Uninstalling ATI 11 Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RENisME, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RENisME

RENisME Registered Member

Folks,

So as not to crash my system, MCE2002 XP - would one of you be so kind in directing me how to properly uninstall ATI 11? I have not enabled secure zone but have heard many folks within this forum suggest that ATI 11 does not properly uninstall.

I need to move off of Acronis very quickly as I have other software to load that will conflict.

Thanks for your help with this.

Ren

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RENisME,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup software

Please note that you can use Windows 'add/remove programs' tool. You can also download the Windows CleanUp utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us, install and run it, select the Acronis product you are trying to uninstall and hit Remove.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Call up the list of windows services and stop the Acronis services. Load msconfig.exe and stop the Acronis processes, then run the Control Panel uninstal routine. Trust me, the uninstaller gets more stuff this way.

After running any uninstall or cleanup routine, delete the Directories (and files and subdirs therein):

C:\Progarm Files\Acronis
    C:\Progarm Files\Common Files\Acronis
    C:\Documents and Settings\Allusers\Application DAta\Acronis

and then search for all entries in the registry containing "acronis" and delete those. A registry tool helps. If you're nervous about doing anything with the registry then leave it alone, a couple hundred or so orphaned registry entries will be barely noticeable ;-) -- really, they are unliekly to matter at all unless you want to load another version of ATI.

Reboot.

4. Acronis Support

Hello RENisME and everyone interested,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Here is a detailed guide on manual uninstallation of Acronis True Image 11 Home:

This guide refers to Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista.

You should log in using account with administrative privileges to be able to perform all the steps.
    If Acronis True Image 11 Home is the only Acronis product installed on the machine, then steps 1 through 16 should be performed. If there are also other Acronis products installed, then steps 1 through 15 should be performed.

Please do the following to manually uninstall Acronis True Image 11 Home from Windows:

1. Remove Acronis Secure Zone if there is one using Acronis True Image interface (please note that Acronis Startup Recovery Manager will be deactivated automatically).

2. Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package, install and run it. Select Acronis True Image 11 Home and click Remove.

3. Run Windows Device Manager (Start –> Control Panel –> System –> Hardware –> Device Manager). Right-click on Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer and select "Uninstall" item.

4. Run Services applet (Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services) and stop the following services:

Acronis Scheduler2 Service
    Acronis Try And Decide Service

5. Run Task Manager (press Ctrl-Shift-Esc) and terminate the following processes if present:

Schedhlp.exe (Acronis Scheduler Helper)
    Schedul2.exe (Acronis Scheduler 2)
    TimounterMonitor.exe (Monitor for Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer)
    TrueImageMonitor.exe (Acronis True Image Monitor)
    TrueImageTryStartService.exe (Acronis True Image Try and Decide Service)
    TrueImage.exe (Acronis True Image application)

6. Download this file, execute it and issue the following command:

service uninstall

7. Open Windows Registry Editor (press Win-R and issue "regedit" command) and delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Fomatik
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Schedule2
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Trace
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\TrueImage
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\TrueImageHome
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\cdrecord2

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\Fomatik
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImage
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImageHome

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tifsfilter
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TryAndDecideService

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{C4E69DB9-E094-483e-B922-E7ADE65FB497}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.tib
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.tis
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\tibfile
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\tisfile

Delete the following registry values:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\{C539A15A-3AF9-4c92-B771-50CB78F5C751}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AcronisTimounterMonitor

8. Delete the string snapman from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

9. Delete strings snapman, timounter and tdrpman from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

10. Delete the following file:

\Windows\system32\acrotls.dll

11. Delete the following folders:

\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Drivers
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\BackupScripts
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Fomatik
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Trace
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome
    \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome (if there are locked files, then you will to reboot to remove this directory)

12. Delete the following folder in Windows XP (Windows 2000):

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome

13. Delete the following folders in Windows Vista:

\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImage
    \ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome

14. Delete program shortcuts from the desktop and Start menu.

15. Reboot the computer.

16. Delete the following folders and registry entries to be sure that all traces of the Acronis product are removed from the system:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis
    \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis
    \Program Files\Acronis
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis (Windows XP and Windows 2000)
    \ProgramData\Acronis (Windows Vista)

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. shieber

Now can you put the registry operation into a .reg file and then put commands to kill the prcess, stop the services, run the reg file and perform the directory/file deletions in a single file that users can run to do do a through uninstall?

6. como

como Registered Member

And put this uninstall routine and a link to the reg. file in a sticky, hopefully it will prevent a large number of repeat threads

7. dfenn_x384

dfenn_x384 Registered Member

i like that idea. could you pm me the file?

8. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio Registered Member

Unbelieveable!!!

I would be speechless except that this level of ridiculousness is unfortunately not unprecedented

9. shieber

It's the same rediculous thing you would go through for, to name just a few other programs, Nero, Zone Alarm, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Acrobat, and the list goes on and on. Installing and uninstalling in Windows is almost always a half-as--d operation at best. The Microsoft Installer (MSI) is a great idea that came out of the oven after only half the baking time had elapsed. It's one of thethings we live with to be in the Microsoft world of engineering.

10. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio Registered Member

Our software doesnt even write any crap to the registry. Hit uninstall and be done with it.

Of course as bad at ATI11 looks, norton is far worse

Just because the standard level of the bar is "totally suck" doesn't mean you can't rise above

11. rgmcree

rgmcree Registered Member

There is a problem here.
    After downloading Windows Installer Cleanup UTility Package, successfully, I tried to run it as per Item 2, above. Acronis was NOT listed in the list of products to uninstall. Now what?

CAn the other steps be done? Can you giude me through the registry changes, please? Never done that, and I know that;s very risky.

Thanks,

Richard

12. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

We are happy to tell you that Acronis Development Team has just created Acronis Clean Up Utility, which can help you to remove all the traces Acronis products leave. So please feel free to use it to completely remove Acronis True Image Home version 10.0 or 11.0 or / and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 from your computer. Please note that it can require to install DevCon and Msizap Microsoft utilities. Please be aware also that you need to delete Secure Zone yourself before running Acronis Clean Up Utility (it doesn't do this). Acronis Secure Zone can be removed in the way described in the Chapter 10.4 of the Acronis True Image 11.0 Home User's Guide (please see Chapter 9.4 if you use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home and it's User's Guide).

Rgmcree please use Acronis Clean Up Utility to finish Acronis True Image Home 11.0 removing.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

NB: Acronis CleanUp utility currently only supports Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, Acronis True Image 11 Home and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  13. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Nikita,
    Can you provide more suggested instructions on when this should be used?
    For example,
    when downloading to an older version?
    when backup locations can not be created which has required a reg edit removal?
    Should a normal add/remove un-install occur first.

You also have un-install instructions at this link. Are they still applicable?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1120006&postcount=4

I believe some additional instructions when to use the utility as a troubleshooting tool would be helpful.

Thanks.
    GroverH

14. Acronis Support

Hello GroverH and all interested,

It's really my careless mistake. I had to describe how to use the utility and I'm really sorry for not doing this in my previous post.

Now here is additional information about utility usage. Acronis Clean Up Utility should be used to remove Acronis True Image Home version 10.0 or 11.0 or / and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 from the computer if the software can't be uninstalled in a usual way using Add Or Remove Programs Windows applet. It can also be used after you have run uninstallation via Add Or Remove Programs, in this case more Acronis program's traces will be removed then Windows uninstaller deletes. As for using utility with the previous versions of the programs, it has not been tested with them (it was created for the mentioned Acronis applications), and it is safer to remove the program using instructions from the mentioned post. So if you wish to completely uninstall Acronis True Image Home version 10.0 or 11.0 or / and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 from the computer it is more preferable to use Acronis Clean Up Utility, not the instructions from this post, as Clean Up Utility does more than just deleting registry entries mentioned in the post.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

15. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Thank you Nikita for the additional clarification.
    One other question might be the status of any existing *.tib files. Are previous backups at risk when the cleanup is performed? I'm sure many will want to use this new utility as a troubleshooting tool and will want to retain any backup sets which have been retained.

Can you confirm the safety of these files when the cleanup utility is used?

16. Acronis Support

Hello GroverH and everyone interested,

All archives (except the ones that were in Acronis Secure Zone, if you choose to remove it) will remain untouched. The utility only removes the program itself.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

17. Brian Elias

Brian Elias Registered Member

Has anyone tried the Acronis Clean Up Utility? It rendered my Vista Business system unbootable.

18. Brian Elias

Second time it worked, although I had to download Devcon - which is not included with Vista.

19. Acronis Support

Hello Brian Elias,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that we have not heard about such problems of Acronis Clean Up Utility before. It was tested with Vista Business, and worked successfully. We would like to investigate this one with your assistance, if you have time for it of course.

Are you able to reproduce the problem? If yes, could you please clarify, at what stage does Windows boot process stop after using the utility? Are there any error messages? What is their text (if any)?

Please also create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post (before using the utility).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

20. Brian Elias

I restored my drive, and tried it again and everything worked fine. So I have not been able to reproduce the problem. I would say at this point I will just chalk it up to the Vista gremlins and let it go at that.
    - Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.