ZA 6 Free vs Sunbelt Kerio 4.2.3 Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by q1aqza, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Is it fair to say that the free version of Sunbelt Kerio offers more advanced protection than the free version of ZA?

I have played with both of them and Kerio seems to be more effective for application control i.e. programs launching other programs and also has network intrusion detection which I now understand (from recent posts about the WMF exploit) that the Kerio IDS uses SNORT - is that correct? I'm not technical enough to understand much about SNORT but I have read that it is one of the foremost IDS.

As far as free firewalls are concerned these two are my shortlist. In terms of GUI, useability, system performance and compatibility with my other security apps I like them both pretty much equally, so my decision is based on which offers the strongest overall protection.

2. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I didnt know Sunbelts Kerio was free, thought it was a paid version.

3. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

There is also a free version, just like when Kerio offered a free and paid. One advantage is that Sunbelt sells the paid version for $19.95 (USD) and until March 31 you can get it for $14.95.

There is info and comparison between free and paid here:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

For now I would say ZoneAlarm. I first need to see how Sunbelt can keep the development of Kerio PF up. Because maintaining somebody else his program can be really difficult.

(Maybe the develloper comments are even written in Czech, and the Sunbelt company is American.)

5. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Ok now my Q here is do you actually download the paid one first and after 1 month that becomes free and some of the options are disabled or somthing like that.

6. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Download Sunbelt Kerio,it is the full version,at the end of the trial period either buy/register or continue with the free version.....just some features stop working.At $14.95 for the full version why not have all the features?

7. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I'm interested in free version (of any firewalll) as apart from my own main PC there are 5 other PCs in my household and with that many $14.95 adds up !!

The features that stop working is the web filtering (which I don't use) and the HIPS - which is a nice feature but I am considering KAV2006 when it is released and that has HIPs features anyway - no need to buy HIPS twice !!

8. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

To directly answer your question, SB Kerio 4.23 in free mode will offer more protection than the latest release of ZA free. ZA free offers no "advanced" protection at all. SB Kerio free will still offer network and application protection while dropping the HIPS protection as well as web annoyance filtering.

9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Thanks. I was reasonably sure that it was the case but it's good to have someone else agree.

10. mattc

mattc Guest

My experience has been as follows:

1) XP built in firewall has not caused any noticable slowdown
    2) Zonealarm Free - Very responsive as well
    3) Netveda Safety.net - Also very good

I tried sunbelt's (kerio) firewall and it installs fine, but I notice a slowdown in loading pages, especially graphically intense pages such as Newegg's homepage, etc..

Did not seem bad on resources, but I have two P4's and an AMD machine and all were noticeably slower in loading pages. That said, there are some tweaks as I noticed it had cookie and ad filters, among others. Even after unchecking those, my browsing did not seem as "snappy" as when using the other programs.

11. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

By itself, I'd say ZA 6 Free offers more protection b/c of it's HIPS. however, if your going to be using a seperate HIPS then i'd go with Sunbelt free. I've used Kerio in the past and liked it, and never had a problem with browsing slowdown (to the person who had slowdowns, did you make sure to clean out your registry after uninstalling your previous browser? many Firewalls leave behind crap in the registry that can interefere with future firewalls).

12. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Are you sure you didn't intervert their name here?? o_O

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Some people mentioned HIPS, IDS, filtering etc.
    A firewall is supposed to be traffic and maybe application monitor. It's true test is the quality of closing / stealthing ports, adaptability to a variety of protocols, like ICS on LAN, P2P etc, and the ability to handle heavy traffic.
    If you want web-filtering and HIPS, there are better dedicated solutions for that.
    If you close your firewall, you lose both firewall, HIPS AND filtering. If you use 3 separate programs (not necessarily with more cpu usage etc), you still have 2 vital protection rings.
    Go for ZA free, Proxomitron web-filter and DefenseWall HIPS and you won't be disappointed - very low footprint and excellent defense.
    I tried both Kerio and ZA - I think ZA is a bit better - MIND, this is personal opinion. Kerio 4.2 also had a bad start reputation, with bugs and bloats.
    Mrk

14. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Kerio free (after expiry of full version) does not have HIPS but it does retain its NIPS and application behaviour functions (not to confuse application behaviour with application outbound control) and it is these two functions that ZA does not have in its free version, only its paid-for versions such as Pro or suite.

15. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yep for ZA, but about Kerio, NIPS are exclusive to the paid version :) , you only keep behaviour blocking in the free one.

Cheers,
    nicM

16. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

This is not correct.............

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

This page has alist of the features in each version of Sunbelt Kerio

17. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Duh, you're right, I did intervert the names, this time :D : yes, you keep intrusion detection (NIPS, what I did intervert with HIPS), I did post too fast, thinking q1aqza was taking about HIPS. Nips, Hips, damn names...:rolleyes:.

Thanks, and sorry.

18. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

@ q1aqza:
    you could consider to wait a month and go for KIS2006, you'll have a nice firewall together with that HIPS and IMHO that's the best suite I've ever seen!
    Personaly I would go for Kerio too regarding the free firewalls

19. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I have certanily considered it and have played with the beta versions and was impressed by it, but I'm 90% certain I will renew my KAV 5 licence for KAV2006 (only 90% coz I have the chance of using McAfee Enterprise 8.0 through work) but I'm quite sure I won't upgrade to the suite . I feel there are too many good free firewalls out there (of which ZA and Kerio are my favourites) to warrant paying the extra for KIS2006.

20. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

i would say kerio is better ( i use it atm). its very user friendly and at the same time flexible! i've had no problems with kerio so far so its working perfectly. for me, it does use up quite a bit of memory (around 20 mbs) but so does ZA and i dont really mind. anyway i prefered kerio since it provides better protection in its free version and previous use of ZA PRO (latest version) have led so several problems & annoyances...also ZA free has super limited protection as seen here:http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...arison.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=ho_za

21. Howard

Howard Registered Member

22. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have not come across DefenseWall before, but just had a quick look at their site. Just wondering if this would already be covered by BOCLean and PG (paid). Don't really want to add superfluous functions.

23. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Yep,that's why I'm here looking around.Tried to stop ZAP from phoning but couldn't,even with the hosts file.

Got a hardware firewall so only really need program control.Will go and have a look at Online Armour.

24. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

I tried Sunbelt Kerio over the weekend, and didn't like it. First, I thought that I would be able to try out HIPS, but it was disabled right out of the box...not a big deal since the rest of the experience wasn't great. System resource usage, compared to ZA Free was "pretty bad". I don't have my notes in front of me, but Kerio used twice as much memory (on my system) than ZA Free does. The deal breaker was not being able to pass the Shields Up! firewall leak test. I know $15 is a good deal, but not when it means failure in leak tests AND using more system resources....All in all, it's good to try out different products, but uninstalling ZA Free, installing Kerio, then reinstalling ZA Free was mostly a waste of time for me...

25. nicM

nicM nico-nico

There was probably something wrong with that installation.

Here again, there was something wrong with your setup, because Kerio free does block it without a glitch! The full version does even block most of the leaktest , I've just tested it yesterday: the very few to bypass Kerio were only two tests from AWT (thoses using "create thread", giving Kerio 6/10), and DNSTester. With maybe one of the 4 tests included in WallBleaker, but I'm not sure about this result.

Looks like you were running the free version, with something wrong in its settings :)

Cheers,
    nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.