Zorin OS 3 Release Candidate released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by korben, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korben

korben Registered Member

The Zorin OS Team is pleased to announce that the Zorin OS 3 Release Candidate is officially released. Now you can look into the near future of Zorin OS. The Zorin OS 3 Release Candidate is made to get your feedback on what we have created for you so far. This is to make sure that the final product will be as enjoyable to use as possible. Before downloading and installing please read the release notes. You can download the iso file here. The Release Candidate is only available in a 32 bit version but the final release will be available in 64 bit as well.

We hope you will enjoy using Zorin OS 3 RC and the final Zorin OS 3 release which will be available in early June.

Best regards,
    The Zorin OS Team

I run Zorin 2 on VM and like it very much.

anyone else excited?

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

3. korben

korben Registered Member

The Zorin OS Team are very pleased to announce that Zorin OS 3 is now officially released. This is a groundbreaking new release. For those who have not used the Release Candidate some new features include the astonishing new Look Changer program which lets you switch easily between multiple user interfaces (Windows 7, Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 and Linux's GNOME). Some other features include the new "Social from the Start" initiative which lets you connect with your social networks quickly from the desktop, iPod and iPhone support in the music player as well as the Ubuntu One Music Store, lots of redesigned artwork, an installer slideshow which lets you know more about Zorin OS while it is installing, dramatically improved hardware support, performance improvements and much much more. You can read in detail what's new in the Release Notes. As usual, Zorin OS 3 is available in 5 different flavours: Zorin OS Core and Educational which are available to download from here for free, and Zorin OS Gaming, Multimedia and Ultimate which can be purchased from the Store page.

We hope you will enjoy using Zorin OS 3.

Best regards,
    The Zorin OS Team
    The Zorin OS Team

Grab it while it's hot ;)

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Yeah, I like Zorin, too. It's suppose to remind you of Windows 7...which it does to a degree. It's based on Lucid (10.04) but runs the updated kernel (2.6.32-22). I put it on my main Desktop (which my wife uses ALL THE TIME!!!!o_O ), which has plenty of power, and it runs quite nicely. Lots of eye-candy. It originates from Ireland. I like it so much I'm thinking of putting it on my Lenovo (which I'm forced to use ALL THE TIME...not that I'm bitter).

Some negatives are...it installs ubiquity plus a few other things that should have been removed during the install. It also installs both Totem (with the bad and ugly codecs) and VLC. A bit redundant, IMHO. I went to Synaptic after the install and removed everything I really don't need nor will ever use. Like Mrk, I really don't have any friends (;)) so I too removed all those social networking applications and their dependencies.

The download size is 1067 mbs (32 bit) and 1098 mbs (64 bit).

I also tried out ZenWalk 6.4 Gnome yesterday evening as well but all I can say is the ZenWalk team shouldn't have released it. There's lots of bugs and it's not ready for prime-time. I had one problem after another. I'm very disappointed. I actually installed it twice since I'm a strong believer in giving something a second chance....same result.

Later...

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Is there a live CD/DVD?

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The disk they have is LIVE by default. They don't have any other versions there, best of all Zorin can ease the transition of long time Windows user into Linux and since its based on Ubuntu, all updates and issues would be kept up to date on regular basis.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, thanks linuxforall. I will have to try it soon...

8. korben

korben Registered Member

One thing...I got it on my Vbox so it may work in reality..

the so-called look changer - does it work for you guys?

I change the look to say XP, log out and no changes whatsoever...

or does it work when you pay?

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The look changer doesn't work in vbox but works fine when you install it.

10. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

Trying it out now, not a bad distro so far...

11. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

This sounds like something I would want to try. I get a error when I click on either of the two links steve161 put up. Here is the error (I'm using firefox 3.6)

_HST_cntval="Initializing..";chfh(_HST_cntval);

I was looking for the Zorin OS 3 Live DVD.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  12. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

Was Having the same problem as well,Using opera 10.54 and 10.60beta But I found the download links on softpedia.
    Currently running it in my VM,and loving it at the moment.

13. korben

korben Registered Member

how are you doing with Z 3.0? e.g. when cmpared with Z 2.0?

14. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

Ran It in vmware workstation.
    Look changer works for me(but only 3 choices it gives: window 7,linux(Gnome) and Windows xp).

15. korben

korben Registered Member

Mrkvonic, not interested in reviewing it? ;)

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi, just got back from some extensive suntanning.

Yup, very interested - in fact, I dun it already, up in about 2 weeks ...

Mrk

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Good to see you back, was getting concerned. :)

18. korben

korben Registered Member

Mrk is here and has no fear! great holy great - awaiting the link...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.