Yet again, another question by me ...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Comp01, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Sep 4, 2003
    I was just wondering, on Sygate, should I use a password? .... My only problem with this, is, what happens if I forget the password? then I cannot get into my firewall ... and will not be able to shut it down :doubt:
  2. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Hi Comp01

Never mind about asking a load of questions thats what everyone is here for, the more you ask the more you know, as for the question about passwords - the reason is that some firewalls can be bypassed by a virus or other scripting and this can disable the firewall, the hacker then has a free run of your system and it's contents, if the firewall has a password inside it the hacker will more or less fail in disabling the firewall because he/she needs to know the password.

I hope I got this right I was on the beer last night and am struggling a bit today, If I am wrong then I am sure I will be corrected.
  3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Hi Comp01. Another good reason to have a password is to keep anyone with direct access to your PC from changing your settings. :D
  4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Nov 22, 2002
    At my computer
    Hi Comp - a good way to keep track of different passwords and screennames is go to your nearest store and for 99 cents pick up a little notepad and write them all down and keep it in your desk or somewhere safe. That is the only way I can remember stuff. By the way, I use a password with ZAPro and although at times it can be a pain, it is worth it for the reasons ManyThanks & Beetlejuice stated. :cool:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.