Zone alarm pro wouldn't allow

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Snooker, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snooker

Snooker Registered Member

Hi ... I just got this zone alarm pro version few days ago and now i am noticing that my spyblocker isn't working correctly it was before i had zone alarm .... First i was having problem with spyblocker not booting up but it seem to be working now ( i play around with some of the setting ) Now for how long this will go only time will tell but zone alarm pro is still not allowing me to recieve update from my spyblocker , It keeps saying when i try out the update for my spyblocker that the server is busy or not connected ... I do know its the zone alarm causing this because when i disable zone alarm my update works just fine ... So my question is there a way to fix this problem ... Any help most appreicated :) ...

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A few questions for clarification...

You said you just got "this zone alarm pro version" a few days ago... Does that mean you had Zone Alarm already and upgraded, or is this a total new install of Zone Alarm?

Are all forms of logging and alerts enabled in ZAP currently? And if so, are there any events being logged while trying to run the update program?

There are many possible reasons why a program might be getting blocked, but it varies depending upon the specifics of your situation. It could be that the ZAP configuration is corrupt, or the program settings somehow got mis-configured, or that the updater program simply needs to be removed from the ZAP Programs list, then run again to have ZAP rediscover and revalidate it and your access permissions.

3. Snooker

Hi ... Yes this is a new install... All i know is that in the program control area access and server is allow ... Now the other area ( Alerts and Logs ) i am not sure what to do there but i will say that what i do see there is 3 things for spyblocker and they are allowed.. I am not sure what to do with your question here maybe if you could explain a little more what to do ... Thanks for your help

Are all forms of logging and alerts enabled in ZAP currently? And if so, are there any events being logged while trying to run the update program?

4. LowWaterMark

Well, if it's a new and clean install of ZAP, then it may not be database corruption, but let's keep that for later if nothing else turns up.

What I meant by that sentence you quoted is that you should have all forms of logging enabled (as shown in the image below), and when you attempt to run the updater that is failing, you should look in the ZAP "Alerts & Logs" panel > "Log Viewer" tab and see if there are corresponding messages there saying that the program was blocked from accessing the Internet.

So, check to see if all forms of logging are checked, if not then set them all. Then try to run the updater. After it fails, flip to the Log Viewer page in ZAP and look for messages in there related to that specific program being blocked, or even messages right at the same time about incoming packets being blocked - they might be related to why the program isn't able to update right.

Attached Files:

5. Snooker

Hi ... Okay i did as you suggested and nothing shown up at all in the log viewer....

6. LowWaterMark

You are getting other logged events though, correct? High or Medium level alerts about various blocked probes or such? Or are you getting no logged events at all?

It's disturbing that there are no block messages that correspond to the same time that you attempt to run the updater program, and yet the updater doesn't connect out.

There are so many different things that could be the problem and there are lots of things to try unfortunately in order to diagnose the problem, so it may take time to figure out. The first and easiest thing to try is to remove the program entry (whatever program that updater program is) from ZAP's Program list. Just go into ZAP > Program Control > Program (list) > right-click on that program and select Remove from the menu.

When you run the updater again, ZAP should see it as if for the first time and give you a chance to approve it again. This might allow it to work properly.

7. Snooker

Hi ... Okay i did try out the log viewer again this time it did shown something and i gave access to it and still it didn't work ... Also i did try what you said to remove and see whether it will work well i did get the pop up zap asking for permission i gave it access , I even when to the program control to make sure that i have the green check mark on spyblocker it is there on both access and server still not able to get the updater to work ... I even had the pop up from zap for my updater i gave it access and it still doesn't work ... I should mention in the progran control under program i don't see my spyblocker updater there ... Can it be added o_O

8. LowWaterMark

This seems a little contradictory... What exactly did the pop up say (what program name)? If it listed the program by its name in the popup alert, and you clicked to allow it, then that same program should be listed in the Programs list now. If it isn't listed, then we come back again to the possibility of corruption in the zone alarm database.

Since this is a new installation, it might just be best to refresh the ZAP database and configure everything fresh just to be sure something isn't messed up. The refresh operation will remove all previous configurations and set you back to a default installation, which is probably what we need to try first.

Basically, to refresh the ZAP database you: 1. shutdown ZAP; 2. delete all files from the \Windows\Internet Logs\ folder (that's a Zone Alarm folder and the ZAP logs and databases are stored in there); 3. Start up ZAP again and reenter all custom settings (like sites listed in the Trusted Zone); and 4. run each Internet accessing program and approve them one by one.

See these instructions from Zone Labs on the refresh operation:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zapIssuesFAQ.jsp#10issues

9. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi LowWaterMark,

Relevant thread from the Spyblocker forums.

http://spyblocker-software.com/IPB/index.php?showtopic=651

10. Snooker

Hi ... This is driving me crazy ... What i mean by pop up zap pop up is asking to give access for my updater and i did .... but it doesn't show up in the program control under program though strange yes :doubt: only spyblocker is listed not the updater... Okay i did what you said deleted the internet logs too still no hope ... I am starting to believe it can not work with ZONE ALARM PRO ... I even when to asking the tech support site for zap as well http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=access&message.id=6954 look under Access Issues

NO HOPE !!!! OR IS THERE o_O

- Fixed link by adding URL tags to it - LWM

11. LowWaterMark

Not every system is compatible with certain software... That's just the way it is sometimes. But, since you've posted in the Zone Alarm forum, that's probably the best place to look for an answer since this does not seem to be a typical problem.

Best of luck!

12. Snooker

Thanks so much LowWaterMark for your help ... i guess your right

13. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Hi Snooker. Why don't you try adding your updater manually, Program Comtrol>Program tab. Click "Add" at bottom of page.

14. Snooker

Hi... I did add it manaully but it still not allowing it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.