Your Worst Software Experience:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wtsinnc, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

HP printer/scanner software.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Was that experience under XP, Vista, or both?

3. Aaron Here

I couldn't agree more with your #'s 2 and 3 (no experience with #1).

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

A really old version of KAV. Nothing locked up my system as bad as that thing did. Had a hell of a time trying to undo that mess. :ouch:

snowbound

5. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Strange as it may sound, my worst experience has become my best experience with the same software, Rollback Rx Pro.

I first purchased RB in its early v7 incarnation and it turned out to be a disaster (literally) waiting to happen! I suffered major corruption of my system partition (3 times!) and it was only because of my Acronis True Image backups (I was an ardent ATI user then), that I was able to recover on each of those frightening occaisions.

As I felt quite secure with my daily ATI backups, I cooperated with the RB support-team and stuck it out through a few subsequent revisions. I now still use the final RB v7 build and it has not only been problem-free, it has become my favorite (I might even say indispensible) program!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  6. 031

031 Registered Member

• Norton av 2006 almost made me mad , it took me about two days to get rid of it.
    • Then comes spyware doctor . It was heavy , slow and generated huge amount of false positives .
    • F-secure 2008 is also a disaster.
    • Though creative makes excellent soundcards, their drivers aren't that good. I had to experience a lot of bsod because of their bloated driver.

7. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

My worst experience:

PowerShadow + uninstall = repair installation of Windows

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Windows ME

9. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I'm guessing that NIS 2004 ranks right up there.:thumbd:

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

If you only use the Acronis boot-cd, Clonezilla Live does the same thing for free :)

11. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Tried that one. Had a problem with the Nvidia 750i chipset with SATA III onboard. Had the same problem (hard drive not accessible) with the boot cd for Acronis. I contacted Acronis and they gave me a download for a new boot cd that would recognize my chipset. I could not do that with Clonezilla. Acronis is still the one for me.
    SourMilk out

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Without a doubt the most troublesome software to fix has to be NAV. Going way back to the late 90's.

The most botched installs -- anything USB related. More people have problems with these than any other. Some need device plugged in before driver, some other way around. Many times devices are confused because devices are plugged into different ports than originally installed in.

Most difficult to repair -- registry edits. Hands down. Who backs up thier registry after all? lol.

Most heinous piece of software -- Outpost firewall - many versions- when coupled with duo core cpu's. You have to mix and match to find one that does not BSOD. They knew of the issue, but had way less than stellar support on it. And I use it till this day, go figure.

All-time most cursed at, spat upon and generally disliked -- the computer. It really is a love/hate relationship. I think it should have been called an addiction instead of a computer.

Sul.

13. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Along time ago... Norton.
    Most recent... Norton System Works.

14. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I have been reading these, and I have to say, I don't consider Nero a worst experience. I think nero has become a disappointment, along with other of the software mentioned here, such as Norton Products (All, starting with XP Editions, maybe the last 9x too). I loved Norton Utilities/NAV back in the vX.X days, before they switched to years for versions. (IE NU8 )

Office '07 is bloaty, but then what from Microsoft (or even most commercial developers anymore) isn't?? After having used Office 2007, I can't call it a disappointment though. Forcing myself to use it for school, it does seem fairly intuitive to me. I like the ribbon. It took me some time to get used to new placement of items, but the ribbon is almost like a toolbar on steroids. I can't argue that I think its a nice change from the 20 years of "File Edit View..." I think that a lot of 'complaint' from it is from the concept that people hate change. We've gotten so used to menubars, I'm sure there are better ways to do things. Maybe the ribbon isn't it, but at least its a try at something new.

I'm trying to think but I can't think of any software that jumps out at me as a really really bad experience. Nero Showtime (yea, the media player as part of the suite) does rank as a bad thing, but I still use it. Worst experience.. Windows ME.. Definitely bad bad bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
  15. guest

guest Guest

Avira.
    find virus, cant delete. Again Again Again.

True Image
    backup to cd, cant restore.

Norton Ghost
    Backup file corrupted

Kaspersky 2009
    i dont like this version. it is not easy, userfriendly. i think.

16. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

XP SP3 on two computers only.

17. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Yes, my little edit:

1. Horror for Windows XP : SP3 ( KB936929 )
    2. Evil: Clean StreamMRU Stream keys (on RegSeeker/Histories ...) = Restoration of Windows.

RegSeeker is very very GOOD; except this option!

That's all for today.

Yours PRO

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

NIS 2003-2005...never again! 2002 was, imo, the last great version. I can not comment on versions after 2005; maybe they are better but it's too late now.

Spysweeper 4.5 & >...bloated and useless crap.

Diskeeper 10.0.x ...the software is okay but the constant spamming from the company trying to get me to upgrade is infuriating :mad:

19. Aaron Here

There may be something else going on - it does the job for me!

20. raakii

raakii Registered Member

1)Acronis Disk Director Suite and Acronis True image have hidden 2 of my important data partition , recovery was the most terrifing thing .

2)Reinstalled xp 20 times (for my comp)in single month last year.Now i have luxury of image backups.

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Strange,I replaced it with Returnil,uninstall went with no problems,btw Powershadow is still a good app.but sadly feedback is (was ?) zero.

22. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Ah you to with AE,Its Anti Excutable alright:blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.