Xubuntu 13.04 review - Et tu, Brute?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Did they remove the zeitgeist tracking like they did in Linux Mint 15?

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

made the switch to Xubuntu yesterday. It was perfect.

Now where do I find the gui for firewall?

EDIT: nvm, I installed gufw ^^

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there's also Firestarter but i heard that has not been updated in a long while.

4. moontan

since the 'buntus 13.04 have been out i've been trying a few distros.
    but i always seem to go back to XFCE.

i like that Xubuntu comes with very few softwares.
    no Mono sucking Tomboy and Banshee here. lol ;)
    no Libre Office or Java installed either.
    lean and trim fighting machine, stable as a rock. :thumb:

Xubuntu 13.04 is the best debian based implementation of XFCE i have tried so far.

if it was anatomically possible, i would have its children. lol :argh:

5. moontan

... and still running Xubuntu.
    because i haven't found nothing better on my machine so far this year.

the only problem i had was some slight rendering issues in Firefox when scrolling but i have just found out it can be fixed by disabling Smooth Scrolling in Firefox.

the NVIDIA drivers work smoothly and i have no problems installing 32 bits software on this 64 bits machine.

looking forward to see how the Final version of Mint XFCE will be.
    but it better be damn good to replace Xubuntu 13.04 on my machine.

6. bwat47

bwat47 Registered Member

Still running xubuntu on both my machines here as well, its an excellent release (and the major kernel bug discussed earlier on has now been fixed for quite a while so now its rock stable as well). Xubuntu is also by far my favorite implementation of XFCE too. Xubuntu does several things out of the box that requires much tweaking in other XFCE distros. The biggest being that xubuntu fully supports pulseaudio out of the box. The xubuntu team uses indicator-sound and pavucontrol out of the box instead of xfce's very lacking mixer (xfce4-mixer really only works properly with straight alsa, it was also un-maintained for a long time and only recently started getting updates again), and they also re-wrote xfce4-volumed to support pulseaudio (upstream xfce4-volumed is very buggy when used with pulseaudio).

The smooth-scrolling issue in firefox is most likely due to XFWM's compositing. Unfortunately XFWM only supports "xrender" based compositing, which sucks because xrender has no way to prevent video tearing. With firefox's "smooth scrolling" disabled it just makes the issue less noticeable. Without vsync'd opengl compositing you will see ugly tearing when smooth-scrolling in firefox, moving windows around, watching videos and such.

However, I found an excellent solution for this in XFCE/xubuntu (and also any other lightweight desktop that does not support opengl compositing, such as LXDE): Compton.

Compton is a very lightweight, standalone, window manager agnostic compositor that has a decent opengl backend. At least on my intel hardware it totally removes all video tearing. I wrote a guide on using it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468

Using this I get no tearing anywhere, whether its smooth-scrolling in firefox, moving windows, or watching video.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Gufw is your friend in Ubuntu - its a set and forget it graphical front end to .ufw firewall tables! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.