ZA Free vs Comodo Pro Free.....

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bgfalconboy, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

I'm currently using ZA Free firewall. I've had few problems with it, though was wondering how Comodo stacks up as a free firewall. Is considered a step better at all than ZA's free firewall?

2. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

Not just one step... Far better!

3. bgfalconboy

Really? So is it the consensus best free firewall out there at the moment? I may have to take the plunge. I guess I could just download Comodo disable ZA and try it out and if I don't like it disable it and enable ZA again. On thing would be nice to know is , does it have any issues with Spyware Blaster or Spybot S&D latest version 1.5.0.9?

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I hope you get your answers quickly....this verses that is no longer allowed.

I have used both in the past and while there maybe nothing wrong with either. Those two are not for me.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Comodo has no issues I'm aware of. I installed it after uninstalling ZA, and glad I did. I'm not sure, but disabling ZA might not be good enough. Their vsmon could be a problem when you try to install Comodo. I could be wrong, so maybe someone else could advise also on that. You might have to do a clean uninstall. Follow the instructions exactly if you do.

6. 2good

2good Guest

first time posting this great forum, I could tell you I was a fan of ZA for years but the firewall always had the same old problem,true vector,now I have 3.0 comodo beta and let me tell you its much better than ZA,very stable,low resources, having 2 firewall at the same time is not a good idea, better off uninstalling ZA run .

good luck:thumb: :thumb:

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The two are very different. I prefer Comodo. If its leak test performance you are after, Comodo is the one. The paid version of ZA is a first class leak stopper too, but the free one lacks some features that contribute to this result. There are blogs all over the place that mention this.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Why don't you just leave it to the mods to decide what to do.

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with product A vs. product B in my opinion. That seems to be what Wilders is all about - comparing software.

Comodo Firewall is comparable to the pay version of ZoneAlarm. If you are comparing the free version of ZoneAlarm to Comodo Firewall then Comodo provides more protection features. See www.matousec.com and www.firewalleaktester.com

10. bgfalconboy

11. kenshi

kenshi Registered Member

Comodo is a full-featured product that is free. ZA free is a limited-featured product. If you want the full-featured product, you are going to have to pay for it.

12. bgfalconboy

Ok, I understand. Sorry for the versus thing , I didn't realize that was so frowned upon as I don't frequent this site often enough. I'll certainly give Comodo a try sometime.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Re: ZA Free vs Comodo Pro Free, or Jetico....

Jetico does quite well on leak tests I think, so it may be better than ZA Free in that regard. Jetico is nice, just a little odd in it's interface/gui and takes more time to get the rules set up etc. ZA and Comodo make things a little easier to configure...

14. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Jetico 1 has excellent outbound protection. It is so good it may, in the beginning, push you over the edge with pop-ups. There are many good threads on Wilder's that will explain how it works and how to make rules for it.

Edit: It may be time to change my avatar again. Done.

15. bgfalconboy

Re: ZA Free vs Comodo Pro Free, or Jetico....

Well, I'm certainly no genius when it comes to these things like the rest of you , so ease of configuration makes things better for me.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

ZA Free is definitely the easiest.. But the others will give better outbound protection, so it just depends on what you want and need. Comodo should be easier than Jetico. So perhaps that's your best bet and worth a try.... If it doesn't work out, you can always return to ZA.

17. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Comodo isn't too difficult to set up.
    You can use the learning mode to start with.

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I got no problems either way.

I do note, I don't see a consistant policy. :doubt:

I will say no more on this. ;)

20. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Unless the full-features firewall you are using happens to be Comodo, which is free :D

21. bgfalconboy

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You want to do a clean uninstall. The instructions in your link don't seem to have a few important steps for a clean uninstall. If you go to the ZA forum and look at the sticky posts at the top of the page, the good instructions should still be there. They were written by Guru Slyfox. If you follow the instructions to the letter, you will uninstall successfully. I did. I uninstalled ZASS quite a while ago, but I recall that if you don't get everything out during the clean uninstall, installing something else might be problematic.

23. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Comodo may be full featured in the sense that key performance related features have not been crippled , but in another sense it is not. For example. there is no rules backup built into the program. Edited rules can be overwritten by more general rules in many cases. Rules cannot be temporarily disabled. Switching from trusted to untrusted networks is inconvenient. Firefox is handled in a strange way, to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I use it on my desktop, but it could use some polishing. 3.0 might change some of this, but the beta seems a bit rough, so I have not tried it.

24. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Summing up all the posts in this thread I am going to stick with Comodo firewall. I have experianced everything to the point of jumping in the river. I like it and will overcome all the trials thrown at me. :D

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Good move.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.