You have to try this one out

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    First, I have written about this before in several threads, so if mods feel this should not be here, please feel free to delete.
    I want to share something with the community I have found very very useful, and for some reason, very few people found it of any interest.
    The concept: creating your own router for $0.
    Catch: you need 2 computers.
    The idea is very simple (sorry for repeating myself CrazyM): Configure an ICS on your home computers. This will turn the gateway into NAT router. Now, if you turn off your software firewall, you will find out your ports are all closed.
    My brother uses this (2 comps), comps at my parents' home (3 comps) are configured this way, mine are configured this way. Very very neat.
    Now, I do not suggest running without a firewall.
    But this is a great backup that should give you an extra notch of security. Or you will not be compromised if your firewall is shut down, disabled etc...
    Cheers all, have a good day,
    Mrk

2. RooBARB

RooBARB Guest

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Mrkvonic
    You have a couple of other threads on this already:
    Security without firewall
    Hardening your system in a mysterious way
    Let's try and keep any further discussion to one of them. This one is closed.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.