YonToo?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by WingFat, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WingFat

WingFat Registered Member

Today for the first time I started getting some warnings from ESET that it was blocking addresses with "yontoo" in them. It was only doing this in Firefox and when I visited Google sites like YouTube. I tried to do some research and what I found was that while Yontoo is questionable it's not strictly malware. I tried to go to yontoo.com directly to view their website but it was blocked by ESET (in both Firefox and IE).

I'm a little concerned because ESET just started throwing up these warnings today and I've never had the issue before. I haven't made any changes to my computer recently. I do have a Firefox video download plugin installed that is apparently tied to Yontoo; however, I've had it for years and it's a really popular add-on so I don't know why it's started throwing up warnings today. I did not use the downloader today, the warnings just seemed to come up by themselves as soon as I went to YouTube.

Did ESET just start blocking Yontoo today? Should I be worried something is not right with my computer?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. WingFat

Can someone confirm that going to yontoo.com throws up a block from ESET?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes it does.

5. WingFat

OK thanks... I'm going to assume it's related to the video downloader since the problem only happens in Firefox and I did confirm the video downloader is somehow linked to Yontoo.

Does anyone know how long ESET has been blocking Yontoo? The only thing I find worrisome is that the problem just started happening today.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is also blocked in IE.

I imagine ESET keeps their list of unwanted items up to date and the list can change at anytime.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. megaforce

megaforce Registered Member

I got on here for the same reason as wingfat~ Eset just started warning me about yontoo being blocked, continually popping up~ I have same programs as wingfat, that is Firefox and video downloader~ Upon inspection I have yontoo installed, which I did NOT install and It refuses to allow me to uninstall it~ It is definitely adware, in my opinion~ I'll let you know after I find a way to uninstall it~

8. WingFat

Glad to know it's not just me. I have removed the Easy YouTube Downloader from Firefox. If you hit Ctrl-Shift-A in Firefox you can get to the extensions manager. From what I understand, Easy YouTube Downloader uses Yontoo somehow, but I did not have any files named "Yontoo" on my computer so I don't think it installed anything extra (although there is a deluxe ad-supported version that I never installed that might add extra stuff).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.