xxx .Spylog.com ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by NYScott, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYScott

NYScott Registered Member

Hi:

I'm trying out a Russian MP3 website (I know what you're thinking, but I'm very careful!!) called AllofMP3.com. When I went to the site this morning, I saw on the Status Bar of my browser window that the page that was opening had the address of:
    u422. 22.spylog .com

Obviously, the term "spylog" made me curious, so I ran a search on Google. I came up with a few hits, but nothing helpful.

Does anyone have any idea what xxx .spylog. com would be, or, what spylog. com is?

Thanks!!
    -s

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. NYScott

Hi, Pieter:

Thank you. I've d/loaded Spoofstick for IE (unfortunately, no version for Mozilla - only Firefox). I'll run it & see what happens.

-Scott

4. NYScott

OK, I installed & enabled Spoofstick. I went to allofmp3, and then began to log in (which is where I previously saw the spylog url). Again, the u422. etc .spylog URL showed in the status bar, but Spoofstick said I was still on AllofMp3.

So the spylog URL was only there during the login process, which is kinda scary, or not, since I don't know if it means anything...

Any thoughts? Any idea what spylog is? Anyone speak or read Russian?

Thanks!
    -s

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

6. NYScott

Hi, Pieter:

I did a little more research - you're right, it is a tracking cookie. Nothing nefarious, though; not adware or spyware.

The company that created Spylog is a Russian company, but for the US market, they renamed it "Mytrix" (I assume because other people like me were immediately put off by the name Spylog). But since I was using a Russian site, the Russian version was there... You can learn about it at mytrix . com , and via the English version of Pravda online.

Anyway, thanks for the help!!

-Scott

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

(half OT: wished they had such a spoofstick thing for win98 systems too! or maybe there is a known javascript? Program looks really handy! How often don't i run into pages telling "cookies required, not seeing that URL nowhere in the firewall list, adding it manually with some allowance, no change, so it must be a redirection etc so such a tool would really really be handy!
    If somebody knows one, i'm interested to learn and tell others)

8. testtest

testtest Guest

If you look carefully, a lot of "free" Russian sites have the SPYLOG counter. Never had any problem with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.