ZA antispyware FREE today

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Just got this news:

ZA antispyware--firewall plus AS is free from 700AM today until 700AM tomorrow PST. link is www.zonealarm.com/patchtuesday
    You need to register your name and e mail address. Subscription is valid good for one year. An Excellent effort exhibited by another responsible corporate friend. Take care.

2. combo

combo Registered Member

link doesn'T work.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks;

Just recheck the link again, should be www.zonealarm.com/patchtuesday.
    a dot was missing from previous post. But the page is not there anymore. Strange and funny. Did someone hack into their site and play an early April fool. o_O

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

5. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Thx :thumb: Works fine here :D

6. dNor

dNor Registered Member

First posted link didn't work as they're "really busy with requests, try later" but the second one posted by Perman to the store works fine!

Thanks for the headsup. :thumb:

7. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

no Vista :(

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

HI,

Keep your hopes UP!

Perhaps on next, next patchtuesday special ? ;)

9. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

great, will watch for it.....

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

While it is refreshing to see this freebie offer, ZA has been a disappointment for awhile now. Other than the prompting for outgoing connections, I'm not seeing much difference between most of the firewalls, Vista Firewall included, when tested against the Shields-Up test scenarios.

11. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Ok I was thinking that you only got the anti-spyware app and not its firewall. I still want to use the anti-spyware but not the firewall because comodo is already on my computer. Will it still be safe to install this program on my system and just disable zonealarm's firewall component? Has anyone else tried doing this yet?

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Don,t bother for it. Not a good idea. AS is poor. Only its behav blocker( OS FireWall) is nice.

13. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

What engine do they use for their ASo_O

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t know. Never used except trials etc but I have never read about its AS to be more than mediorice anywhere.

15. 19monty64

Yea, same here iirc. Bad install of just the f/w for me a few months back...

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks;

Although this app is wrapped up and is presented to us as an Antispyware, its true colour is actually a firewall. Only two features, according to ZA's own web site, distinguish it from ZA pro--the other firewall we all know about; they are identity protection and privacy protection. Most users hook onto it is for its super 3 layers firewall protection; namely network, application and O/S , in addition, less expensive than its twin(90%, shall we say) ZA pro.

IMO, for those who are still hunting quality free firewall, time is running out. My daughter in university has spread the words, most of her classmates are rushed to install this special--which I feel is very stable and no slowdown. Take care.

17. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Testing it-no problems at all-its great-THANKS:thumb:

18. 19monty64

Hairy Coo,
    Can you let us know how it works out for you? I'm still "playing" with WDF, but Wordward and I will probably bug you over the next few days about the specs. We've all tested the same firewalls lately and might be able to make a comparison...

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I hate to admit it 19monty64, but I have it installed right now. And yes let's bug HC, he doesn't seem to mind. LOL. I will say it installed without any problems and everything is running as well as it did with WDF. I have also installed ThreatFire and switched to Avast Home. So far I like this combo. The GUI is more to my liking than WDF and the logs are easy to understand. I would like to know what the advantages are with the Triple Firewall though. I'm not sure I fully understand what all this is suppose to protect against. Take care and see ya all later.

20. 19monty64

LMAO...I knew you would be all over that offer...LMAO...I've dLo'ed it too, just haven't installed it yet. I like to keep myself in suspense so I can "dream of firewalls"...LMAO :D

21. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I actually paid for this a while (April) ago. If you're into leaktest results, firing on all cylinders it rates the same as ZA Pro (8600 - Very Good) at Matousec.

The anti-spyware module is so-so, but as has been mentioned, the "triple" firewall is the money here. Another thing that I found is that it worked very well with any AV that I tried with it. For free, it should be a done deal.

22. 19monty64

What is it's min/max ram usageo_O Any slow-down on loading of web-pages or boot-up timeso_O It's been a while since I've used ZA, as it failed to install the last time I tried...

23. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up! Although, i just visited the ZA forum and i think i will wait for the next release before installing it. :D

24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

as usual with most freebies, not Vista compatible.:p there are a few exceptions but not many.

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I just left there too. I did not find many postings re this build 408, except one fellow who installed ZA AS before bed time, thinking it was a pure AS and would do wonderful thing for him during overnight, then woke to find all his settings were screwed up. Poor guy he is. This ZA AS is actually a firewall in disguise. There are many setting needed to be configured (but not too complicated). If this one issue halts you from using it, think twice, if I were you. I have used many versions of ZASS, ZA Pro before, this build of ZAAS is few that I have not encountered any problem upon installation. Perhaps ZA has learned from past errors and has polished this one. :) Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.