Norton Antibot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AshG, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello dja2k,

You are very welcome. I am just doing my part to increase the awareness of Primary Response SafeConnect(PRSC) and Norton Antibot(NAB) as I feel that they are both underappreciated by the Wilders community and do not garner the same respect and admiration as the other two behavioral anti-malware applications(Cyberhawk and Prevx). For those of you who are new to both PRSC and NAB I have provided links to reviews/tests below. Keep in mind that these reviews/tests were performed on PRSC v2.1 with the exception of the last link below which tested the latest version of NAB. PRSC v2.2 and the the latest version of NAB have improved detection and cleaning abilities.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2071441,00.asp
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/issues/issue141.htm#Section_2.2
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164863&highlight=primary response
    http://membres.lycos.fr/nicmtests/Unhookers/unhooking_tests.htm
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2168908,00.asp

As far as setting up both PRSC and NAB, I highly recommend that one do the following to mimimize the chances for conflicts, false positives and system slowdowns. Under the "Advanced" tab, physically add all of your security executables(.exe) listed in the "Monitored" list to the "Allowed" list, provided that they have not been added automatically or they have not been marked as "trusted" with a single green square. In other words, nothing has to be done with your security executables if they are by default marked as "trusted" with a single green square in the "Monitored" list. Lastly, under the "Settings" tab do not select the "Automatically quarantine detected threats" option.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Thanks CogitoErgoSum for the explanations.

3. CogitoErgoSum

Hello lu_chin,

You are very welcome.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

4. CogitoErgoSum

FYI, the only functional difference that I can see between the latest versions of Primary Response SafeConnect v2.2 and Norton Antibot v1.0 is that the latter monitors 288 behaviors while the former monitors 274. It remains to be seen whether this difference in behaviors monitored(14) translates into an improvement in detection capabilities under real world conditions.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

5. toasale

toasale Registered Member

I betaed the NA and was not impressed then nor with the release.:thumbd:

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Would be nice to us to say why.

Gerard

7. CogitoErgoSum

It appears that the Norton Antibot beta monitors 288 behaviors and the NAB final release monitors 280 behaviors. Can anyone confirm this?

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

NAB final

Attached Files:

• nab.gif
      nab.gif
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
  9. CogitoErgoSum

Hello gerardwil,

Thanks for the confirmation. I stand corrected. As it now stands the latest version of NAB v1.0 monitors 280 behaviors in comparison with PRSC v2.2 which monitors 274 behaviors.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Now that's confused me, perhaps as I'm using pre-release I'm not having an update.

Attached Files:

• nab.JPG
      nab.JPG
      File size:
      60.7 KB
      Views:
  11. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Final version is 1.0.1310 and monitors 280 behaviors

12. Meriadoc

Which the pre-release is I think. Symantec chat says it is the amount of behaviours of the individual computer :D

13. grumbleduke

grumbleduke Registered Member

can i ask what problems you encountered? thanks!

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

NA = Not Applicable.

15. Meriadoc

Okay, now 280 behaviours are monitored.

In my test vm NAB did very well infact with DEP nothing got through.

Attached Files:

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

When Nortan had offered me the 50% discount for testing Norton Antibot one of our PC's would not have A2 with IDS or CyberHawk Pro.

Our low risk/user friendly PC only has A2 with IDS (a much more undervalued Behior Blocker than PRSC) and DefenseWall no Anti Virus, the other Avast + CyberHawk Pro + gesWall Pro (the high risk power user one).

17. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I tested trial version of Safeconnect against Firewall Leaktester AKLT. It failed all five tests. I sent them a ticket about this.

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

So is this a "highly intelligent" behavior blocker, which will only warn you about stuff if it thinks it might be malicious, just like Cyberhawk? Because to be honest, I think such apps are complete jokes. I also wonder which "280" behaviours it´s monitoring? :rolleyes:

19. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Relax, it is just a behavioral-based blacklisting tool. Its main purpose is not to protect, but, mainly, to compare behavioral steps with templates (signatures), those "280" is, I assume, the number of behavioral signatures. Definitely, it just can't block malware out with high efficiency, it is not their job. It is a job for sandboxes and whilelisting tools. Anyway, even if they try to include malware removal functionality into the product, its efficiency will be much lower that even anti-viruses has nowadays.

20. CogitoErgoSum

Hello Rasheed187,

Please take a look at the following links below for information regarding both Norton Antibot and Primary Response SafeConnect.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1051377&postcount=20
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1051583&postcount=23
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1052800&postcount=26

I would just like to take this opportunity to clearly state that both NAB and PRSC are not HIPS, but are designed and marketed as behavioral anti-malware(BAM) programs. What this means is that they will both look at "active" threats with a specific combination of behaviors to determine whether a particular program is malicious. They will not react to tests that test "individual" behaviors. For example, real world "live" malware often times will infect or compromise the host in multiple ways and exhibit certain characteristics. This goes a long way toward explaining why these apps. do not react to or fail certain tests.

All I can say is that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Different strokes for different folks. In my case, I consider behavioral anti-malware apps. such as NAB/PRSC, Cyberhawk and Prevx(maybe) as a second line of defense. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as the perfect security app.. There is no security panacea. Taking a look at the bigger scheme of things, it is my opinion that BAM's have a place in a layered defense strategy.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  21. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

A layered defense utilizing quality apps is my personal view regarding system security. I've been running PRSC for several months, and feel it is an absolutely worthwhile addition to my armada. Regardless of what other security programs I run, it hums along in full harmony with them. Never a glitch.

22. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

didnt know about this seem's kewl.... so installed it cant see a scan button or dont i?? MD

Attached Files:

23. maddawgz

NA is saying my Koi fish screensaver is threato_O Logs Keys? is this correct Exceutbale is packed is that a FP?

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s not a scanner, rather a behav blocker like CH.

25. maddawgz

Aha! Np tx think it got me Koi as FP thou!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.