How is ghostwall??

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by omegakilo, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

Hi guys,
    I'm really into Ghostwall.
    This is the kind of firewall that I need.
    No need for user intervention, light etc.
    No wonder why it is called Ghsotwall, because you don't know if it is there or not.
    (I may be wrong with this...)
    Just one question...
    Does it provide enough security? Comparing to XP firewall?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day~

omegakilo

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It provides the same security as XP SP2 firewall (i.e. inbound protection and SPI filtering) with better features and more performance. I would say that GW is also more resistant to tampering (XP firewall is easily disabled with minor changes in the registry)

3. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

Thanks for your reply :)
    I heard Ghostwall is going to be integrated into GSS..
    Does that mean Ghostwall itself is going to disappear?
    Thanks in advance ;)

P.S how do you know if ghostwall is running or not? it seems like it doesn't
    have any process running...

regards
    omegakilo

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

there is ghostwall.exe running here (708kb) :)

5. lucas1985

I haven't heard anything like this. I don't think that Jason is going to kill this great little freebie.
    GW is only a driver and a GUI (which can be disabled)

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You're welcome. Had to post 2-3x about GW for you to give it a try though.

7. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

zapjb,
    Sorry, but it was only yesterday that i found out how to make my father's software work. Thanks for your recommendation

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

The current version of GhostWall is very reliable and works pretty well - so it won't be killed as such. However a version may be implemented into GSS soon enough. With the way GSS is setup now at the driver level it won't actually be too much strain compared to every other firewall I've tried (which kill network performance with low latency applications). The main reason I wrote GhostWall at the time was that the windows firewall had the best performance but was rather bare and hard to configure/use.

I must admit nearly half the emails I get are about GhostWall even though I provide minimal support for it since it is a freeware app. Nearly all of the feature requests for GW require items that Ghost Security Suite has already implemented and I'm not about to start a new branch to support a new freeware firewall. That said the need for a good, fast firewall is pretty high and a security suite wouldn't be complete without one. ;)

9. lucas1985

Great :D
    I'm not surprised. Ghostwall draws a lot of attention. It's so good.
    Looking forward for those new features :cool:

10. Leonardo_daVinci

Leonardo_daVinci Registered Member

Jason

I am a nOOb :oops: as far as firewalls goes (although I am evaluating to replace / enhance the existing XP SP2 firewall). Did a search but do not seem to be able to find an answer for my questions. :(

{ At present Sygate 5.6.3408 running and pretty happy. But no IPv6 :'( }

Re: Ghostwall: In order to put things into perspective with some other firewall that I am evaluating:
    I am wondering about two things: :doubt:
    1) will it work without conflicts with the XP - SP2 firewall (logging & backup in case the XP firewall is compromised) 2) does it filter IPv6 which is slowly gaining in importance?

Many thanks in advance
    Leonardo

11. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

It will probably "Work" with the XP SP2 firewall, but there is no real reason to run multiple firewalls as it just means more work for you. It doesn't filter IPv6 either, until that gains a lot more acceptance (and I or my beta testers have appropriate IPv6 equipment) it won't be added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.