Zone Log - Zone Alarm log analyzer install Q.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JimPivonka, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimPivonka

JimPivonka Registered Member

I am a long time free Zone Alarm user, from "back in the day" when I kept track of what was up with such things as firewalls. I also used the Zone Log database and analysis tool to help me check what was going on with the firewall. Recently I noted that the DBase had grown to near 50Mbytes. Rather than use its internal tool to purge the DBase I just uninstalled the program.

Now I have reinstalled it. I note two items of interest in doing so:

1) I had to shut down and restart my system so that a special (and specially named) .exe could run to "register" some items. The EXE was named "is-8ELKK.exe" and it was accompanied by another file, is-8ELKK.lst which had these contents:

* List of files to be registered on the next reboot. DO NOT EDIT! *

D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.dll
    [t]D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO2535.tlb
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\Msflxgrd.ocx
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\Mscomct2.ocx
    E:\Program Files\ZoneLog\HexLookup.dll
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\MSINET.OCX
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\MSMAPI32.OCX
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\MSWINSCK.OCX

This process may be benign and intended only to avoid problems which may occur when some of these programs are not registered or the registration is not associated with the Zone Log program. Can anyone confirm this, or give me additional information about the purpose of this "registration" process?

The second point of interest is that the program requires
    the Visual Basic (VB) 6 runtime files which are available separately from here (1Mb) if you don't have them already (you need to run this file after download to install the VB files). ​

The note does not indicate how I might determine whether or not the VB6 runtime files are already installed. I'd appreciate any help I can get with that, as well as comments on the security implications of that process.

I am running Windows XP, SP1, on a 1.8mhz Dell with 1.5Mb memory and little enough disk space that I have had to compress old files to keep the OS running. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.