ZAP/ZASS 7.0.302.000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Perman, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: For ZA pro alone, has it had any significant improvements or anything new worth mentioning vs. v.6.5.737 ?:)

2. RAV

RAV Registered Member

Running this build of ZA Antivirus 7 and it seems to be running well. Seems like a pretty good deal to me to get ZA firewall along with the Kaspersky engine AV for only $20. It has all the features I need and the AV even has extended database support. I had been running NOD32 and ZAAS but my NOD32 is about to expire so I think I will change from the ZA with Antispyware to the one with AV. I will compliment it with the free Windows Defender since I use Firefox and spyware has been a non-issue with me for quite some time now.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

No they don't!

The triple FW refers to blocking incomimng and outgoing connections together with a third element - the Operating System FW - which is an IDS or behaviour blocking feature. It prevents access to physical memory, spawning of processes by other processes with lower priviledges etc. etc. Check the user manual for further details.

BTW - to the person who tested with Eicar and found it detected with a scan but not realtime - KAV, by default, does not scan within archives realtime.

4. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Hi,

I installed ZASS on another pc here to see how it performs. I can't see a http scanner option tho. Kav has a http scanner.. am I missing something ?

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

KAV 6 has a web-shield, but this feature is not included with the ZASS version.

6. Banshee

Ok, Thanks:thumb:

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

is anybody else experiencing slow start-ups with ZASS?

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Vista support was not mentioned in the beta release notes. I would suspect that Vista is still not yet supported in the final release.

9. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I am not impressed at all with this beta. Slow system startups creates a very bad impression.
    Instead of this security suite, i would go with KAV 6.0 and zonealarm pro 5.5 which was excellent.

10. nicknicknick

nicknicknick Registered Member

Do you also have a problem with ZLCLIENT.EXE not properly shutting down?

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I don´t think that ZA have a IDS. Their "OS firewall" isn´t different from any firewall that have protection against tampering.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i thought it was worth asking. perhaps at the end of this month there will be something?

13. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

OK, I've had ZAAV 7.0.302.000 running for a day and a half. For me, quick bootups and shutdowns. The AV component is self updating every three hours without troubles. I've had no funky interaction difficulties with any of my programs, net accessible or otherwise. So far the only gripe that I have is the fact that I can't fine tune the AV component as I'd like. At the risk of eating my words later, it looks like this release may be the best since the 5.5xx series.

14. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I assume that ZAlarm is Chargeing for this update. I would wait a few weeks before I jump right in to avoid the disasters that others have had with new ZoneAlarm products in the past. That being said if the main reason someone wants to update this suite is to use Kapersky why not look at some of the deals offered by major retailers( at least in the USA ) & buy KIS for zero. I just saw some of these ads this week. I still think that ZAlarm Pro is an outstanding product as a firewall. The triple defense does a really nice job of advising you of Software doing something to your computer . I really don't know if its HIPS but it does the job for me. 6.5 did have a less than stellar Spyware detection engine & I think the CA engine was only ok. If someone really wants to use Kapersky than why use a rebranded version ( and changed?) The firewall however was unquestionably Superior to many others & that what ZAlarm is known for! So I would wait before I changed.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Woody777 - If you are upgrading from a previous version that you have a registration for, the upgrade to ver. 7 is free. Of course if you are doing a new installation of 7 it'll be the going rate. :)

16. Woody777

Ok I can probably get the update. However I do use NOD32. Do you think I can turn off Kapersky & use NOD 32?

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yeah you can disable the AV and use NOD32, but I can't see paying for ZAP and then turning half of it off. I would use the free ZA and NOD. The free is good. ( If the new version is) :D

18. Banshee

Oh well, I had it on my other pc for 1 hour or so.I ditched it.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Woody777 - I found that Comodo and NOD work well together.:D

20. Woody777

I can understand your point of view but I really like the triple defense firewall & the free version doesn't have that nor does it have a bunch of other things that the pro version has. The spyware portion probably also has been improved. Have you used KAV? I assume the antivirus is just as good but does it stop spyware? I suppose I could try it & find out. I've used NOD32 for years & am very happy with it. I don't mind paying for the best products no matter what they are. There are sure a bunch of people in this forum who really like KAV I admit but sometimes changeing something that works results in complications.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As far as the anti spyware goes, I'll bet you have at least 2 anti spyware apps on your pc now. The ZA anti spyware is probably not as good as those. It wasn't when I used it. It probably only caught 2 or 3 data miners in the few years I used it. I'm not familiar with KAV, but it seems to be a good AV. However, we know that NOD32 is a great one already, and it's already on your pc. What exactly is the triple in triple defense? I used the free version for a few years before I went to ZASS, and it did the job as well I thought.
    Not to change the subject, but Comodo is working on a new version with HIPS and sandbox. I can't imagine it getting any better than it is.

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@Woody777 - ZAP does not have teh antivirus component, so theres nothing to turn off.

@twl845 - "triple" refers to the following aspects of ZA: inbound protection, outbound protection, and anti-leak (also called OSFirewall in ZA).

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

WSfuser - Thanks. Then it's just like Comodo. (free)

24. Woody777

I do actually have the ZA Suite. If I did abandon ZA I would probably use Sygate Pro with SSM & spyware terminator. I've never tried Comodo. It probably would work also but there would be a learning curve.

25. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I've been very happy with the latest version of Zone Alarm Security Suite (6.5.737.000). However, I am looking forward to the new version 7. I've read this thread and there seems to be an unanswered question about compatibilty with Vista. I don't know if this will answer the question, exactly, but here is some information on the Zone Labs site:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/vista.jsp?lid=home_vista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.