Yahoo Said to Buy Rockmelt for More Than $50 Million

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-02/yahoo-said-to-buy-rockmelt-for-more-than-50-million.html

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't know if this is good or bad. I would hate to think that Yahoo! will try to push Rockmelt at me every time I sign into my mail.

Does anyone use Rockmelt? Is it any good?

3. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Maybe with Yahoo's billions behind it, Rockmelt might end up as a good browser. I vaguely recall looking at it a couple of years ago and lost interest when I realised it was a social browser.

4. Daveski17

I remember having a look at Flock (Gecko version) once. I wasn't particularly impressed & it seemed to be quite buggy.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have never used it sorry, but I wonder when miss Mayer's shopping spree will come to an end. :D

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I jut want to know what her plans are for for this shopping spree. I'd imagine her shareholders do as well. I wonder if she'd be doing all this if Icahn was still on the board, lol. That one-man corporate Black Plague would probably be making her life a living hell.

Anyway, even if she's that interested in social, that 50 mil could have been spent on something better than Rockmelt. It never really "caught fire", and I fail to see how Yahoo could make it any better.

7. Daveski17

I suppose she just thought that if Google have Chrome, why can't Yahoo! have Rockmelt? :D

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Some times I wonder how a dying company like yahoo can afford to throws millions of dollar buying trash software every other day. I think she wil kill yahoo much earlier than it,s natural death date.

No company can survive today without innovation and new ideas. I wonder if all board members are blind as well.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm assuming she has some sort of plan cooking to integrate several Yahoo services into it, perhaps all of them in one browser. It's, to me at least, the only sensible reason to take over something like Rockmelt. Maybe even trying to bring up their own social network again (Mash didn't go so well). I doubt they have any real interest in making their own browser like Chrome/IE/FF.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Tell that to the computer security industry.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes but the thing that stands out to me is that they've bought not 1,2,3 companys, but 20! So I surely hope they have a serious plan they are following. If not then I don't see much sense in buying all these companys.

But they never got their hands on Hulu, so what ever plan they have it didn't work out quite as expected I guess. :doubt:

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Nobody got their hands on Hulu though, it was decided that it would stay in current hands. Considering the things she's buying, I'm betting on either their own social network or a shift towards social in general. 20 companies isn't all that much when you consider Google probably buys out a company per day anymore, lol. Sure, Google has more cash than Yahoo will probably ever see again in its lifespan, but the number of buys isn't all that high. It's what you buy that counts and makes everyone go "hmm".

I had said it in a past discussion, but Yahoo seems to be making a Hail Mary move, and she's either going to be Raphael Semmes or Edward Smith in the end. Either way, Yahoo isn't going to be getting very many opportunities to become relevant again, so she better know what she's doing.

13. Daveski17

Yes, I should imagine that you're right. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah I know Hulu stayed in current hands, that's why I said that if Hulu was a "piece" in their plan, then that piece is missing.

Yeah maybe it is some social stuff they got in mind, hard to tell for sure, maybe we'll know more next week when yet another company gets acquired :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.