year of living dangerously

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Well it's almost year end (ok so I'm rushing it) but even tho I have not been hit with anything my wife & daughter have both been nailed with Malware (vundo & my daughter's machine was so infested it couldn't be cleaned) . I am the one that ends up doing the work or restore. I also while I tout that I don't lend much to tests I do think they hold up the contention that it has been one rough year. I will also be honest no matter what I run I just don't feel safe anymore even some of the mundane baseball froums I visit (just recently) had a trojan that kaspersky blocked. I just have been in a death spiral of jump from this to that, I'm ready to unplug & pretend it's the 80's again...sorry to vent but I feel insecure today, thanks for listening...

2. demonon

demonon Guest

Tell us what sort of security you use.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi larry whats your set ups for wife and daughter.Do they use limited or standard accounts and What defenses are in place. What browsers are they using or how are they configured.These things in mind can make a big difference and surf habbits of course.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello Larry,

Would you be kind enough to share with us Wilder's members what security software you were running on your wife and/or daughters') computers when they were so badly infested?

The reason I ask is that I have cleaned (or attempted to clean) many dozens of infected systems this year, and appx. two-thirds of these systems were running some flavor of Norton and/or AVG Free (flame-suit on). I am always interested in "real world" results.....

5. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I contracted Vundo on my computer. I found out using ClamWin portable. Avast, McAfee, Ad-Aware, or SpyBot didn't even detect the infection. Too bad ClamWin does not have disinfection features :(.

I realized that I had N360 in a box somewhere...all the negative reviews made me scared to put it on my computer...

I installed it without a hitch, and it removed 5 instances of Vundo and SpySheriff, which I thought was already removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.