How to report BSOD problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, May 30, 2007.

1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you have come across a problem with BSOD after installing ESS beta, please create a full memory dump as follows:

1. go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - System
    2. on the Advanced tab, click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
    3. from the drop-down menu select "Complete memory dump"
    4. click OK to confirm settings and close the window

5. reproduce BSOD
    During BSOD, a full memory dump will be written to the file c:\windows\memory.dmp (its size will depend on the amount of the installed oper. memory).

6. zip the memory dump
    After the computer restart, zip the memory dump. To make it clear what case the dump belongs to, name it as DUMPMMDD_email where MM is the current month, DD is the current day and email is the email you will use to report the issue to tech support. Example:
    DUMP0530_marcos[at]eset_com.zip

7. upload the dump to ftp server
    Upload zipped dump to an ftp server (if you don't have one at your disposal, drop me a PM)

8. email tech support
    Finally, notify the tech support by dropping an email to betasupport[at]eset.com with a short description of the problem, or better with an url to the relevant thread at Wilders' which contains more background information about the case. Please send it from the same email address as you used in the dump name so that it's possible to identify the dumps for future reference.

Attached Files:

2. 7TWO

7TWO Registered Member

Hey people,
    if you are experienced with BSOD and this bluescreen of death happens first of all update drivers! (It will not be effective if BSOD is caused by ESS - Eset Smart Security - part driver .. it is TDI or something)

I got BSOD for 5+ times per day with NDIS.SYS. It is the network windows core component. It says that something is wrong with network adapter and probably is at part of network driver.

Try to find newest drivers! It can handle lot of time but at result You will be laughing like me :)

It works for a 3/4 a day without crash now at max network activity load. So i am laughing :)

Enjoy.

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

A new adapter with an updated driver solved my problem. Perhaps ESET can look into why the WPN111 from Netgear didn't work even when I used the Vista installation package.

4. billybob666

billybob666 Registered Member

Ive finally figured out what causes my random reboots, it is the beta1b that causes it. Installed it after suffering problems with a virus definition update and did a manual update before rebooting and the kernel error went away, now within 30mins 3 times PC rebooted all by itself with no bsod or anything, it was like i hit the reset switch but windows not aware of it so no errors to send. Installed a different firewall and AV and no reboots since, so reluctantly I will either wait for beta2 or final before trying again. I understand betas are unstable but this should never have happened before releasing it to me and other joe publics.

5. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

My PC still freezes with 1b, the same happend with 1 and 1a.

6. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

there's something you can do when the pc freezes which might help the development.
    This is generating a complete memory dump yourself by editing the corresponding key: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244139

normally even when frozen the pc should react to that command and give you the dump

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.