ZAAS or SAS?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wordward, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

No verses thread here, but for 19.95 which program would give more bang for the buck? I think SuperAntiSpyware may well be one of the best for On Demand detection. However for Real Time protection, I think ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware's claim to protect your PC down to the core sounds convincing. Tough decision, and again I am only asking the "opinions" of any experts or users of these programs which one they feel "may" offer the most all around protection. Please don't let the thread get closed by bickering.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

If you have any intent on going to Vista, be aware that ZAAS is not yet Vista-ready in GA form.

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

ZAAS pros:

1) bundled with a firewall (could be a con)

ZAAS cons:

1) works only on XP/2000
    2) 1yr. updates

SAS pros:

1) lifetime updates
    2) lightning fast support
    3) frequent updates
    4) excellent real-time protection
    5) new v4.0 uses ~ 500kb of memory, direct disk scanning, and much more
    6) works on 98 and up
    7) co-exists with other AV's in real-time

SAS cons:

none :D

4. jtcst

jtcst Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware ...:thumb:

• not bloated
    • easy to use
    • doesn't slow down computer
    • free, top notch support
    • frequent updates
    • effective
    • and if you come across something that SAS can't remove, you can run a diagnostic tool which practically guarantees removal

5. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

They are 2 different products in my eyes. One is a firewall with a spyware scanner and one is a spyware scanner. Do you want a firewall or do you want a spyware scanner?

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I think from what I have read here so far, it alsready convinces me that SuperAntiSpyware is the more reasonable choice here. I am behind a router firewall and so I most likely don't need a software firewall, especially with ThreatFire and of course SAS running. Thanks everyone. Now all i have to do is find the needed cash to buy it. LOL.

7. Dieselman

Ok so now your no longer gonna use a software firewall after using Comodo and ZAAS. I hardware firewall stops inbounds. A software firewall stops outbounds. You do need both.

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

'Need' is a bit strong here :p

9. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

You don't need both. :p

10. Dieselman

Quoted from Matousec. - Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I'm connected to a Home Network and have the added protection of Windows Firewall along with the SPI router firewall and TF and SAS. I may just install the Firewall Component of my AVG Internet Security Suite again for outbound. (Yes I switched back to AVG from Avast as my 512MB PC seems faster. LOL.)I don't worry about leaktests and I would think AVG would at least alert me to malware trying to connect out. Of course the malware has to get in first and well I have TF and SAS sooooo.

12. Dieselman

Here you go again changing your security around again. Stick with a good firewall and AV and you will be fine. Keep uninstalling and reinstalling ever app out there your gonna run into problems.

13. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Doesn't really do it for me :p.

Anyway an outbound firewall doesn't protect against 'leaks'. It is the behavior blocking features in some personal firewalls that tries to prevent 'leaks'. Additionally, all leaks are just proof of concept and very little real life malware actually use these techniques.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I agree with you about leak tests huangker. I am however beginning to wonder if ZAAS's Real Time Protection may not be better than SAS's. Like leak tests I don't put too much faith in the various magazines tests either. But ZAAS did show better RT protection results in a recent PC magazine test than SAS did. ZAAS's Triple Defense Firewall is proven to be good at stopping malware and the ZA website explains what and how it does this, much better than SAS' site or Nick does. For the same price of 19.95 it can be argued you get more for your dollar with ZAAS than SAS, but than again the combination of SAS's exellent customer service and virtually problem free program may more than compensate for any small RT protection advantages ZAAS may or may not have.

15. Dieselman

ZAAS main feature is the firewall. Not the spyware scanner. Using ZAAS is a fine just use SAS free on demand. SAS is spyware scanner and not firewall. If you want to spend the money on SAS then you still need a firewall. If you want a firewall then use ZAAS and only use SAS as a scanner. Its that simple.

16. fce

fce Registered Member

none.

if you got AV and FW installed you don't need this marketing software! :D

17. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I agree with the observation on each product's focus. What do you want? ZAAS is built on their firewall. There is a behavior blocker and av scanner included. SAS Pro is just an AS with real time protection.

18. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Matousec doesn't decide what you need. ;)
    The only security I've been running for weeks is a router and common sense. I'm not a dangerous surfer, so there's no need for slow down or popups.

19. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I have been using ZAAS since the free offer (Nov. 2007). I was a previous ZA Pro user before that.

In my opinion ZA is probably the easiest and straightforward firewall out there. All the information can be found without any effort and I don't have to hunt down a dozen menus to find something.

I just wish that ZA would address the leak tests and some of the keylogger tests (AKLT).

20. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I find ZAAV to be a better choice for Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.