they have stated during a push deployment from the v2 RAC, you *can not* configure anymore options other then RA server and mirror server. Once deployed you then configure all the rest. In my test setup I have confirmed this to work as suggested.

Problem is this: How does one stop the v3 client thats being deployed on server's from scanning edb/mdb/logs and interfering with http traffic? If you deployed this client to an MS SQL server, you could destroy that SQL install completely as it installs, starts unmodified and then waits until you deploy a config. Scanning log files and db's is very bad practice, even by ESETs own reco!

:thumbd: Ok, who wasn't thinking in the dev teamo_O?:thumbd:

Whats a workaround? How can you deploy it safely on these type of machines?:doubt:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ERA supports pre-defining a desired configuration that will be applied during installation:

Attached Files:

• ra2.png
      ra2.png
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Ritmo2k

Ritmo2k Registered Member

Agree, I can only tell you the advice of the tech. I have found that some settings are ignored by the package during deployment (confirmed by the ESET Tech) and some settings are not even available in the 3.x client config editor (Also confirmed as a bug and will be fixed in an upcoming release).

Through obscure means I am finally able to get a deployment I want except for exceptions/exclusions. That still remains to be deployed correctly for me. I can however send a config task and it accepts it, but thats not acceptable. I need it to *start* correctly as the risk of it scanning something it shouldn't and compromising an application is a problem.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

By the way , we want the 609 build from your screenshot , too :D :thumb:

5. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

I had the same issue and had to push a new task with the new configuration file, specifically for exclusions.

In 2.7, it was possible to add a config file to the mirror and a client would pick that up automatically on the next update. Is this functionality still available somewhere?

Edited: It is not currently possible to add a config file to the V3 mirror.

Edited: If you use a config file exported from the GUI with the correct settings already defined, all the settings are applied with the initial push install. Using ERA, you can package this exported config file to customise any setting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  6. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

Hopefully these feature will be reinserted, it was really useful.

7. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

I agree that it was really useful but now I use ERA and can't understand how I ever lived without it. A simple task will push a new config file to all clients and let you know if the configuration was applied successfully.

I don't think supporting the older method is entirely necessary. I even use ERA for a Network I manage with only three clients.

8. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

But whats about the clients which can't connect to RA? (e.g. external user, firewall and network rules?) How to configure these clients without having the possibility by update server?

9. Devlin7

Devlin7 Registered Member

I recently upgraded from 2.7 to version 3. The new RA is causing no end of grief. It certainly doesnt push out much of my config when installing. Later, if I update the configuration it seems to add a little more. I have noticed things like the "Scan all files" option is set even though I only want certain extensions, the spashscreen remains enabled, & scheduled tasks don't appear.

It has been a time consuming update of our 250 odd machines as I need to confirm the config on each machine.

It is a sad day when you can't trust what Nod32 is doing but I still have faith.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.