Do you use search results security tool?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Jul 15, 2007.

?

Which free search engine results rating tool(s) do you use?

1. SiteAdvisor

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. TrendProtect

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Trustwatch

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. LinkScanner Lite

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Scandoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Finjan

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Two or more (vote for each above and please post which)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (please post which)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. None

36 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Absolutly.

Actually LSP has updates for exploits(exploit detections) and sites known for malware (malsite detections)
    Not that it will catch all sites that have malware on them, but it helps.

Always a good idea after downloading anything before running.

Jeez make up your mind. :rolleyes: :D

Seriously,have you tried LSP or are you baseing your opions on what you have read ?

Personaly I have used it for quite some time and I do recommend it.
    It adds some good protection to the layered approach. :thumb:

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't use any of these tools, just rely on my own judgement and instincts pretty much, never let me down yet...

3. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

While I do not use a free search engine results rating tool, I do use a paid one in the form of LinkScanner Pro since 6/06. Since my primary web browser is Opera, I do not use its SearchShield feature as it is not yet compatible. On the other hand, to the best of my knowledge, in addition to Internet Explorer and Firefox, LSP is the first real-time url scanner that blocks both web sites and exploits that is compatible with Opera. The same can not be said of Haute Secure which is its closest competitor. Please see the following link for other reasons why I use LSP:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1040594&postcount=14

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have SiteAdvisor but I mainly use the one in opera 9.22

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Voted "none", because I don't need it in a frozen snapshot, which removes any change during reboot. That's the weakness of all infections, they "change" your harddisk and FDISR removes "changes", the perfect cure for all kinds of infections. :)

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

None. I will go where I choose to go on the Web and count on common sense (some luck) and my other defenses. Do not like the idea of someone else`s opinion always influencing me in my actions.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

At the end of the day, I guess it depends where you go and what you do to get "infected" in the first place. :)

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I don't use any of the tools, but I do my searching at the Scandoo.com website and sometimes enter an unfamiliar site name at SiteAdvisor. My AV has an http filter, everything on my machine is up to date and I use FF with NoScript. My other protections should 'catch' anything else, and if not, Sandboxie should contain it. I don't feel the need to run any other tools in my browser except for NoScript and AdBlockPlus. Oops, forgot my MVPS hosts file.

If I don't use the browser tools, can I still vote for the 2 mentioned site I use?

Cheers ipeace

9. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Stealth by design malware (type II) will then be your greatest nightmare. They only work in memory leaving no file traces. It's okay that they are removed on boot, because they will reinfect again and again...

10. ErikAlbert

And how do I remove these ?

11. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

If they are able to re-infect then there must be an executable stored somewhere.

@ ErikAlbert. Depending on the source of reinfection, pulling the mobo battery for several minutes should effectively kill it off. Now, if somehow it has flashed itself to your BIOS, (have heard that vector of attack may be on the horizon) then all bets are off.

12. ErikAlbert

I have Faronics Anti-Executable to kill unauthorized objects.
    But I don't think I have something against BIOS. If all bets are off, then it's dangerous for everybody, just like hardware viruses.

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I use Trustwatch, but rarely or not at all.

14. Leonardo_daVinci

Leonardo_daVinci Registered Member

If you adopt safe browing habits then there is little need for these tools. Either start up a seperate and isolated environment under VMware or use one of it's poor cousins e.g. sandboxie.

Leonardo

15. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Most of the time I browse safe, but I do browse on the Dark side too. For that I have Sanboxie and Prevx 2.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My Defense Shield makes URL alerter add-ons useless. Heck, i've tried a few times in the past to attract Gromozon variants but their web page ignored my system. :D

Search Results security can also show false positives and i don't need mis-information coming from a BHO or other so-called URL warning tool. You been in this long enough theres no need to panic, there are simply too many shields available where if anything did try to intrude they would only land to your folder, they can't activate with the right defenses such as Anti-Exe and other HIPS/Behavioral Shields. They are far more formidable. LoL

17. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Untrue. See Joanna's presentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.